Spirituality In The Artistic Sense

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 01:58 am
If you agree that rational, scientifically based thoughts and actions are the way to go, how do you qualify/quantify the arts? Music does not seem to be rational and scientifically derived for example, even if it has mathematical underpinnings.

Is it fair to say a rational, scientifically biased viewpoint might still entertain spirituality in the artistic sense?

Spiritual:
Devoted to the world of the mind; concerned with intellectual or imaginative things.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of another world, especially a mystical or transcendental world: "The effect was dreamy, otherworldy".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,371 • Replies: 56
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 02:04 am
Very interesting thought, Chumly. I am quite intrigued. I will definitely be watching this. I am not scientifically minded much at all so I can't really speak to that. But I would agree that appreciating art and music can definitely have spiritual connotations.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 06:59 am
Music and art are very spiritual. It appeals directly to a person's emotions.
Actully, IMO, some of the best music and art was produced as a means of expressing religious thought, as the artist perceived their faith. The thing is, that the work of art or music is a man made invention, and only illustrates the artist's perception of belief.

Some of the times that I feel most "at one" with the world is when I am listening to a beautiful piece of music. Clouds, meadows, and mountains elicit the same sort of emotional experience for me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:58 am
Creativity, whether its a novel idea in the form of an equation, or a musical score, abides in the same areas of accomplishment.

Science is a discipline , pursued with passion
Art is a passion pursued with discipline.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:39 am
Platitudes,platitudes fm

Science and art are intimately interwoven like a country boy is to his landscape.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:18 am
But youll use it in the future spendi. That we can count on.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:21 am
chum said
Quote:
Is it fair to say a rational, scientifically biased viewpoint might still entertain spirituality in the artistic sense?

Why not, they arent mutually exclusive you know.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:32 am
Quote:
But youll use it in the future spendi. That we can count on.

If you mean fm that I will use the landscape then you are right.You can count on it.And both scientifically and artistically.

If you had taken to contemplating the ladies in the pub last night from a scientific point of view you might realise that the artistic point of view is actually intimately interwoven with it.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 02:27 pm
How logical or rational ones mind is has little to do with emotional appeal.
Our thinking mind is a tool, not a toolbox.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 02:32 pm
farmerman wrote:
Science is a discipline , pursued with passion
Art is a passion pursued with discipline.
If art is a passion pursued with discipline then how do you define the artistic effect that a Spin Art machine has? Simply poor taste Shocked http://www.hullaballoorental.com/games/spin-art.php

Art (say music) even if it requires discipline, does not need to rely solely (if at all?) on logic and reason or perhaps even discipline. So it's fountainhead and/or it's effects push art into the work of spirituality.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 02:54 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Music and art are very spiritual. It appeals directly to a person's emotions.
Actully, IMO, some of the best music and art was produced as a means of expressing religious thought, as the artist perceived their faith. The thing is, that the work of art or music is a man made invention, and only illustrates the artist's perception of belief.

Some of the times that I feel most "at one" with the world is when I am listening to a beautiful piece of music. Clouds, meadows, and mountains elicit the same sort of emotional experience for me.
It's intriguing about the music / religion angle.

It's also interesting that a pastoral landscape (or a war scene) can have a similar effect to a piece of music.

Sometimes when I am playing guitar, it seems like the notes are going through me and the muse is the propellant.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 02:59 pm
Doktor S wrote:

Art can also function on an rational / intellectual / esthetic level don't you think? Take for example a well egineered bridge.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 03:25 pm
Wouldn't you allow a not very well engineered bridge to be art as well.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 03:33 pm
yes a well engineered bridge can be beautiful and be art - look at the bridge at Millau or some of the very old bridges in England

http://www.stephanecompoint.com/11,376.html

it's worth looking at the whole of this site - this is a superb photographer and the sheep in the foreground of some made me think of Tupik! you'll see what I mean I hope Laughing

I think Phoenix and Farmer have put some very good points across and I totally agree with both.

Life is a balance we need the spiritual and the logical intertwined
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:24 pm
spendius wrote:
Wouldn't you allow a not very well engineered bridge to be art as well.
You need a spanking bad boy, as provided by the fantasy of your choice Twisted Evil
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:31 am
Chum-

You are much too subjective.

"Well engineered","You need","bad boy".

3 very subjective usages in a short space.That is quite bourgeios Chum and the spanking stuff is more or less the exclusive preserve of that class.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 01:18 pm
but hes easily understood spendi. See the difference?
You shouldnt be giving writing advice to anyone since your thought structures are more like Kerouac than Dylan.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 01:44 pm
fm-

I read two pages of On The Road and put it on my "must sell someday" shelf.I know Dylan inside out.Songs,poems,interviews,movies,performance style,books,sources and reported personal history.

I realise that I still might be as you say despite that but I very much doubt it.

I think it just another flip remark of the sort that is likely to get you thrown out of meetings on a regular basis.

What's this "other partner" thing.I'm intrigued.

Don't you think "well engineered" and "bad boy" and "you need" are subjective.I don't actually think they are-I know they are.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 04:44 pm
farmerman wrote:
.....hes easily understood.....
I accept your postion, as there are much worse fates, such as what my wife thinks of me sometimes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 04:48 pm
Chumly wrote:
Doktor S wrote:

Art can also function on an rational / intellectual / esthetic level don't you think? Take for example a well engineered bridge.

I sure do. The rational mind can look at something and think 'That is a marvel of modern engineering' while still being in awe of it's size scope and aesthetic appeal on an emotional level. I think the two are separate functions of the brain, though.
0 Replies