Digging the 60s

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 09:23 pm
I must have seen Midnight Cowboy 20 times. I was just a young thing and all my new dates, ya we dated way back then, took me to dinner and a movie, and the movie was often Midnight Cowboy. But I really never tired of it and held up well. The characters always amazed me. It was the first time I saw Dustin Hoffman outside of The Graduate and I really could not believe it was the same actor.

The best part was I was in San Diego at the time and the San Diego papers, the Union and Tribune, would not advertise X rated movies so you had to search out where it was playing by surveying the Marquees of individual theathers. And then when it won the Academy Award well the publishers caved and dicided they could not ignore it any more. Just a little trivia.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 12:41 am
Oh yes,Manchurian Candidate:great stuff.Frank proved he could act and Mr.Harvey was just splendid and it´s true about the release being delayed due to Kennedy´s death.
L´Aventura (one or two V´s?) is an excellent slice of cinema I agree but I think that Antonioni was just warming up before Blow Up.
Musicals:I did mention one,Demy´s "Les Demoiselles".Ridiculous film but gorgeous in that flashy colourful everyone´s going to find true love way of his.
Joanne-I loved your post!A charming piece of trivia.
"Where´s that Joe Bob?"

Here´s another I forgot yesterday:Pierrot Le Fou.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 12:45 am
Raggedyaggie,I couldn´t think of EVERYTHING!!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 05:43 am
Hebba: No excuses. Just kidding Smile The truth is I had forgotten that all those musicals came out in the 60s. I cheated and sneaked a peak in a book.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 06:08 am
A BOOK!!!Tch tch.
Lots of "caper" films from that decade too.It was obviously a fad at the time.
I do like a good caper.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:51 am
RaggedyAggie -- the 60s saw the 'last hurrah' of the musical as we used to know it. There really haven't been any to speak of since then. Song-and-dance is passe. Not that there's anything wrong with the current crop, but "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" isn't a 'musical'. in spite of the music. Maybe we've all grown too jaded and cynical to enjoy the old-fashioned type of entertainment. I remember seeing "Hair" on stage at the Schubert in Boston (after a prolonged censorship battle over the total frontal nudity) and thinking that this was the new direction that musicals would take. But "Hair" turned out to be a one-shot deal. Granted, it was a tough act to follow. (Never saw the movie. Was it any good?)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:13 am
Richard Attenborough's pathetic "A Chorus Line" put the final nail in the movie musical critically and for the box office. It's had some spurts of a revival and "Moulin Rouge" proved that a directorial style like that of Baz Luhrman can make the difference. If "Chicago" is a winner, I hope we see some more projects. I hate to be redundant but "City of Angels" is a natural for a new musical film as it's about making movies! It has one of the biggest show stopping numbers, "You're Nothing Without Me" of any musical in the last thirty years. "The Producers" would be a natural.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:50 am
Moulin Rouge was the best I loved the films use of color as if the camera and lights were actually painting a picture for us. The story line reminded my of Caberat.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 05:52 pm
Merry Andrew: I, too, saw Hair on stage in Pa. Having purchased the soundtrack of the Broadway show, I was familiar with the music and really enjoyed the stage production. But, the anticipated frontal nudity scene went by so quickly, I didn't see a darn thing :wink: (even with binoculars) Just as I got focused, the lights dimmed and the cast put some sort of gauze curtain around themselves . (I think the Pa. censors were working overtime) As for the movie, I saw it later on TV and it was a real bomb in my opinion.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 03:32 am
So what happened here?People stopped Digging the 60´s?
La Dolce Vita was on the box yesterday but I found out about it nine hours too late.
OK it was made in ´59 but was released in 1960.I´ve seen it about 10 times and I still love it.I would have watched it again yesterday if I´d been more alert.I always feel very sad at the end where Mastrioanni can´t remember the beautiful girl on the beach while he himself looks like warmed up ****.
LW..any comments?
0 Replies

CountZero

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 03:10 pm
The Wild Bunch. Great western. Great film.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 05:30 am
Oh yes.I thought that the dialogue was somewnhat stilted and the humour was way off the mark but it did have fantastic visuals and a great sense of forboding doom.Peckinpah was a badass director.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 05:21 pm
How about "Putney Swope"? A film with such immortal lines as "Putney says the Bohrman Six girl's got to have soul!" As well as many others that I won't bring up in this forum...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 05:50 pm
Welcome, D'Artagnan! :-D
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:06 pm
Absolutely -- Welcome D'Artagnan! You've got a lot of catching up on the film threads!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:26 pm
D'Artagnan- Welcome to the party!
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 08:13 am
"Putney Swope".I´ve never even HEARD of this film D´Artagnan.
I know that Putney is in Southwest London but is this an American film?Some info would be appreciated!
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 08:24 am
Welcome D'Artagnan! Since you are going to have such reading to 'catch up' in the forums here, may I suggest the Art forum? There is an online journal / blog I found today that I am sure many will be interesting in seeing - film as well as visual arts. And, Putney Swope! What a blast from the past!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 10:02 am
whats it all about, Alfie?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 10:08 am
"ALFIE" fantastic film.Good of you to jog my memory.Great score by Sonny Rollins.
0 Replies