The Hollywood Musical - Part 2: "The Broadway Melody"

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 11:08 pm
An elaborate and innovative 1929 musical film which included one of the few sequences in two strip Technicolor (red and green to obtain fleshtones). It set off a rash of musical films, almost fifty of them in 1929 alone. The progenitor of the backstage plot line, it won the Oscar for the year and was reused in 1940 for Metro's "Two Girls on Broadway," only the setting was a glitzy nightclub instead of the vaudville stage.

"On With the Show" was released in May, 1929 and was a talkie entirely shot in two strip Technicolor, followed by "The Hollywood Revue of 1929,"
"Gold Diggers of Broadway," "Sunny Side Up" (with Janet Gaynor), "Rio Rita" (with a brief appearance of Abbott & Costello!), "Monte Carlo" (which paired Jeanette MacDonald with the English actor Jack Buchanan who 23 years later appeared in "The Bandwagon" as the kooky producer), and wrapped up 1932-33 with "The Big Broadcast" (Bing Crosby, George Burns and Gracie Allen) and "Hallelujah, I'm a Bum" (a Rodgers and Hart musical, yet!) Al Jolson was again on screen in "Hallelujah" with Frank Morgan (the Wizard of Oz), and the two song writers themselves. The plot dealt with social issues of the Great Depression, the plight of homless men forced to live in New York's Central Park. Ironically, these scenes were shot at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades. "You Are Too Beautiful" was one of the standards that survived.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0790748339.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,502 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 06:24 am
Yee-hah!! Let's talk early musicals! A worthy subject indeed. But how did you manage to write that whole post without once mentioning Busby Berkely? (sp.?)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 10:01 am
Be patient (sorry for overlooking Mr. Berkeley, but he's coming up spades in later parts) -- "The Broadway Melody" was choreographed by George Cunningham, "Rio Rita" by Pearl Eaton, and Busby Berkeley was introduced as the choreographer of "Whoopee!" with Eddie Cantor but I don't want to get too far ahead of the chronology. I did add "Whoopee!" to the poll.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 10:55 am
The Hollywood Musical
I voted for The Jazz Singer.
Why?
Because it's the only Hollywood musical I know from that period.
Gosh,GE, you've gotten too esoteric Exclamation
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 11:08 am
Could you please include hilarious Hal Roach's "Fra Diavolo" (AKA The Devil's Brother), so I can vote for it?
This operetta is, IMO, the funniest film ever made with Laurel & Hardy (Stanlio & Ollio, in the movie).
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 12:10 pm
I haven't voted yet. I'm like a kid in a candy store with only a nickel to spend. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 01:05 pm
"The Devil's Brother" is in the next part and "Hallelujah" should have been in the next poll (it's release was January 1933 and I've corrected the date to make this more chronologically accurate).
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 04:59 pm
Hi Lightwizard. I voted for Broadway Melody because I've seen portions of it on TCM and particularly like the Technicolor segment of "The Wedding of the Painted Doll", and because I like "You Were Meant for Me". I remember my mother talking about all of the movies in your poll and, if I recall correctly, she said that "Give My Regards to Broadway" was heard for the first time on screen in this movie over the credits.

This is a great idea for a series of threads. Keep 'em coming.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 05:16 pm
I'll be a better participant in future threads, LW, when you get to the more recent films with which I am more familiar. By 'more recent' I mean 1940s and 1950s. :-).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 08:07 pm
It'll be awhile before we get through the 30's and 40's -- the Golden Age brough us many great musicals. I know the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers flicks will sparks more activity -- like many of the film threads, this should spark you to see more of the oldies!
0 Replies