Are speed limits the answer ?

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 12:11 pm
walter wrote : "Well, truckers here are not paid by mile/kilometers".

that would make a difference to a trucker, wouldn't it ?
as i said, generally speaking, long distance truckers are quite safety concious; they don't have a death wish. the problem arises when they are working against a deadline. going by police/ministry of transportation reports, there are still too many unsafe trucks on the road. about once a month trucks are pulled over for inspection on the major highways and too many trucks are found to be unsafe. a particular problem seem to be dump-trucks and trucks from so-called "cowboy" trucking companies. last year there was a report about a toronto trucking company with multiple violations. they simply closed their business and re-opened under a new name. the police/ministry of transportation/ courts have ben chasing after them for years, but hadn't been able to close them down.
the old problem : a few bad apples spoil it for everyone. hbg
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 12:34 pm
My lady friend the trucker is against '105km'.
She says that in the States it is necessary to go 70 miles, which is 112km.
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:26 am
People, there is a limit to how slow we must be willing to make vehicles just for the sake of everywhere being super-safe. The only speed-limit that guarantees zero deaths is zero km/h.
It is not reasonable that speed limits should be dropped just because some people are incompetant. And yes, this is what i believe causes the most deaths on the road. Its very easy to say speed is the cause of accidents, but cars have to 'have speed' in order to be any use to anyone.

How many people have any of you met who knows to and how to avoid locking wheels in an emergency or slippery conditions? How many know that your maximum turning force can be increased by reducing braking force? I think speed is of minor importance compared to driver competance, oh and I stick by the germans and their 'deregulated roads' and 180kmh speed limits.
0 Replies