Road Trip

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:54 pm
The Mrs and I need to get away for a day or two.

Of course we are to broke and to busy to allow us to go anywhere to far and for to long, so we are thinking about an extended weekend road trip.

I figure anywhere within 10 hours of Milwaukee would be do-able... any ideas on location/activities?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,721 • Replies: 21
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:37 am
I take it you people don't like road trips???
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:40 am
Nothing against road trips. I just don't know anything about Milwaukee and its environs. Sorry! Sad
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
Love road trips, but Im sure you dont want any fossil or mineral sites. Especially covered with snow.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:48 am
If you head straight south 9 or 10 hours, you'll be in Memphis. Great bbq, lots of Elvis souvenirs. Should be considerably warmer than Milwaukee. What do you think?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:45 am
I was thinking of Memphis or perhaps Nashville.

Easy drive, too. I went to school at SIU for a year so I am pretty familiar with the drive down.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:21 am
I've got lots of family in southern Illinois so we used to drive from Baton Rouge to there often. Memphis was a good stopping point if we needed one.

Dad went to SIU before it was SIU - Illinois Normal College, I think.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:23 am
Chicago!

Go next weekend, be there on a Monday and Tuesday, hit all the big attractions for free. (Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Brookfield Zoo, Art Institute, etc., etc.)
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:38 am
mac11 wrote:

Are you are thinking of ISU (Illinois State University) which is in Normal? SIU (Southern IL University) is in Carbondale.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:42 am
sozobe wrote:
Chicago!

Go next weekend, be there on a Monday and Tuesday, hit all the big attractions for free. (Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Brookfield Zoo, Art Institute, etc., etc.)

That is Plan B, Soz. We would really like to get away away for a couple of days but if our finances/schedules won't allow it, Chitown is a great alternative... and lets face it, Chicago compared to Milwaukee is like a whole other world only an hour and a half away.

Plus, I haven't been to the Shedd since I was a kid. My siblings and I could always choose one thing for our family to do on our birthday. I think I chose the Shedd Aquarium and dinner at the Italian Villiage 4 years in a row.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:49 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
mac11 wrote:

Are you are thinking of ISU (Illinois State University) which is in Normal? SIU (Southern IL University) is in Carbondale.

Nope, he went to college in Carbondale - graduated in 1938. It was a teacher's college then, and definitely had the word Normal in the name. I just can't recall what the exact name was then.

From http://www.siuc.edu/aboutsiuc/index.html
Quote:

From Merriam-Websters Online
Normal school: a usually 2-year school for training chiefly elementary teachers
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:53 am
Ahh... Normal being a type of school instead of the location.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:43 pm
So Memphis is on the possiblility pile... anybody have any other suggestions?

Anybody have any ideas for doing Memphis cheap?
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 05:36 pm
Definitely, go south. Memphis or Nashville sounds better than Chicago this time of year, just because of the cold.

Once you decide where you're going look online, there are tons of music things happening in Nashville and Memphis. Also, Nashville is a nice city to just poke around in...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 05:45 pm
The desert southwest is wonderful this time of year, If I was you I would avoid it.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 05:51 pm
jp : why do want to leave milwaukee ?
i understand one can buy plenty of 'old milwaukee' right there. two cases of it over the weekend and you won't even remember where you are any more. hbg

http://www.zianet.com/spencer/oldmilwaukee405c.jpg
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:37 am
Two cases of Old Milwaukee over the wekend and I won't be leaving the bathroom let alone Milwaukee.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:14 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
lets face it, Chicago compared to Milwaukee is like a whole other world only an hour and a half away.

Fer sure.

Quote:
Plus, I haven't been to the Shedd since I was a kid. My siblings and I could always choose one thing for our family to do on our birthday. I think I chose the Shedd Aquarium and dinner at the Italian Villiage 4 years in a row.

Of the ones I mentioned, the Shedd is most annoyingly "free" -- the main (old) aquarium part is free but you have to pay for the oceanarium part and the "Wild Reef" part. The Brookfield Zoo is pretty much entirely free (there is like a play area for kids that is extra) and almost all of the good stuff at the Field is free. There is a Chinese dino exhibit going on that's extra, and the big bummer is that the regular dino wing is closed for renovations (opening May 2006), but there is still plenty to see. We didn't go to the Art Institute.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 10:55 am
"Fer Sure" is one of my favorite sayings... is that a midwest thing or a capricorn thing?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 11:07 am
Or a child of the 80's thing?

You're younger than me tho.
0 Replies