What God Truly Is?

aidan

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:31 am
http://k.domaindlx.com/joepatrick111/sun.jpg

This past Christmas Eve, I went to a celebration of mass at midnight with a friend of mine, who is a formidable intellectual and doesn't usually attend church (neither do I- as a rule). As we were walking out, both stating that we felt uplifted and inspired by the service, I asked her why she thought that was. And I asked her (in a purely curious, non-challenging way) what she actually believed- because I didn't know - as she didn't know what I believe- (neither of us wear it on our sleeve).

She said, "I believe that God is Love." She continued, "I believe that when you bear witness to kindness and compassion from one human to another, as exemplified by the way the world gathered round to support the victims of the tsunami, that force enacted through humans is God.

I really liked her explanation-because it made sense to me and probably also because it echoed what I'd learned all those years ago in Sunday School - so elegant in its simplicity - "God is Good(ness)"-"God is Love".

And it led me to think about what I believe to be true about God and religion in general. I've collected some interesting quotes that I'd like to share - because I think they all are true...whatever else I may believe.

The dangers of focusing on religion instead of God or Love:

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." (Anne Lamott)

"My Palestinian intellectual friend tells me that he might be willing to admit that God said the Jews could have Israel in Hebrew. But, he said, Allah did not say it in Arabic to the Arabs." (Arthur Hertzberg)

"Each drew his sword/on the side of the Lord." (Phyllis McGinley)

"Every man thinks God is on his side. The rich and powerful know he is." (Jean Anouilh)

"Christianity was meant to be good news, not good advice." (Dean Inge)

"They were so strong in their beliefs that there came a time when it hardly mattered exactly what those beliefs were; they all fused into a single stubbornness." (Louise Erdich)

For me- belief in God is like:

"...driving a car at night. You can never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way." (E.L. Doctorow)

"When you want God as much as you want that next breath, you will see God." (Bo Lozoff)

"I felt the wind on me, I felt the birds in me, all separation was completely gone." (Bernard Tetsugen Glassman)

"God is no white knight who charges into the world to pluck us like distressed damsels from the jaws of dragons, or disease. God chooses to become present to and though us. It is up to us to rescue one another."
(Nancy Mairs)

"True myths may serve for thousands of years as an inexhaustible source of intellectual speculation, religious joy, ethical inquiry, and artistic renewal. The real mystery is not destroyed by reason. The fake one is. You look at it and it vanishes...When the true myth rises into consciousness, there is always a message: "You must change your life." (Ursula K. Le Guin)

"The place to imporve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands, and then work outward from there. (Robert M. Pirsig)

"Wandering reestablishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe." (Anatole France)

"It was on that road and at that hour that I first became aware of my own self, experienced an inexpressaible state of grace, and felt at one with the first breath of air that stirred, the first bird, and the sun so newly born that it still looked not quite round." (Colette)

"Suppose that some mathematical creature from the moon were to reckon up the human body- he would at once see the essential thing about it was that it was duplicate. A man is two men, he on the right exactly resembling him on the left. Having noted that there was an arm on the right and one on the left, a leg on the right and one on the left, he might go further still and find on each side the same number of fingers, the same number of toes, twin eyes, twin ears, twin nostrils, and even twin lobes of the brain. At last he would take it as a law, and then where he found a heart on the left side, would deduce that there was another on the right. And just then, where he most felt he was right, he would be wrong." (G. K. Chesterton)

"One has to be willing to surrender to a condition of awe, to the astonishment of the soul, to bewilderment, bafflement, humility. Or, as Emerson neatly put it, "Let the bird sing without deciphering the song."
(Denise Shekerjian)

"The world is still full of divinity and strangeness. The scientist stops, where all men do, at the doors of birth and death. He knows no more than you and I why a seed remembers the oak of 20 million years ago, why dust acquires the form of a woman, why we behold the earth in space and time. He hasn't yet solved the secret of a single atom upon the earth. We may pluck the nymph from the river, but we won't pluck the river from ourselves: this coiled divinity is still all murmurous and strange. There are sacred places everywhere." (Ross Lockridge)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,486 • Replies: 96
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:53 am
If you say, "I believe God is X," whatever X may be, how do you know if you've reached a correct or incorrect conclusion? People don't have a real great track record for figuring out what things are just by thinking about them without any checking or investigation.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:27 am
Some people need a god, that is fine by me and I understand the process of needs in most individuals.

Perhaps the earth is a safer place with the belief?
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:15 am
The bible says God is love. 1John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:17 am
God is the man in the mirror, for no one has such a profound impact on my destiny as he.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:20 am
God is whatever and/or whoever we as individuals decide God to be. I see God as an all around spirit which embraces all of us and sees what all of us are doing at all times working in conjunction with many other spirits, usually of those who have been in earth bodies in the past. God cannot be summed up in a word or a picture or a sound or a physical feeling...it is all these things combined and yet oddly enough none of them at all since nothing earthly can ever fully describe something so powerful and unearthly.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:21 am
If you want to know what something truly is, you investigate it. You don't just make a bunch of stuff up. Of course, that takes work, which is very unappealing to undisciplined people who require instant answers.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:27 am
Sturgis wrote:
God is whatever and/or whoever we as individuals decide God to be. I see God as an all around spirit which embraces all of us and sees what all of us are doing at all times working in conjunction with many other spirits, usually of those who have been in earth bodies in the past. God cannot be summed up in a word or a picture or a sound or a physical feeling...it is all these things combined and yet oddly enough none of them at all since nothing earthly can ever fully describe something so powerful and unearthly.

I think if I could understand how you reached this conclusion (and hence all those lesser conclusions) it would really help me understand the faith process.
Enlighten me?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:46 am
Hard to put it into words...that's the thing about God and faith...words are not ever enough to do the job. I have arrived at this place in thinking over a lifetime, it is not something I was fully born with (or maybe I was but I forgot it almost immediately). The processs of reaching the place where I currently am in my spiritual beliefs and growth has been slow and at times difficult. Bottom line is there is a great deal of mystery in it all. Mystery in the sense of not knowing just how it got started and then the peace of mind in realizing it doesn't really matter how it began. The fact of the matter is that it is now and I have been given the honor of being a living breathing part of it. That to me could only happen through a Greater Being, a Being I call God.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:48 am
Sturgis wrote:
Hard to put it into words...that's the thing about God and faith...words are not ever enough to do the job. I have arrived at this place in thinking over a lifetime, it is not something I was fully born with (or maybe I was but I forgot it almost immediately). The processs of reaching the place where I currently am in my spiritual beliefs and growth has been slow and at times difficult. Bottom line is there is a great deal of mystery in it all. Mystery in the sense of not knowing just how it got started and then the peace of mind in realizing it doesn't really matter how it began. The fact of the matter is that it is now and I have been given the honor of being a living breathing part of it. That to me could only happen through a Greater Being, a Being I call God.

I suggest that you don't have the faintest idea whether a God exists, or if he does exist, what his nature is. Prove me wrong. Give even a plausibility argument that suggests I might be wrong.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:06 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I suggest that you don't have the faintest idea whether a God exists, or if he does exist, what his nature is. Prove me wrong. Give even a plausibility argument that suggests I might be wrong.

I know that God exists and that is all that matters. I cannot prove to someone who doesn't really, truly and honestly want such proof. There have been experiences in my life which have more than done enough to prove to me the existence of God. Look at your own life, there are undoubtedly enough proof situations there, however you are choosing not to see or accept them for what they are.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:48 am
I have to agree with sturgis. I, too, know that God exists. He has made Himself known in my life. However, to try to explain these experiences to anyone else is very difficult.

How do you explain the color red? God is personal for everyone.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:50 am
Momma Angel wrote:
I have to agree with sturgis. I, too, know that God exists. He has made Himself known in my life. However, to try to explain these experiences to anyone else is very difficult.

How do you explain the color red? God is personal for everyone.

Explaining the color red is easy. Explaining something that noone has ever laid eyes on is nigh-impossible.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:58 am
Questioner,

Can you explain the color red to me? Oh, and BTW, I'm color blind.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:05 pm
Questioner wrote:

Explaining the color red is easy. Explaining something that noone has ever laid eyes on is nigh-impossible.

Actually I have no real way to explain the color red...if you do, then please share it.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:08 pm
Ok, well color blindness does put a damper on it a bit, though you can still attribute the color to other sensations. Red would be akin to the heat you feel from a fire, or the anger you feel at betrayal.

To someone not color blind you merely point to an apple and say this is red.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:12 pm
Questioner,

Nope. http://www.smileys.ws/smls/yahoo/00000028.gif I asked you to "explain" the color red. I did not ask you to show me an example of the color red.

How can I associate that to a color if I've never seen color? It's easy for you because you see it. I don't. So maybe I associate heat with blue?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:14 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Questioner,

Nope. http://www.smileys.ws/smls/yahoo/00000028.gif I asked you to "explain" the color red. I did not ask you to show me an example of the color red.

How can I associate that to a color if I've never seen color? It's easy for you because you see it. I don't. So maybe I associate heat with blue?

Fair enough. Confused
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:18 pm
Questioner,

So, there are some things that one knows but cannot explain; such as, faith or an experience with God? :wink:
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:19 pm
Questioner wrote:
To someone not color blind you merely point to an apple and say this is red.

What if the apple is green? What I am driving at here, is that color is subjective. There is no set way to describe a color and to just point and say something is something is not necessarily proof. I could point at the apple which you see as red and I might say it is blue while another might claim it to be brown. Just saying it is, will not make it so and you still have not explained to me the color red. According to your logic, God exists for everyone and in exactly the way I say, because I say so...now that doesn't really work well for you now does it Questioner? So get back to the drawing board and find a way to explain red, and I don't want some cheap dictionary definition either.
0 Replies