Your life, or his life?

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:17 am
Hi all,

I've been thinking on the following questions for ages.. I'd like to hear your answers and opinions about them;
We all know what the box of Pandora is, right..
Quote:
"If you were given the opportunity to open the box of Pandora, would you do it or would you keep it safe, never to be opened?"

and
Quote:
"If you were given the opportunity to safe millions of human lives, but had to kill one person, would you do it?"

I know this last question is kinda like oldnews stuff, but still..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,598 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:46 am
I see three questions here:

Would I give my life for another person? Only if it would be unthinkable for me to live without that other person. As far as strangers go, never. I am far more important than some stranger, and I would expect the same attitude from the stranger towards me.

Would I open Pandora's box? Even though I am a very curious person, why would I want to be responsible for letting loose the ills of the world? I would rent a safety deposit box in a bank, and leave it there in perpetuity. Wait a minute................I can't do that. The box was opened long ago! Sad

Would I kill one person to save millions? No contest. It would have been a privilege to off Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot or Saddam Hussein.
0 Replies

List0ric

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:55 am
and why is it that you find your life so important? what good do you do to us or the world?

anyone else? GIVE IT A GO!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:10 am
List0ric wrote:
and why is it that you find your life so important? what good do you do to us or the world?

anyone else? GIVE IT A GO!

Whether I do any good to you all or the world is irrelevant. The only thing that I am concerned with is that my life is of utmost importance to me. It is the only one that I have, and as such, I treasure it.
0 Replies

List0ric

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:32 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Whether I do any good to you all or the world is irrelevant. The only thing that I am concerned with is that my life is of utmost importance to me. It is the only one that I have, and as such, I treasure it.

As I said in an other post, to be found here[/b]

"People have always told me to live like there is no tomorrow, just like they do. Yesterday, while taking a bath, I thought about what they said. to be honest my hands started shaking, and my mind was working SO fast it was freaking me out. But I figured, this is why we are changing our world. Our own EGO, always ME, instead of what about them. LIVE LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW, don't think about our kids, and their children, and so on!"
That's exactly the way you react at this very moment..
0 Replies

wan

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:01 am
Q1:
I would not open the box. Why would I anyway when we all know its evil.

Q2:
I would consider if the millions of lives are worth saving. If u save people who will live on to harm others (talking about the extreme), then obviously saving them is a bad choice. Saving lives would be to give chances to these people: to reflect on what they have done to be in this situation, to find remedies, and to improve for the better, so naturally to save them would be ideal. But, I cannot possibly kill another because that is not my right even though its for a good cause.
Sacrifice oneself.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:38 am
List0ric wrote:
Our own EGO, always ME, instead of what about them. LIVE LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW, don't think about our kids, and their children, and so on!"
That's exactly the way you react at this very moment..

You know nothing about me. What apparently you are doing is making a global evaluation about one thing that I said. That is a common error that some people make.

I am not a person who lives only for today. I am very concerned about my immediate family, because they are important to ME. I have a general concern about humanity in general, but that is of secondary importance to me.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:47 am
If I recall correctly, hope also came from Pandora's box.

and yes, I would take a bullet for those that I know and love, but I'm not certain about a stranger.

Welcome to A2K, list and wan.
0 Replies

List0ric

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:07 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I am not a person who lives only for today. I am very concerned about my immediate family, because they are important to ME.

Maybe you do, but let me ask you this; if you do care about those who you love (lets just keep the people you don't know out of this for now) then why do you keep acting the way you act?
Yes I was making a global evaluation of one thing you said.. and you know why? because your words concern me.

Letty wrote:
If I recall correctly, hope also came from Pandora's box.

I thought it took away all hope?

Letty wrote:
Welcome to A2K, list and wan.

Thank you!

wan wrote:
Q1:
I would not open the box. Why would I anyway when we all know its evil.

well, the way we are living now; is there actually any hope?

wan wrote:
Q2:
… But, I cannot possibly kill another because that is not my right even though its for a good cause.
Sacrifice oneself.

That's exactly what I was waiting for someone to say! It's absolutely the way I feel about it too.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:32 am
Pandora's Box and the story of Hope.
In Greek mythology Zeus king of gods lived on Mount Olympus and men roamed freely there on the Mount and elswhere amongst the gods.Living at that time was a man called Epimetheus and he was the wisest amongst the men for he knew the secrets of life. Epimetheus took the beautiful Pandora as his wife.(Pandora was fashioned from water and clay by the gods and sent down among mortal man to punish them for Prometheus's act of stealing fire.) Pandora moved into the home of her new husband, and took up her wifely duties..."

Now, said her husband "you have all my worldly goods. You can take care of the house and all the animals that I have. You can go anywhere on my property and clean and sweep every corner, but I beg of you, never go to the north room. Keep it locked at all the times."

Now, Pandora set about her duties and was soon finished. As there was nothing else left to do she beacame restless and bored and so she began to wandering around the house and eventually coming to the north room. She tried the door but it was locked, she went away but thoughts of the room kept going around inside her head. "Maybe i can just take a little look "she thought to hereself, just take a quick peek, surely there would be no harm in that". After a little while she decided she would get the keys and open the door.She retirned to the room and unlocked the door and door opened noiselessly, Pandora peered into the room, but it was totally empty with the exception of a box in the middle of it. Pandora's curiosity knew no bounds, she felt compelled to open the box, and so she did and out came hundreds of creatures looking like insects. The insect like creatures bit and stung Pandora all over her body her then they flew up and spread out into the room. Quickly, Pandora shut the lid and sat on it. While sitting there on the box she heard knocking coming from inside it. Now she was reluctant to open the box again thinking that she had already done enough harm. "Let me out", said a tiny voice, "and maybe I can help you". Pandora thought about it and decided to take one more chance. She opened the box and out came a tiny fairy .

"I am Hope,said the fairy, Pandora due to your curiosity you have let out all possible troubles for mankind. There will be no peace of mind for humans from this day forth. There will be greed and jealousy,insanity and lust, there will be plague and hatred,men will fight each other,wives will be set against husbands,sons against fathers,brother againgst brother,there will be famine,pestilence,vice and destruction.The world will know great sorrow...............

Hearing this Pandora started to cry and sob terribly, for the great harm she had brought upon herself and her fellow humans."Do not cry so much Pandora,said the fairy, "yes it is true that you have unleashed all manner of afflictions upon the world , but you have also let me out. I will always be there to bring hope to humans, whenever they are in trouble. I will always be there as the promise of Hope!.
0 Replies

List0ric

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 12:09 pm
ok, you are right! Thank you for this new information, cleared out a lot.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 03:37 pm
Re: Your life, or his life?
List0ric wrote:
Hi all,

I've been thinking on the following questions for ages.. I'd like to hear your answers and opinions about them;
We all know what the box of Pandora is, right..
Quote:
"If you were given the opportunity to open the box of Pandora, would you do it or would you keep it safe, never to be opened?"

and
Quote:
"If you were given the opportunity to safe millions of human lives, but had to kill one person, would you do it?"

I know this last question is kinda like oldnews stuff, but still..

Curiosity is good and not bad so long as it doesn't go to extreme, and in this case it is not extreme. So, if I was given Pandora's box and told that I should not open it, I would question why? So Zeus would have to tell me why I couldn't open it and if He didn't then I would give the box back to Him 'cause what use would it be to me? Curiosity got the better of Pandora and that's why she opened the box, right? Curiosity was created by Zeus in this case to spread evil around with a touch of hope. So, if Pandora gave in to curiosity, she did nothing wrong.

I would not take that opportunity to save millions and take one person's life because what meaning would saving millions mean then? Besides, I don't think a scenario could arise where we have a choice of saving millions or one. It's not possible. If let's say some people were drowning and I could save a few lives, I'd just save whoever's I could, right? But I don't think that a scenario ever comes where you can be given a choice as to saving millions by taking one life. If someone corrupt says, let those guys out of prison and we will free who we kidnapped, I'd ask them what is the guarantee that you will not kidnap another? Or if some corrupt say, let that guy out of prison and we'll free your family, I'd say, what is the guarantee that you won't do the same again? So, blackmail is out for me. I will not be blackmailed in the case of life for life, but to save a life by money or other things, I could consider that.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 04:49 pm
Extreme curiosity would be keeping someone on surveillance in the sense of keeping a camera in their washroom or bedroom. Giving in to that kind of curiosity is wrong.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:12 pm
Two things to say here, trying not to bash your posts too much Wink
list0ric wrote:
well, the way we are living now; is there actually any hope? Shocked Of course!! As long as we are alive there is hope!! As long as we have conciousness to change our ways there is hope!! That's a kind of suicidal way to look at it don't you think?
and why is it that you find your life so important? what good do you do to us or the world? What makes the person I am to save so important? What good does he do to us or the world? That sounds like a very Marxist-like question to me.

Now read and say what you will...
Okay, to the whole 'would you die for another?' question I say, it is entirely my decision. If I love the person,or if I think their death will kill many others, then I will consider dying for them. You may say that that way of thinking is vain. At this I say 'bah'! In the words of Steven Tyler, "It's my life!". I would certainly not sacrifice my life for a stranger or even for someone I didn't like. Neither would you. If you think otherwise you are just deluding yourself. Actions speak louder than words, I always say. So I don't care what anyone thinks. My life is obviously valued above all others because it is my life. It is all I have in this world. It is my entirity and to lose it, I would cease to exist. I would no longer be, while if someone else was killed, I would remain. Now there might be lives that I would consider saving with my own, such as mass numbers of people or someone I love. But, in general, my answer to your question is a loud and resounding 'no'.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:25 am
I'm a LITTLE skeptical about this hope thing. When Zeus sent the evils witht hope inside the box, then how come only the evils were out but hope remained inside. Zeus was angry, true. And I see that He still had good in Him for as an afterthought He put hope together with the evils. But if hope never came out, then it means that although Zeus' action was still okay but His intention was not, for He intended the hope to not come out of the box. This means I believe that what we would have is false hope, it's there but not really there. I need a fight with Zeus. Just kidding! It is also possible that Zeus gave us all, blessings, evil and hope. But Pandora would have to take a risk of keeping the box open after seeing the evils come out. So if she took the risk, we would have had hope. Just like Prometheus took the risk of giving fire to Man. You know what? That makes Zeus kind of fair and just, and not a trickster at all. He gave us all I believe but with a touch of risk. The Gods, the Gods, the Gods! Tricky people but not tricksters. I'll get around them. I have to find a way.

As for giving my life for another, I would not do that ever. If I don't treasure my own life, how would I treasure another's? It's just a mother's love that baffles me a lot. As a mother, I'm not sure if I would give or not give my life for my child.
0 Replies

Kuro Ichiko

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:53 pm
Beena wrote:
As a mother, I'm not sure if I would give or not give my life for my child.

I find something seriously wrong with that comment. A mother's need to protect her children is something that should come natural. While I am not a mother myself, I know my own mother and several others who would not even think before saving their child. Could you honestly watch as your child died, even when you knew there was something you could do about it. If you could, then you never really loved your child at all.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:11 pm
what if the mother is the only person who is LEFT for that child and HER death would mean the child is left abandoned?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 01:42 am
I don't believe anyone is more "important" than anyone else, in term of value. It is in total disregard of the being of other people that selfishness comes in.

About your questions:

Would I sacrifice one person to save the life of more than one? No. I would only do so if the person agrees to do it. Because a person is not the same as that of an object, and therefore I believe that you should not regard people as things to be used. A person's life, is his or her right.

Would I give up my own life to save another's? Honestly, I don't know until I'm in the situation. I don't think one should treat people as something that is to be added or subtracted, but in terms of my own life, when I think about giving up my life to save someone, I'm more willing if it was to save more than one person; the thought of two people swapping position of life or death just seems weird sometimes.
0 Replies

Kuro Ichiko

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 06:49 am
shewolfnm wrote:
what if the mother is the only person who is LEFT for that child and HER death would mean the child is left abandoned?

But it's natural for people to hope. If a mother has a choice to save her child, she would most likely do it no matter what. Even if it meant that the child would be abandoned, the mother would probably believe that as long as her child has life there is always hope. Also, how could a mother who truly loves her child live with herself knowing that her child is dead when they could have been living.

Now I understand where you're coming from, and I believe that if the mother of that child had time to think of what she should do that she might come to the same realization that you did. However, like I stated before, a mother who truly loved her child would probably try every option before seeing their child die.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:46 am
Kuro_Ichiko wrote:
Beena wrote:
As a mother, I'm not sure if I would give or not give my life for my child.

I find something seriously wrong with that comment. A mother's need to protect her children is something that should come natural. While I am not a mother myself, I know my own mother and several others who would not even think before saving their child. Could you honestly watch as your child died, even when you knew there was something you could do about it. If you could, then you never really loved your child at all.

The talk was not about saving your child but giving your life for a child. When you have learned to read English properly, and also learned to see your faults, rather than finding faults with others where there are none, come and discuss here, otherwise SHUT UP!
0 Replies