Empty Coffee Grounds?

Pitter

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:26 am
Is it ok for the septic system to empty coffee grounds down the drain? I ask only because we have just dug a new one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,261 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:33 am
why are you emptying coffee grounds down the drain anyway?

Throw them in the garbage, or the mulch pile.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:22 am
Excellent compost material.....

http://www.mastercomposter.com/survey/coffee.html
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:37 pm
And if you mix broken egg shells in, scatter them around your garden, it's good fertilizer AND keeps the slugs away.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:40 pm
I've always heard that coffee grounds help to keep the drain clear.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 04:32 pm
Eoe--

Coffee grounds are not good for drains.

That rumor was started before plastic was invented and coffee grounds had to be wrapped in several layers of something--usually newspaper--so they wouldn't soak through the garbage bag.

Putting them down the kitchen sink with a plausible theory was easier.

Coffee grounds are an excellent source of nitrogen--dandy for outdoor mulch or indoor plants--but like any other solid they are not good for the kitchen sink.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 05:14 pm
So...they're probobly beneficial to a septic system?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 06:43 pm
Pitter--

Would you add 6 scoops of topsoil every day to your septic tank? Of course not. Don't add coffee grounds (or tea bags) either. Use them in your beautiful garden instead.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:10 pm
Be aware that what you flush or wash down the drain can damage the system. Don't flush dyed or heavy toilet tissue or paper towels, feminine hygiene products, condoms or disposable diapers. Though some disinfectants, ammonia, and cleaners are not likely to significantly damage a system, avoid washing quantities of chemicals-particularly chlorine bleach-into the system. Never pour chemical drain cleaners, solvents, such as paint, motor oil, pesticides, poisons or chemicals into drain pipes. Minimize use of a garbage disposer and don't dispose of fat, grease, or coffee grounds.

I got that information from this location, pitter.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 05:35 am
So...they're probably not beneficial to the septic system.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 12:29 pm
Pitter--

No more "beneficial" than garden dirt would be.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:36 pm
Just an interesting point that came to mind.

When we go to our farmhouse in France, it is quite often the case that nobody has been using the place for several weeks, and it is therefore necessary to dump a couple of large tubs of "live" yoghurt down the loo as soon as we arrive.

The system that they use out in the country is called a "fosse septic" (probably spelt incorrectly) that we had put in about two years ago.

Above ground, it looks just like the yellow submarine of cartoon fame, and when it is in place underground, it has several perforated plastic pipes that run off down various trenches, where the effluent, after it has been broken down by good bacteria, soaks away into the soil, far below the surface.

When the whole thing is covered over and grassed, you wouldn't know it was there. No nasty smells, no unsightly pipes ....nothing, apart from one small access hatch that is hidden, well out of the way.

I have no idea whether these things are used in the USA (I can honestly say that I have never heard of them in the UK), but these things are bloody marvellous.
No emptying....just flush and go.

The list that Gus provided on the previous page pretty much sums up what we are NOT allowed to put down there, and we even have to use bacterially friendly toilet cleaner, in order to keep the munching bacteria from being killed off.

The sinks, baths, washing machine and showers drain off into a separate soak away, so the detergent and bleach that goes down there doesn't do the munchers any harm.

Marvellous invention! Bloody French.....always one step ahead in this sort of thing.
Walter will now come along and tell me it's German. That won't surprise me.
0 Replies