Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:10 am
I was taking out the trash and I noticed a box of devil cakes and another box of devil dogs, this made me think. What makes "devil" Food? Both are snacks (I guess) are the made with devils food cake? Then I started thinking about deviled eggs...what makes the eggs evil? Sorry in advance for the off topic-ness of this I just want to know if it's marketing by saying "it's so good its sinful" or if there is a reason behind using devil in the name.

Cambece
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,810 • Replies: 10
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:25 am
Interesting question!

I found this:

Quote:
Where the devil?
According to the food historians the practice of "devilling" food "officially" began sometime during the 18th century in England. Why? Because that was when the term "deviled," as it relates to food, first shows up in print. The earliest use of this culinary term was typically associated with kidneys & other meats, not stuffed eggs:

"Devil...A name for various highly-seasoned broiled or fried dishes, also for hot ingredients. 1786, Craig "Lounger NO. 86 'Make punch, brew negus, and season a devil.'"
---Oxford English Dictionary (the 1786 reference is the first use of this word in print. Words are often part of the oral language long before they appear in print).

"Devil--a culinary term which...first appeared as a noun in the 18th century, and then in the early 19th century as a verb meaning to cook something with fiery hot spices or condiments...The term was presumably adopted because of the connection between the devil and the excessive heat in Hell...Boswell, Dr Johnson's biographer, frequently refers to partaking of a dish of "devilled bones" for supper, which suggests an earlier use."
---The Oxford Companion to Food, Alan Davidson [Oxford University Press:Oxford] 1999 (pages 247-248).
[James Boswell lived from 1740-1795, Dr. Johnson's biography was published in 1791]

"Deviled...Any variety of dishes prepared with hot seasonings, such as cayenne or mustard. The word derives from the association with the demon who dwells in hell. In culinary context the word first appears in print in 1786; by 1820 Washington Irving has used the word in his Sketchbook to describe a highly seasoned dish similar to a curry. Deviled dishes were very popular throughout the nineteenth and into the twentieth centuries, especially for seafood preparations and some appetizers." ---The Encyclopedia of American Food & Drink, John Mariani [Lebhar-Friedman:New York] 1999 (pages 110-111)

"Around 1868, Underwood's sons began experimenting with a new product created from ground ham blended with special seasonings. The process they dubbed "deviling," for cooking and preparing the ham, was new. But best of all, the taste was unique. Soon thereafter, the "Underwood devil" was born."
History of the Underwood Company

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodeggs.html
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:30 am
Laughing

This thread made me laugh. Something I would think of.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:57 pm
As for the Devil Dogs....

Chocolate cake has the reputation of being sinfully rich and high in calories. These characteristics make it a folk "opposite" for an angel food cake--a cake so light and fluffy one could serve it to a heavenly being without grounding them.

Deviled eggs are spiced up with mustard.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:30 pm
The devil is sometimes used as part of beer names. I believe some Belgian ales use the terminology. The link between the devil and alcohol makes perfect sense, of course...

http://www.bestbeer.dk/images/Duvel.jpg
0 Replies

DRpieman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:43 pm
u cant eat that Duuel u but
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:46 pm
The origin of deviled eggs can't be attributed to one specific person, company, date or town. It is a culinary amalgam of history and taste. The concept of deviled eggs begins with Ancient Rome. Spicy stuffed eggs were known in 13th century Andalusia. The name is an 18th century invention.

Not long after the Ancient Greeks and Romans domesticated fowl, egg dishes of all kinds figured prominently in cookery texts. Eggs were eaten on their own (omelets, scrambled) and employed as congealing agents (custard, flan, souffles). The ancestor of deviled eggs? Ancient Roman recipes for boiled (to various degrees) eggs served with spices poured on top:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:51 pm
We used to have fun with Lil Debbie's devil food cake thingies. Little Debbie became satanic for a while.... those were good times!
0 Replies

DRpieman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:52 pm
Drunk Laughing
0 Replies

SpauldingSmails

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 03:58 pm
I always thought that refried beans were pretty evil, but maybe that is just me. Smile
0 Replies

NuT Ed

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 01:44 am
no vegatebles is evil food
0 Replies