Spirituality In The Artistic Sense

spendius

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 04:20 pm
Think on this Chum-

Go to where there was once a endless forest in Northern Europe and look at the spires on the places of worship,some of which took 200 years to build.See them reaching into infinity,thrusting,and with a weathervane to tell you which way the wind blows.You don't need a weatherman etc.

Then go a few hundred miles south to outlying areas of the Sahara Desert and see the domes.The caverns.Caverns where no direct light enters.A limited world.Back to the womb.

And look at the stained glass windows and the strange light they produce in the cathedrals built especially to maximise the effects.Light machines I have heard them called.Without that no Rembrandt.
No perspective.
Did you know that serious accurate timekeeping was discovered in a church by a pious monk watching the light on the floor from one of those windows of ours whilst meditating.That's value.

Stonehenge is said to be along those lines but I don't know about that.

The Light Fantastic.Let there be light.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:13 pm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:16 pm
Chumly wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
In my opinion the first definition has nada to do with spirituality.
Both definitions of spiritual are straight out of the dictionary.

So the dictionary wars with itself, of no matter to me.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:09 pm
Quote:
local monolith realtor!)

I wish I'd thought of that.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:10 pm
Chumly wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
To recognise it AS art, yes.
That I would say.
OK. Then let's do an experiment

For the sake of argument would you be willing to accept that a sophisticated enough computer program could be wholly rational and exempt non-rationalities, and therefore be a fair portrayal of the rational part of your mind?

Hmm..bit of a loaded question there.
Considering we don't even understand how the rational mind works yet, I'm not sure how to answer.
Your question also seems to suggest that we are capable of separating fully our rational mind from 'the rest' in practice.
I don't think I'm willing to accept that premise.
Where are you going with this?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:43 pm
Skittering off into the wide blue yonder I should think.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 08:13 pm
I am rolling on the floor laughing, spendius is cracking me up! I'll have to get back later.........
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:57 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
To recognise it AS art, yes.
That I would say.
OK. Then let's do an experiment

For the sake of argument would you be willing to accept that a sophisticated enough computer program could be wholly rational and exempt non-rationality's, and therefore be a fair portrayal of the rational part of your mind?

Hmm..bit of a loaded question there.
Considering we don't even understand how the rational mind works yet, I'm not sure how to answer.
Your question also seems to suggest that we are capable of separating fully our rational mind from 'the rest' in practice.
I don't think I'm willing to accept that premise.
Where are you going with this?
In answer to your question, I am firstly trying to get you to see that (at least in the hypothetical sense) that is its possible (for argument's sake, if nothing else) for the rational and non rational to be discrete. If not in your mind as you know it, then in an externalized format. So the question is not as loaded as you perhaps make it out to be.

On that basis I have said the rational process might be achievable with a sophisticated enough computer. So here is where you would need to agree in order for me to move forward !

Having established that you would agree as to the possibility of such a computer, I then will make discussion as to your stated views on art and rationality.

It might be fun, and it's certainly of no harm, and it even relates to the topic at hand, which is a bit of a novel concept at times. Now we will see if you find my post and respond Smile

Important Notes:
1) Personally I would be willing to argue that such a computer is achievable in the real world sense, in the not too distant future, and others such as Kurzweil and Minsky support my contention, but that is somewhat of another matter and not the point at hand.
2) Also I would like to point out that you do not need to fully understand how the rational mind works in order to build a computer that functions on that basis. In fact in designing this computer, the builders themselves need not understand it fully, but again that is not precisely the point at hand.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:02 pm
Hi Chumly.
Ok, I'll play.

Quote:

In answer to your question, I am firstly trying to get you to see that (at least in the hypothetical sense) that is its possible (for argument's sake, if nothing else) for the rational and non rational to be discrete. If not in your mind as you know it, then in an externalized format. So the question is not as loaded as you perhaps make it out to be.

Oh but I do see them as very distinct from each other in functionality and method. I just don't know that they can be separated, or even how one may function free of the other. Would a rational mind free of all emotional stimuli react the same as we would expect? Kinda hard to say until it is tested, which if not impossible, to my knowledge is beyond our means at this time.
Quote:

On that basis I have said the rational process might be achievable with a sophisticated enough computer. So here is where you would need to agree in order for me to move forward !

I would need to tack a few qualifiers on there to get close to agreeing. First, we would need an understanding of how the mind works. Second, we may need to feed the computer some sort of approximation of emotional stimulation to make it mimic the human mind, as per above.
Third, we would need to assume computer technology could achieve this, which is still hotly debated.
But ok, given all those things I could agree to said premise.
Quote:

1) Personally I would be willing to argue that such a computer is achievable in the real world sense, in the not too distant future, and others such as Kurzweil and Minsky support my contention, but that is somewhat of another matter and not the point at hand.

An easy argument to make (easier still for those of us with a bachelors in comp science) but you can't argue something into reality. Just ask the theists, they have been trying for centuries.
Quote:

2) Also I would like to point out that you do not need to fully understand how the rational mind works in order to build a computer that functions on that basis. In fact in designing this computer, the builders themselves need not understand it fully, but again that is not precisely the point at hand.

Even if no one person understands everything, a total understanding would be needed for the schematic in order to produce an acurate approximation of human reasoning.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:26 pm
http://www.paranormality.com/fractals.shtml

http://members.aol.com/SpinChaos/PageFract.html
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:40 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Oh but I do see them as very distinct from each other in functionality and method. I just don't know that they can be separated, or even how one may function free of the other. Would a rational mind free of all emotional stimuli react the same as we would expect? Kinda hard to say until it is tested, which if not impossible, to my knowledge is beyond our means at this time.
OK
Doktor S wrote:
I would need to tack a few qualifiers on there to get close to agreeing. First, we would need an understanding of how the mind works. Second, we may need to feed the computer some sort of approximation of emotional stimulation to make it mimic the human mind, as per above.
Third, we would need to assume computer technology could achieve this, which is still hotly debated.
But ok, given all those things I could agree to said premise.
Without (I hope belaboring the point) I do not agree that you have to know how the mind works in it's entirety in order to make a computer that acts like the rational part of your mind (Turing test). As to the second point, non-rational behavior is emotional by default (one might argue) hence not part of the definition of rational mind, although I concede that in the real world the two may not be separable, it is the reason I choose the computer analogy. Agreed on the third at least in terms of that only time will tell.
Doktor S wrote:
An easy argument to make (easier still for those of us with a bachelors in comp science) but you can't argue something into reality. Just ask the theists, they have been trying for centuries.
Agreed, but I have something to argue with that the theists do not appear to have, i.e. past and present exponential growth of computer power and sophistication, hence my arguments have real world substance and precedence.
Doktor S wrote:
Even if no one person understands everything, a total understanding would be needed for the schematic in order to produce an accurate approximation of human reasoning.
This is not needed. Why? Because even with today's computers and software (although the hardware cannot reconfigure itself YET) the software can "learn" to some degree. So we have the concept of a computer designing / redesigning itself (at least in part without direct human understanding) in an evermore able form, plus as mentioned we have the Turing test: it if quacks like a duck…

Besides all the above nifty stuff, I'll try and get back to the point at hand and see if I can get it where I wanna go.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:45 pm
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/fractals.htm
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:59 pm
Quote:

Agreed, but I have something to argue with that the theists do not appear to have, i.e. past and present exponential growth of computer power and sophistication, hence my arguments have real world substance and precedence.

Quote:

This is not needed. Why? Because even with today's computers and software (although the hardware cannot reconfigure itself YET) the software can "learn" to some degree. So we have the concept of a computer designing / redesigning itself (at least in part without direct human understanding) in an evermore able form, plus as mentioned we have the Turing test: it if quacks like a duck…

Oh, I know for a fact software exists that can adapt and 'learn' It isn't a thing of the future, but of the present. The technology is there, and I can very easily foresee thinking reasoning machines in the sooner than you think future.
My contention here is that I don't see any reason to believe their 'thinking' would in any way reflect our own. To build a machine that acurately reflects 'human' reasoning is something wholly different from a machine that reasons.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:02 pm
Yes fractals would appear to support the argument that you do not have to know how everything works ahead of time in order build complex systems!

Now I have to ponder how I am going to show what the rational mind can do vis a vis art as per
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

What does your rational mind tell you about something that is inherently art first and foremost?

Not a lot. I appreciate art as art.
That is how I got to thinking about this whole mess to start with.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:14 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Oh, I know for a fact software exists that can adapt and 'learn' It isn't a thing of the future, but of the present. The technology is there, and I can very easily foresee thinking reasoning machines in the sooner than you think future.
My contention here is that I don't see any reason to believe their 'thinking' would in any way reflect our own. To build a machine that acurately reflects 'human' reasoning is something wholly different from a machine that reasons.
Right you are, but I would contend that if you cannot tell the difference between the machine and a human when interacting with it on a *rational* basis, then this difference (*if* it exists) is academic, at least in terms of our continued dialogue.

Otherwise we head to un-chart-able territories and all is lost Confused

PS hope you don't mind if I tease you about the "sooner than you think" part, well you know what I am going to say........
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:19 pm
Have to go for a while; work.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 04:11 pm
Hey Doktor S,

I assume you now concur, at least reasonably so.

I propose that this rational machine can indeed recognize art (that is inherently art first and foremost) and many of the implications that come with the premise.

This is (arguably) contrary to your view
Chumly wrote:
What does your rational mind tell you about something that is inherently art first and foremost?
Doktor S wrote:
Not a lot.
Chumly wrote:
OK. Would it then be fair to say that you use your non-rational mind to recognize the art in question, and your rational mind to categorize it?
Doktor S wrote:
To recognise it AS art, yes. That I would say.
0 Replies