Let's discuss the Big bang!

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:14 pm
First off, I saw a movie a few nights ago with some of my friends on the big bang theory, and I have to admit...it was pretty fascinating. I learned some things I never knew and I'm willing to learn more. If anyone has anything to share about this subject, I'd greatly appreciate it. I PROMISE not to say anything bad.

OK...I decided to stop being so judgemental to those who I have been. I'm sorry. I'm no better than anyone else. We're all just people. If any of you met me in real life, you would see I'm very different than on here. I'm just a regular person with a normal life doing everyday things...no biggie.

So....does anyone have any knowledge they'd like to share? I am interested in what YOU believe. In what YOU think and like I said earlier, I will not judge, condemn, and all that bad stuff. I would like this to remain a civil conversation.

Thank you all for any input!!!
I cannot wait to hear your response.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,812 • Replies: 60
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:15 pm
The hilarity at this site never ends . . . as is the case with the "Evolution? How?" thread, the place to find tortured debate on scientific topis is . . . Spirituality & Religion ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:30 pm
I think the S&R is just as good a place as any, as many believe that perhaps God used the Big Bang to create things.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:32 pm
Many people once did, and many may still, believe the earth to be flat . . .
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:36 pm
Well, I am not one of them that thinks the earth is flat. :wink:
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:41 pm
Setanta wrote:
Many people once did, and many may still, believe the earth to be flat . . .

the World is becoming flat, get the book The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century by Thomas L. Friedman
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:44 pm
Husker, i am not surprised . . .

BANG

. . . there, an on-topic comment . . .
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:53 pm
Nice save Big Guy! :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 08:37 pm
I'm the other one...

I'm reading "The Fabric of the Cosmos" right now by Brian Green.

It's really slow going for me, but very enjoyable.

It's written for the layperson, but is still plenty challanging. I'll read a chapter or 2, then have to take a break with something else, but I keep coming back.

I would really recommend that book. For me personally, I find it validates my belief in a creator.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:36 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I'm the other one...

It's written for the layperson, but is still plenty challanging. I'll read a chapter or 2, then have to take a break with something else, but I keep coming back.

I would really recommend that book. For me personally, I find it validates my belief in a creator.

Thank you Chai Tea. I'll have to check it out!
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:39 pm
Setanta wrote:
Husker, i am not surprised . . .

BANG

. . . there, an on-topic comment . . .

Thanks for the contribution, lol.

Got anything else?

I'll give ya time...
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:42 pm
The Big Bang Theory? Sounds kinda goofy to me. Why not just say "God did it"? It's about the same thing, in' it?
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:56 pm
Well....the kind I'm referring to can be either...whether they believe God created it or not.

I'm wanting to know how people here think we came to be.

The big bang movie I watched was not caused by God, then everyone evolved to where we are today.

Good to see you again echi.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:12 pm
echi wrote:
The Big Bang Theory? Sounds kinda goofy to me. Why not just say "God did it"? It's about the same thing, in' it?

Sure, why are those dumb scientists wasting their time with college and all that dumb science stuff? I presume you say this after intense study of scientific cosmology.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:14 pm
ITOO--

Good to see you, too.
I think science does a good job explaining how things got to be the way they are. I just don't think there was any beginning point. But the past is all hypothetical, anyway.
And asking how things got to be this way is sort of assuming that we know how things are now, which I think would be yet another goofy assertion.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:15 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I'm the other one...

I love that man! I saw him speak on string theory.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:16 pm
echi wrote:
ITOO--

Good to see you, too.
I think science does a good job explaining how things got to be the way they are. I just don't think there was any beginning point. But the past is all hypothetical, anyway.
And asking how things got to be this way is sort of assuming that we know how things are now, which I think would be yet another goofy assertion.

Have you ever actually studied the area of Physics that you're talking about? General introductory high school Physics perhaps? Generally, people who talk about what they don't know about are called ignorant.
0 Replies

his2serve

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:34 pm
Re: Let's discuss the Big bang!
I'm the other one wrote:
First off, I saw a movie a few nights ago with some of my friends on the big bang theory, and I have to admit...it was pretty fascinating. I learned some things I never knew and I'm willing to learn more. If anyone has anything to share about this subject, I'd greatly appreciate it. I PROMISE not to say anything bad.

OK...I decided to stop being so judgemental to those who I have been. I'm sorry. I'm no better than anyone else. We're all just people. If any of you met me in real life, you would see I'm very different than on here. I'm just a regular person with a normal life doing everyday things...no biggie.

So....does anyone have any knowledge they'd like to share? I am interested in what YOU believe. In what YOU think and like I said earlier, I will not judge, condemn, and all that bad stuff. I would like this to remain a civil conversation.

Thank you all for any input!!!
I cannot wait to hear your response.

hey,
how are you?
you may be interested to know that scientist have been able to determine our proximity in the universe using the color of light of objects moving away from us, blue being farther and faster and red being closer and slower. this is important because if you believe in the big bang theory and that every thing moves from the center of the BANG!, scientist have found using that light color method that we are pretty much the center of the universe, and that all other solar systems and galaxies are moving away from US at the same speed, and that we are in fact at the center of the Universe. The odds off this are 1,000,000,000 to 1. Read (I can't remeber the authors name) "Alien invasion".
It is fascinating and eye opening!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:46 pm
actually his2serve....

Everything is the center of the universe...maybe Brandon can explain in better, but there is no "one point" that is the center of the universe.

No matter where you are, where you are this instant, 5,000 light years away, or 500,000 light years away, everything will be moving away from you from your perspective.

Our galaxy is of no particular consequence, just a little backwater mote of dust.

Hey littlek, thanks for reminding me. He's coming to Austin soon, I'll have to make a note to myself to get tickets.

I saw on PBS a show about string theory. Actually, that made sense to me (The little bit they explained).

The idea that there are these universes right up next to you, these thin "walls" if you will.

How would one penetrate one of those "walls" to the next one? Death maybe? The human essence is realized from the body and able to travel through?

Makes me think.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:47 pm
The PBS show was with Brian Green hosting, I believe. He has a good way of explaining it all to lay people like me.
0 Replies