Why do you bash other people's posts?

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:28 am
I have to say that I'm getting increasingly discouraged by the amount of people that I see putting down other people because they disagree with something someone else said in their post.

I mean, we're all here to have fun and learn right? What's the point in trying to degrade someone else because you disagree with them?

The best way to disagree with someone is to present your arguments in a logical, well thought out manor. And, if you get frustrated, what's the point in converting it to insults? Nobody can hear you, so curse them out verbally, but why not try to present your replies as though you had a cool head before you hit the post button?

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed it more and more lately and it takes the fun out of debating. Is anyone else tired of it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,708 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:32 am
Way past tired of it! I know I have engaged in a few bruhahas and don't like that I did it at all. Maybe if enough of us look at our own behavior and change what we can in ourselves it will have an overall effect.

I'd much rather share information than insults.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:36 am
Yes rover I am too. I think things have calmed down though. Don't be discouraged though. We are all just people doing the best we can with what we've got, ya know? It's easy to get so caught up in something sometimes that you start reacting out of emotions rather than responding out of logical thought. I've gotten caught up in this kind of behavior a few times. Crying or Very sad This is a very good thread. I'm glad you posted this. I think the more people see how much this kind of behavior is disrupting things the more likely it is to stop. Take care. Smile
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:14 am
Quote:
Why do you bash other people's posts?

Because other people's posts suck!

Just kidding, of course (my horse)...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 02:26 pm
bm
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 02:35 pm
Re: Why do you bash other people's posts?
roverroad wrote:
I have to say that I'm getting increasingly discouraged by the amount of people that I see putting down other people because they disagree with something someone else said in their post.

I mean, we're all here to have fun and learn right? What's the point in trying to degrade someone else because you disagree with them?

The best way to disagree with someone is to present your arguments in a logical, well thought out manor. And, if you get frustrated, what's the point in converting it to insults? Nobody can hear you, so curse them out verbally, but why not try to present your replies as though you had a cool head before you hit the post button?

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed it more and more lately and it takes the fun out of debating. Is anyone else tired of it?

I'm tired of it for the moment, but you never know when I will feel like it again. I agree with you that the best way to disagree with someone in a debate is to present your arguments in a logical, well thought out manner, but (and I'm only talking about the non-thought, religious posts here) when someone is just spouting some stuff that they believe without any evidence, backup information that might help their case, or basically anything that has anything to do with rational debate, then the gloves are off, in my opinion, and I will respond in whatever manner I see fit. Sometimes that will be with ridicule, sometimes it will be with calm, respectful information, and sometimes I'll just ignore it completely.

But I do agree that the vitriol is at critical mass lately, and that is one reason why I've backed off a bit.

'Nuff said.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 02:36 pm
I never bash other people's posts.
I prefer to bash the person.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 02:52 pm
Dys, you big brutish bully!
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 02:58 pm
I have to say that I was in a bad mood when I asked this question. But it is a valid one. Many of us come here to enjoy thought provoking discussions and it's annoying when a perfectly good thread is derailed because someone feels the need to call someone a fart face. Smile I mean, are we in third grade here or are we all adults? If you want to be funny or rude start your own thread, but don't derail a perfectly good thread because you disagree with something that was said. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 03:01 pm
poopity head.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:53 pm
I might bash someone else's post, depending on how assinine it is. Especially when someone is being purposefully rude, ignorant, or repetitive. Taking someone like that seriously is counter-productive.
0 Replies

LoneHaranger

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:53 pm
I'm new here, but I've noticed a tendancy for people to gang up. Someone might start a harmless enough thread, but then a poster will come on and disagree with them. All of a sudden, there are five, six or more people jumping in to hit the one person over the head. I don't think you need to have pile ups like that! :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:27 pm
Oh yeah? Well, I think your avatar sucks!

Come on, help me out, guys...:wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:37 pm
Frankly, I think it's a great avatar. Sorry Kicky (usually I do agree with you).
By "bash" I hope we're not referring to simple disagreement. I benefit from many "corrections" of my facts and theoretical conclusions. It's one of the reasons I'm here. But I agree that rudeness is not acceptable. It could ruin us as it did Abuzz. But I think our monitors do keep a careful eye on that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:05 pm
kickycan wrote:
Oh yeah? Well, I think your avatar sucks!

Come on, help me out, guys...:wink:

You start bashin' wabbit avatars around here, and I'll be showing you who CAN kicky.
0 Replies

LoneHaranger

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:08 pm
I like Bugs. I'm keeping him. He's a great wiseguy and he's got a New York accent!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:09 pm
Now dlowan's not one I would disagree with too readily.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:17 pm
LoneHaranger wrote:
I like Bugs. I'm keeping him. He's a great wiseguy and he's got a New York accent!

Right on, sibling!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:18 pm
I couldn't resist :-)
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/139000/139318kPrO_w.jpg

Seriously, it does seem that there are cases of purposely trying to rile some posters by bashing them and their posts. This does nothing but cause retaliation which grows into bigger retaliation and my dad can beat your dad.

I quite expected to see some of the bashers bashing this thread, but happily that has not happened.
0 Replies

LoneHaranger

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:29 pm
Quote:
Right on, sibling!

:wink:
0 Replies