Stage Acting: It's Nice Work if You Can Afford It.

mac11

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:06 pm
This isn't a subject which is discussed very often. The majority of people who work in the arts could be making more money if they worked at any other job. (That's basically why I changed careers.)

I love the last line of this article: "...chances are we'll all continue taking journeyman actors and their gifts for granted, and they'll continue to scramble and scrape for opportunities to be taken for granted."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the New York Times:

January 15, 2006
Stage Acting: It's Nice Work if You Can Afford It.
By CHARLES ISHERWOOD
"We are subsidizing the theater." Those words, addressed to an audience in a Lincoln Center auditorium last weekend, weren't spoken by a corporate suit bragging about slapping the company name on the fire escape at one of the city's often needy nonprofit theaters.

They were spoken by the actor Tim Blake Nelson to a group of 100 or so of his fellow performers at the National Congress of Actors and Acting Teachers. What did he mean? Essentially, that actors help keep the theater in business by supplementing their meager stage paychecks with other, more remunerative kinds of work - "Law & Order" guest spots, voice-overs, commercials, even that old standby, waiting tables.

That's not really news to anyone paying attention, just common knowledge rephrased in an unusually discomfiting way. And unlike corporations and civilians, the actor doesn't get a tax break for the charitable contribution he makes to the nation's cultural life by working for a pittance. Applause aside, he doesn't get much in the way of thanks, either. No drinking fountain named after spear carrier No. 2 in that Off Off Broadway production of "Coriolanus," temping by day to give himself the chance to practice his craft and pay off debts from acting school.

For regular theatergoers, not to mention regular moviegoers and television watchers, actors are a bit like the weather: usually good, sometimes bad, but always there. Unless they reach the heavenly and lucrative realm of bona fide celebrity, and thus become subjects of swoony profiles in glossy magazines, we don't ask where they came from or where they're going, why and how they do what they do.

The daylong series of panels I attended on Jan. 7, presided over by J. Michael Miller, former director of the acting program at New York University and president of the Actors Center, shed some light on the answers to those unasked questions. (I also appeared on a critics and actors panel in the morning.) It was an eye-opening, often amusing, sometimes distressing look at the status of the actor in American culture, as seen by the practitioners themselves.

Journalists and theater executives are prone to hand-wringing about the high cost of theater tickets, a serious problem to be sure. But what about the high cost of living as an actor? Testimonials from actors at the congress suggested that in the past two decades, the acting life has been getting more expensive, which is to say the work is getting less remunerative.

Andrew Weems gave an explicit example, recalling that some two decades back he'd been in a production of "Troilus and Cressida" in Washington for which the actor playing Thersites had received about $600 a week. Recently Mr. Weems found himself playing the same role, Off Broadway, in a production directed by the esteemed Sir Peter Hall. Mr. Weems was earning significantly less. Another voice chimed in to denounce the disturbing tendency of regional theater management to mimic the latest trends in the corporate world: While the artistic directors' salaries have steadily grown, payments to actors have not kept pace.

What's worse, a recent conversation I had with an actress in Los Angeles suggested that the paychecks for work in television and film had been spiraling downward, too. She'd been working in television for a couple of decades, and is today making less per job than she earned in the beginning; guest spots that would once have provided a week's work were being squeezed into two days. No more "breaking top" - paying over strict scale - for actors with extensive experience. But if actors feel increasingly marginalized economically, it was their neglect as artists that rankled perhaps even more at the conference. (As Ruben Santiago-Hudson somewhat ruefully observed: "You can explore the depths of your soul. That is your pay." Which is doubtless true, but it won't buy you much at Whole Foods.)

Marco Barricelli, a member for eight years of San Francisco's major regional nonprofit, American Conservatory Theater, confessed to feeling "cynical about the theater" after more than two decades of steady work. After years of acting classical roles and becoming a "great justifier of other people's choices" in productions over which he had no personal control, Mr. Barricelli felt actors might have earned the right to make some choices of their own. But he complained that the boards who control the nation's theaters wouldn't consider actors for roles as administrators, no matter how extensive their experience. Others lamented that theaters were happy to lavish funds on new buildings, production values and expanding artistic staffs but wouldn't make the investment in establishing salaried companies of actors. (Mr. Barricelli was one of just four company members at American Conservatory.)

By recounting this gloomy litany of dissatisfaction, I may be giving a false impression of the day's overall tone, which was far more buoyant than bitchy, more affirmative than anguished. When Dianne Wiest contributed a few words from the audience, she began by saying, a little giddily, "I never want to leave this room." There was much talk of the emotional and intellectual rewards of the work, very little of the hard practicalities, the getting of agents and managers, the frustrations of the audition process. (In fact, the word "agent" might have arisen only when Denis O'Hare told a funny story of his hapless early years. Running into a familiar face on the street, he fell into a friendly chat before sheepishly saying: "I'm sorry. How do I know you?"

"I'm your agent," came the seething response.)

Mr. O'Hare also confessed that some years back, when he'd been starting out, he'd tried to quit acting twice, for reasons he could no longer recall. To the theater's benefit, he didn't succeed. Likewise, Mr. Santiago-Hudson confessed that despite some bad days, "The heart won't let me out."

But will the hearts of future generations of actors prove as intractable? In truth, the answer is probably yes, such is the lure of the profession, which was referred to as a calling and a faith by more than one participant. (Every third actor seemed to have flirted with joining the priesthood.) And the frustrations discussed weren't necessarily new; embarking on a career in acting has always been a risky enterprise.

But the testimony from the conference suggests that it may well be getting riskier by the minute. And that may be another dispiriting sign of a general shift in values in American culture, where the prerogatives of mega-corporations, their chieftains and their stock prices hold sway, and the increasingly pension-less workers are left to fend for themselves.

Big movie and television stars are the mega-corporations of the acting profession, and they seem to be acquiring an increasing measure of the industry's rewards, leaving less for the vast numbers of fameless actors. As the status of the star has continued to crest, with celebrity-obsessed television shows and magazines proliferating like bacteria over the past quarter-century, the unfortunate byproduct may be a declining respect for actors who don't happen to be household names. If performers' attractiveness and fame are what studios and even theaters want to buy and market, talent and experience naturally become commodities with lesser or no value.

That's a potentially calamitous situation. To gauge its impact on our culture, imagine a world in which there were no more actors, just stars. We'd have the cast of "Friends" performing Eugene O'Neill, and Paris Hilton as Hedda Gabler.

O.K., so I may be guilty of a little fear-mongering there. Things will probably never get that bad. But chances are we'll all continue taking journeyman actors and their gifts for granted, and they'll continue to scramble and scrape for opportunities to be taken for granted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,406 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 12:37 pm
Nice article, Mac.

You can be sure that I'll never take those actors for granted.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 09:00 am
Not surprisingly, the New York Times article is a hot topic of conversation in the New York theater and music world - or, at any rate, the portion of it that was sitting behind me at a performance I attended last night. Sitting in the pew behind me (the performance took place in a church) were two guys whom I'll refer to as A and B. Judging from their conversation, A seemed to be a singer, while B may have been a performer at one time but now seems to be getting more involved in the business side of the classical music world. During the intermission, they started talking about the Times article. A (the singer) kept saying, "Where are the unions?" (which I'm not sure is the right solution to the problem, although I don't know what is), while B said, "That's why I want to get into management".

At another point in the conversation, A asked B what the performance we were seeing was considered. (The performance consisted of about 50 Gilbert & Sullivan songs from various shows, strung together on the premise that the action was taking place at a wedding rehearsal, and that the songs depicted the flirtations, bickerings, etc. among the members of the wedding party.) A asked, "Is it a showcase, or a cabaret?" B's answer was "No, it's a revue". To which A immediately responded, "Oh, so no one's getting paid". Interesting glimpse into what performers think about.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:12 pm
Interesting tidbits from A and B. I want to join in!

B seemed to be saying that management is on the side of the unions? Or do you suppose he meant being a manager as in personal manager?

Why wouldn't they be paid for a revue? They were paid if it was a union cast. Unless they had a waiver.

Hmm, my take on "Where are the unions?" is that the unions are fighting a tough battle, probably a losing one. They've been allowing lower and lower pay situations, especially in regional (non-NYC) locations. It seems that they think that every paycheck, every work week is worth it, even if the union members have to work two or more jobs to pay the rent.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:14 pm
Oh, and how was the Gilbert & Sullivan showcase/revue/concert/cabaret?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:25 pm
Perhaps "revue" in some circles means "Charity-work-for-free"?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:30 pm
Showcase frequently means that none of the performers are being paid.

Revue usually just means that there is no plot, and frequently no dialogue.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:55 pm
mac11 wrote:
B seemed to be saying that management is on the side of the unions? Or do you suppose he meant being a manager as in personal manager?

I got the impression that he meant he wanted to become a personal manager instead of a performer.

mac11 wrote:
Why wouldn't they be paid for a revue? They were paid if it was a union cast. Unless they had a waiver.

This is the problem with eavesdropping on other people's conversations: you don't get a chance to ask them to clarify something you don't understand. All I can tell you is that B said something about "Nothing is written down", and I wasn't sure if that meant there was no contract, or no script, and what the relevance of either of those facts was. Also, it's possible that it wasn't a union cast, because they were all very young, and some of them were making their New York debuts. (One of the stated goals of the group that put it on, Cantiamo Opera Theater, is "providing an alternative performance venue for artists to hone their craft and grow their talent".)

I enjoyed the performance. I'm not sure that the wedding-rehearsal conceit really worked, but it was great fun to listen to all that G&S music, most of which I had never heard before. I know Pinafore and Mikado pretty well, but that's about it. The only songs I was familiar with were "Three Little Maids from School", "Take a Pair of Sparkling Eyes", and "Love, Unrequited".
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 07:22 pm
I know Penzance best, but could recognize Pinafore, Mikado, and maybe Iolanthe. I've seen others on stage, but don't know them well.

Have we ever talked about Topsy Turvy? I loved that movie. I should rent it again.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 07:53 pm
I don't think we have talked about Topsy Turvy -- I love it too.

I think "Love, Unrequited" is from Iolanthe. I have no idea why it sounded so familiar, since I don't think I've ever seen Iolanthe performed.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 08:04 pm
Yep, you're correct about Love, Unrequited.

I had a lot of friends who were music majors in college. They did Iolanthe, so I listened to it for a few months straight.
0 Replies