netflix

JPB

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 02:35 pm
We have a Blockbuster nearby but they don't carry much other than new releases. We're thinking about trying netflix. Does anyone have any experience with them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 938 • Replies: 16
No top replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 03:07 pm
I have it, it's fun. If you rent movies much at all, it's worth the money. We watch movies every weekend so we get a lot for our money, and the service is always pretty fast. We've only had a couple of scratched discs and they were never so bad that we couldn't watch the movie.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 03:23 pm
Thanks, c_cat. We tend to not watch many movies because we have completely different taste in entertainment. We thought we could each pick something and watch it together (or not Cool )
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 03:26 pm
Re: netflix
J_B wrote:
We have a Blockbuster nearby but they don't carry much other than new releases. We're thinking about trying netflix. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I have had Blockbuster Online for nearly a year, and I am thinking of switching to Netflix. There are plenty of selections at Blockbuster Online, but their quality control is awful. I am finding that , more and more often, that I am receiving badly damaged DVDs.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 03:26 pm
Yeah, that would work well w/ netflix (or blockbuster's service, it's just as good), because you can choose so many for the same price. Just take turns adding picks to your queue!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:39 pm
I have already had the experience of Netflix shipping much faster than Blockbuster but maybe they have improved. The Netflix foreign and independent library is also more extensive.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:17 am
i've had Netflix since it first came out and it's been awesome!! such a great idea for cinephiles. now they have features that allow you to make a list of movies that you want to see, and make an additional one for your significant other or roommate or whoever may be sharing the subscription w/you. i kinda hope they change the interface of the list system though, b/c you have to put in numbers in a box instead of being able to drag the title up and down...a minor inconvenience. they have a pretty good selection of blockbusters and foreign films, and most importantly, great for catching up on all those cable TV shows i've been missing out... i just downgraded from 3 to 2 dvds out for like $15, which is totally affordable.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:18 am
How are the physical quality of the DVDs? Do you get many damaged ones that are unplayable?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:24 am
Gotta love Netflix.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:39 am
Been with Blockbuster Online and Netflix both. Netflix is 10x better than Blockbuster online. WIth Netflix, you get your movies quickly, we have yet to get one damaged and their selection is pretty good. The only problem I've found is that you have to search for new releases sometimes. It's weird. Like they don't want you to find the newest ones. They are not always listed on the new release page.

But all in all, if you watch lots of movies, it is definitly worth the money. If you don't watch a lot, you might want to reconsider because you pay the monthly fee no matter how many you do or do not rent.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:45 am
Bella Dea- Thanks. I am getting sick and tired of returning damaged movies to Blockbuster. I am not that concerned about getting the newest movies. It really does not matter to me. A good movie is a good movie. At Blockbuster, I have found some great stuff that is about 3-5 years old.
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 03:13 pm
Bella, I agree that it's difficult to find new releases at times. Also it's usually hard to get new releases right away. However, I have no complaints and the only damaged DVDs I got were due to my dog biting them when the mailman put them through the mail slot. I really like their documentary selections and any excuse to not deal with Blockbuster is worth it for me.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:01 pm
yeah if netflix sends you a damaged dvd they'll send you a new one and sometimes add bonus one to your list. their customer service has been pretty good.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:15 pm
I've been using Netflix for about a year. I've had only a couple (barely) scratched DVDs. The selection is pretty good (MUCH better than video store chains). Availability is good. Lot's of reviews, which I like. It usually takes two days to get the movies, sometimes three. (I still go to the video store if I really want to see something that night.) All in all... Yes. Thumbs Up. Netflix is good.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:27 pm
I have two different brands of CD/DVD polishers/scratch remover devices. Usually, I will run a NetFlix disc through before I even try and play it as I've had some moderate amount of trouble with freezing-up data in the past. They suggest cleaning with a soft cloth and Windex. That's a no-no -- Windex has ammonia in it which eventually will destroy the intergrity of the acrylic coating, clouding the surface of the disc. Both the devices I have are powered. I purchased one for $25.00 and the other for $39.00.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 09:10 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
How are the physical quality of the DVDs? Do you get many damaged ones that are unplayable?

I've been using Netflix for a little over a year now and get 3 movies every week. So far I've had 1 that was unplayable, 3 or 4 that had a skip or two but were still playable and 3 "lost in the mail" movies (2 on the way to me, one on return).

Percentage-wise I think they do pretty well as far as getting you discs in good shape.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:11 am
I've had in the past worse results of at least 30% bad discs/lost in the mail. Since I now routinely repair them in advance (with a visual inspection first), I have had no problem.
0 Replies