Law & Order series one amateurish?

kev

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 01:29 am
L & O has always been my fav cop show and the first series (the one starring George Dzunda)is just being re-run here, and I can't believe how amateurish it looks.

Has anyone else felt this way after not seeing it for years? Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 741 • Replies: 7
No top replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 02:00 am
Yes, I've noticed that with several series. I think a lot of it has to do with budget, once a show becomes establised it gets a bit more money thrown at it, and that tends to effect everything....production values, writing, directing, editing.

And then of course there is the acting, sometimes it takes a full season for the actors to settle into their parts, usually two or three before they "become" the character.

It's all part of the magic of television....the pilot is often shot several months to a year in advance of the first airing. Then they make roughly a dozen episodes all at once...take a break then come back and shoot the other dozen. I'm sure it's hard to make it all fall together, making the series in pieces like that...especially for the first year.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 06:55 am
I think that all lasting TV shows need to "develop". The actors need to become comfortable in their characters, and to play as a "team". That takes time.

I happen to be a L&O afficionado. I have seen almost all of the shows (L&O, SUV & C.I.) I used to love Chris Noth (Mike Logan) on the original L&O. He worked so well with Jerry Ohrbach. The two of them just "clicked".

Now that he is on Criminal Intent, I think that he is not doing his part justice. I find his character boring. I really wonder whether time (if they keep him on) will help him to hone his character.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 01:55 pm
Chris Noth is in Criminal Intent now? Do you mean in place of D'nofrio?
0 Replies

Sage

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:29 pm
kev wrote:
Chris Noth is in Criminal Intent now? Do you mean in place of D'nofrio?

Hope it's ok if I jump in Phoenix. Smile I'm an L&O fan all the way around, too.

Chris Noth is on Criminal Intent, but they've only added him as an additional detective. The lovely Vincent and Kathryn are still there. Cool

Noth and a female actor whose name is slipping my mind have split the episodes at 11 each.

I was very sad to discover this upon season premiere, but of course I'm still watching every episode.
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:27 am
I love L&O, SVU especially b/c the plot is more developed with out the 30min court room segment. I'm not that into the old ones with Sorvino & Co. My favs are still the Orbach/Noth episodes (but I love Noth from Sex and the City, so I'm biased!!)

The female ADAs are the deal breakers for me. I liked Angie Harmon and the one before her, HATEd Elizabeth Rohm, I thought she was an awful actress!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:33 am
I had read somewhere that D'Onofrio was very stressed out, and that was why they brought in Noth to share the air time.

I loved Jill Hennessy on L&O. The funny thing, is that I never watch her since she got her own show. I could not stand Benjamin Bratt. He had a mannerism where his voice went up at the end of a sentence, which drove me nuts!
0 Replies

Kellygray

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:38 pm
The female ADAs are the deal breakers for me. I liked Angie Harmon and the one before her, HATEd Elizabeth Rohm, I thought she was an awful actress![/quote]

You are so right about Elizabeth Rohm...ugh,,
Reminds me Charlene Tilton on Dallas..
I just cringe
when I watch them.
I guess it is true, Its not what you know, its who you..fill in the blank , well, you know
0 Replies