Mourning the End of the West Wing

kermit

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 01:59 pm
I know this is yesterday's news, but let the mourning begin... Been a fan ever since it started, even after Sorkin left... So sad, doubly sad since John Spencer's death...

--------------------------------------------------

NBC Cancels 'West Wing' After 7 Seasons

By DAVID BAUDER
The Associated Press
Monday, January 23, 2006; 3:05 PM

PASADENA, Calif. -- NBC's political drama "The West Wing," which briefly made bureaucrats hip and won four Emmy awards for best drama, will end this spring with the inauguration of a new fictional president.

NBC announced the series' conclusion after seven seasons on Sunday. In the end, it fell victim to television's democratic process: sinking ratings, particularly after this season's move to Sunday nights.

The series will end May 14, preceded by an hour's retrospective.

Actors and producers toasted the show's end Sunday night at a cocktail party with television critics, who championed the series from the beginning.

"We knew we had a special show and we remained as a family," said Martin Sheen, who portrayed President Josiah Bartlet. "We all knew that we weren't going to get this kind of a chance again."

Series producers have only in the past few days decided who would win the presidential campaign that has been this season's main story; it will be revealed in April. The contest pits a Democrat played by Jimmy Smits and a Republican portrayed by Alan Alda, and the show's writers have fought over who should win.

"It's been quite a brawl," said John Wells, executive producer.

The decision to cancel it was made before actor John Spencer, who played former presidential chief of staff Leo McGarry, died of a heart attack Dec. 16, said Kevin Reilly, NBC entertainment president.

Although "The West Wing" briefly considered it calling it quits after Spencer's death, or remaking episodes featuring him that were filmed but not yet aired, Wells said they ultimately decided to use the late actor's work.

It's been tricky working the death into the story line; McGarry was a candidate for vice president, and producers found there was no constitutional provision for what happens when a candidate dies so close to the election.

"We're now dealing with the death of a character we loved after having dealt with the death of a person we loved," Wells said.

Lawrence O'Donnell, a former Washington insider who is one of the show's executive producers, said he knew the show was making a cultural impact when he found politicians who rarely watch TV were fans. He found it a better place to debate issues than real political shows on TV, he said.

Actor Bradley Whitford said he once heard from former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan, who was upset that nobody seemed to care when his television counterpart died.

"I actually would get lobbied by lobbyists," he said. "I thought they wanted my autograph. But they were lobbying to get their issues mentioned on the show."

Producers are negotiating the return of Rob Lowe, the early series star who left because he was upset by his diminished role, for the finale. Series creator Aaron Sorkin _ responsible for the rapid-fire style of dialogue _ has no plans to return.

Sheen said the show's most positive impact on the country was, during a cynical time, to make people realize the important job that public servants perform.

"The government continues because of people who care for the country," he said.

Meanwhile, NBC announced a reshuffling of its midseason schedule, effective after the Winter Olympics. "Las Vegas" will move from Monday to Friday; "The Apprentice" will be shifted again to Monday; "Law & Order" will air an hour earlier on Wednesdays; and the game show "Deal or No Deal" will be a regular Monday show.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,335 • Replies: 16
No top replies

William Grant

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:54 am
West Wing
I haven't watched much televison lately, so when I read about it's cancelation posted my kermit, I was surprised. Being a fairly political person myself, I liked watching "The West Wing." There were many times that I didn't get to watch it, though.

I was reading the post made by kermit, includeing the article that I am guessing he posted; I didn't realize it had been on televison for 7 years. That means it started in 1999, correct? It doesn't seem like it to me.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:15 pm
William Grant: you are correct! it's been on for a while. season 6 comes out on DVD on May 8 or 9, i believe. i think west wing is much better than commander in chief but i may have to rely on the latter for reasons of withdrawl, etc...
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:25 am
I fourth this emotion! I lost interest in the middle and then got back into it this season. Do you think Smits or Alda could have carried the show? They were talking that this was the last season at the beginning, then ratings went up and the rumors stopped, now it's true Sad
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:32 am
BBB
I'm a faithful fan of the West Wing and will miss it. It lost some of it's cutting edge writing when Sorkin left, but it was still among the best TV had to offer.

BBB
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:57 pm
i know, sad sad... i really thought the beauty of this season was that the race could've gone one way or another (now i feel less invested b/c whoever wins we don't get to see how their administration turns out!). alda had his moderate republican edge and smits the young, energetic voice from the left, and quite frankly i think i would've liked to have seen alda go into the office just to see what happens. though that means the current staff/characters can't stay... sorry i am rambling but gotta get this off my chest... Smile
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:54 pm
Oh,it's so sad. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
I loved that show.
Especially Bradley Whitford, John Spencer, Martin Sheen & Allison Janney.
I'll have to buy the whole 7 seasons on dvd.
It was a great show. Very Happy
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:30 am
yeah!! i already have all of the individual seasons separately but would love to have like a whole box set when it comes out. my day is basically all shot when the reruns are on Bravo...
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:17 am
I love the reruns on Bravo! I've just started watching them recently when I flip through - the one wehre Glen Close becomes Supreme Court justice I was so misty eyed at - probably b/c of what is ACTUALLY going on with the Supreme Court too - lol
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 03:06 pm
I never got into it first time round, but now one of our TV stations has begun re running it from episode one...which I watched last night.

I am hooked!

And, this station has no ads.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:10 pm
I don't get to watch much TV in the evenings because of my son's activities. I started watching the reruns on Bravo last year during the daytime and quickly became a devoted fan. It's my favorite program, and I admit to mourning when John Spencer died.

Rarely, if ever, has a television program grown on me like this one. And because I've only caught it on reruns, I haven't even seen it in chronological order. But the writing and acting have been so superb, that hasn't even mattered.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:53 am
Alums back for 'Wing' sendoff
March 01, 2006
Alums back for 'Wing' sendoff
By Nellie Andreeva

Rob Lowe and eight other "West Wing" alums are set to return for the White House drama's final episodes.

Lowe, who left "The West Wing" in 2003, will reprise his role as Sam Seaborn in the final two episodes of Aaron Sorkin's Emmy-winning series.

Also reprising their roles with appearances in one or more of the drama's final five episodes are Mary-Louise Parker, Anna Deavere Smith, Emily Procter, Marlee Matlin, Gary Cole, Tim Matheson, Timothy Busfield and Annabeth Gish.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 12:12 pm
oh wow thanx for posting that BumbleBeeBoogie!! it'll be great to see rob lowe - was so sad when he left the show (and went on to do, uh, lion's den, which disappeared after a season or two).
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 08:23 pm
Deb

Sadly not running from episode 1 - but about half way through. Starts up just after the shooting of CJ's minder - the Simon mentioned in last Thursday's episode.

The commercial station that ran it here kept moving the time, putting it on later and later, cancelling it for no reason, etc., so it never developed much of a rating - the last series shown here I mostly missed because I could never find out when it was on.

Initially I found that clipped dialogue hard to take - do all Murricans talk like that? I coped! Now that it's moved to ABC - public television, I'll be able to catch up on the missed issues - and there are about 2 series to be seen here
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:00 am
Getting close now!!! Thank god they finally put Donna and Josh together. My question is, how will the election end? I hope they don't do a Bush/Gore type of "too close to call" episodes to drag it out...
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 07:33 pm
I can't believe this show is over. . .
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 09:14 pm
the best writtten, and perfomed show ever on television.

Like Eva above, I first began watching WW when it started in August of 2003 on Bravo, and I was hooked. Sorkin is the closest thing we have to Shakespeare on TV.... i was lucky to watch the shows in order for almost the first 60 shows over the course of two months.

"Two Cathedrals" was the best hour of television I ever saw.

watching the ending of "In Excelsis Deo," where Toby arranges for a Korean war vet to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery hurt to the bone, having a relative buried there. It was so well done.

But the one that made me weep was "Take this Sabbath Day" where it ends with Karl Malden as a Roman Catholic priest (shades of him in "On the Water Front" there!) hearing Jed Bartlett's confession after he refuses to commute the sentence of a man about to be executed....."you are mad at God for not giving you a sign? He sent you a minister, a quaker, and a rabbi not to mention his son Jesus Christ? what more did you want".....I wept.

The look of painful remorse on Bartlett's face when Malden asks "Jed, do you want me to hear your confession?" and Barlett nods a "yes" was to me the best scene of the series.

it was ... human.
0 Replies