How were you like at 19?

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:02 am
Dag and jespah wanted me to host this thread

No intro!

Tell us right away how were you at 19?

I, for eg, am a total spoilt brat taking Life Skill lessons from Chai and some teaching in singing by Miss Letty who pampers me all the very more. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,814 • Replies: 150
No top replies

material girl

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:05 am
I cant remember exactly.
In comparison to what I am now im different in a way.
I would have done anything to make anyone like me.
I would have felt bad if Id thought Id done something wrong even if it wasnt my fault.
I didnt think my opinion was valid.
Id let people walk all over me.

I was too nice and lots of people got away with alot of stuff.

Im different now.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:09 am
It was sort of a bi-polar year for me. One half of it I was in the States the first half with my family, doing random quickie jobs -easy cash (babysitting, housecleaning...) and spending a lot of time in the bars and clubs of Chapel Hill. We (me and my sister) got to know all the musicians and it was the best time of my life. No worries, just fun and lots of music.
The second half, I started university and joined a human rights group. I became a member of the Board of Directors, and plunged into projects on Roma (gypsies) minority, campaigning, organizing Week Against Racism, monitoring human rights in legislation - sitting at the committees meetings in the parliament.... pretty serious high involvement. From no worries and fun directly to lemme solve it all for ya!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:12 am
I was an absolute idiot at 19. I had dropped out of college, and my life was going nowhere. I married my first husband, I believe, just to get out of my parent's house.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
I was a college student in love with a 19-year old woman. I decided I didn't want to be away from her so I stayed in Boston over the summer and worked as a mover.

She dumped me for an older guy. I was devastated, left for home, and spent the rest of the summer trying to erase her from my memory with alcohol and wild women. Wound up getting in a car accident, the injuries from which still bother me to this day.

I loved being 19. I hated being 19.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
Lesse -- when I turned 19 I was with a guy (also 19) who was a very talented blues musician and serenaded me with "She's Nineteen Years Old" by Muddy Waters. That's always the first thing I think of. That year was a lot of music for me, too, going to watch him play, including opening for some amazing people/ bands.

It was kind of a lost year because we were completely wrapped up in each other -- it was school (including taking classes together -- we were both art majors), each other, and bars (where he'd play) and that's it. We competed, grade-wise, and both did pretty well. (Got two out of the three high scores on some huge term paper, I remember.) Spent the summer apart -- I went back home -- and then moved in together in the fall. I felt very mature.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:20 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I was an absolute idiot at 19. I had dropped out of college, and my life was going nowhere. I married my first husband, I believe, just to get out of my parent's house.

Man, I wonder what if i have to marry at this stage!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:24 am
19, interesting year, what I remember of it. came home from southeast indo-china, bought a BSA 441 Victor motorcycle and lived in a village in mexico. towards then end of that year I moved back to colorado and entered the uni where I became an activist with the bracero workers progam (mexican farm laborers).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:26 am
spidergal wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Man, I wonder what if i have to marry at this stage!

In my generation (in the olden days) girls got married a lot younger than they do now. Many of them divorced a few years later. In fact, the median age for women who married was 20.2. (Don't ask me how I know this! :wink: )
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:27 am
19th year will also be remembered as the year when I started my first novel.........
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:27 am
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005061.html

This chart will give you an idea of the differences over the years.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:30 am
I was a coke addict.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:30 am
Looks as if girls in 2006 are going to marry at 27.

Getting pregnant after 30 increases chances of Breast Cancer in women.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:32 am
I think that last might be different if the woman has been on birth control pills from well before 30... (can I see the link?)

(I got pregnant at 29 and have a history of breast cancer in my family...)
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:35 am
My dad's an oncologist.......well, I have seen some patients suffering..er....not seen, but kinda heard their shrieks when they are injected. My study room lies adjacent to dad's chamber........seriously thinking of changing my location.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:39 am
That was my first year at a big state university. I transferred from a small religion-affiliated college to a campus with 26,000 people, and was thrust into an environment of people (men, even! - I had gone to a girls' high school and a women's college) who were my entry into the big wide world. There was almost nothing I couldn't study at that university, nothing I couldn't learn, I thought. There was a wonderful mix of people from all over the world and all kinds of backgrounds, though most were from California; the common thing among us had been to get to go there in the first place, re one's grades, many people by transferring from other schools. At that time it was very nearly free, no tuition fees. That was my year of waking up.

It turned out, of course, that there were many things I couldn't learn at school. Nevertheless, it was a rich experience to get to go there, rich in learning how to learn.

I worked nearly full time during those college years, and was nearly always in a state of beyond tiredness. I didn't date much, was a slow learner in the ways of love. So it was a beginning, starter type of year in many ways.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:44 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I was a coke addict.

Holy crap!
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:46 am
I took vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:06 am
George married young too.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:29 am
I was going off to college. I had a serious boyfriend going to U of M while I was hours away at CMU.

I was a wreck. I was depressed. Anemic. Seriously f-ed up from a past I wouldn't let go of. I started therapy. Broke up with my cheating boyfriend. Almost left school. Moved twice.

I hated 19.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How were you like at 19?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 11:42:33