4
   

The myth of Jesus being a myth

 
 
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 07:26 am
The new testament is difficult to read because it is wordy and much of it seems to have been written by common people so that it reads like an Oprah show in places. Nonetheless there are any number of reasons for taking it a good deal more seriously than most do.

Unlike every other religious figure in history, Jesus spoke of the spirit realm "as one in authority" and this his audiences found astounding. Nobody would have invented a story about a religious leader speaking like that because it would not have occured to them to do so.

The basic simple message which rings out in all of Christ's teachings is that the future world is more important than this one.

The entire world now accepts the idea that we can't take it (material things) with us. The day before Jesus was born, NOBODY believed that; Jesus invented that idea. Every burial place you will ever find of people who died before Christ will contain all the **** the person tried to take with them, with exceptions due to grave-robbers.

On the Eurasian steppes you see little hills here and there and the Russian word "kurgan" describes them. Each is a burial place for some Scythian or Pecheneg or Guzz leader of some sort and all the **** he tried to take with him...

The first people who saw Jesus when he returned from the dead were women. NOBODY in those days would have invented a story about their leader coming back from the dead, and women, whose place in society was just above that of dogs, being the first to see him. THEY would have been the first to see him.

Oh, yeah, you say you don't believe in the idea of somebody dying and then coming back, right?

A buddy of mine who studies that sort of thing pointed this article out to me:

http://designeduniverse.com/christian_catastrophism/index.php?showtopic=30

Apparently Egyptians living a thousand years prior to Christ viewed dying about the way we view moving from Washington D.C. to Baltimore or from Alexandria Va. to Washington D.C.

The idea of coming back from the dead would not have seemed unusual to them; when Christ did it, which was the last time anybody did it, it simply hadn't been done for a few centuries.

What those first Christians were seeing was a spiritual (or what Julian Jaynes would call a "bicameral") thing of course. Jesus woulld have had no more use for a dead body full of nail holes than you or I would have; that sort of thing is for zombie movies or the demokkkrat party get-out-the-vote apparatus.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,510 • Replies: 37
No top replies

 
dyslexia
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 07:52 am
wow, thanks for sharing with us gunga.
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:04 am
wow, that link contains words by Medved, a lying sack of **** who was trying to foist a story about how human remains were found in the coal measures of NE Pennsylvania.

Yep, I believe anything that medved says, riiight. We have our own bear here and hes a bit irreverant but at least hes honest.

BTW gunga whats yer point?
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:06 am
Shouldn't you be out lookin for WMD, Gunga?
0 Replies
 
revel
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:21 am
You run an uphill battle trying to convince skeptics that the Jesus in the Bible was/is a true account of history with the Bible. I believe they call it circular reasoning.
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:21 am
It does present a conundrum when the posts of a 'believer' are more schizophrenic than those of the skeptics.
0 Replies
 
gungasnake
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:21 am
Intrepid wrote:
Shouldn't you be out lookin for WMD, Gunga?


Already got one...

http://highcountryarchery.com/images/bows/box_perfxcarb300.gif
0 Replies
 
Bi-Polar Bear
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:24 am
again Gunga destroys his credibility by trying to tell us he has a buddy.
0 Replies
 
Doktor S
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 01:57 pm
So let me get this straight.....
Jesus MUST have existed because nobody could have thought up the **** in the bible?
I suppose the lord of the rings must also be a true story, because nothing like it had been written before it was.
Hilarious
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 02:39 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Shouldn't you be out lookin for WMD, Gunga?


Already got one...

http://highcountryarchery.com/images/bows/box_perfxcarb300.gif


No wonder they couldn't find them. You had them all the time.
0 Replies
 
echi
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 03:10 pm
gunga--

You underestimate the power of human imagination. That's irony, right?
0 Replies
 
Sturgis
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 03:21 pm
Now if a myth is a myth doesn't that mean it's not a myth?
0 Replies
 
Bi-Polar Bear
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 03:21 pm
I once farted in church and about cleared the place...now there's your weapon of mass desturction....Father McGuilicutty was furious...
0 Replies
 
au1929
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 03:48 pm
Gunga
I would tell you to return to the politics catagory. However, you don't do any better there. Where can we expect to find your words of wisdom next? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies
 
real life
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:06 am
Sturgis wrote:
Now if a myth is a myth doesn't that mean it's not a myth?


I think this is exactly the point that he doesn't want people to myth.
0 Replies
 
Wolf ODonnell
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:06 am
real life wrote:
Sturgis wrote:
Now if a myth is a myth doesn't that mean it's not a myth?


I think this is exactly the point that he doesn't want people to myth.


What? If a myth is a myth, then how can it not be a myth?

If a tomato is a tomato doesn't that mean it's not a tomato?
0 Replies
 
echi
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:40 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
What? If a myth is a myth, then how can it not be a myth?

If a tomato is a tomato doesn't that mean it's not a tomato?



You crack me up, Wolf. That's how I see it, too.
0 Replies
 
real life
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:11 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
real life wrote:
Sturgis wrote:
Now if a myth is a myth doesn't that mean it's not a myth?


I think this is exactly the point that he doesn't want people to myth.


What? If a myth is a myth, then how can it not be a myth?

If a tomato is a tomato doesn't that mean it's not a tomato?


I thought I made an error yesterday, but I was incorrect.
0 Replies
 
echi
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 10:38 am
I still don't get it. I'm slow.
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:27 pm
It's a myth that the myth of Jesus is a myth.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
  1. Forums
  2. » The myth of Jesus being a myth
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/19/2021 at 04:30:45