Unexpected type-size changes. Are they related to footnotes

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 08:23 pm
I am working on a rather long paper, and do frequent print-outs. In the last print-out I noticed, about halffway through, the type all became "miniature." The font for this paper is 12-point Ariel. At the time, I thought it was just a "glitch" of some sort. This afternoon as I was typing, I had to add some material after a footnote - the "placer" or cursor (ie, the vertical bar that shows where the next typed letter will go) suddenly got smaller. In fact, it was footnote-size. But when I started to type, EVERYTHING began to look like a footnote. What is happening? What can I do to get things back to normal size?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 561 • Replies: 6
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 08:36 pm
Hi again Woolly.

Are you using auto footnotes or are you inserting them manually and making them 'superscript'? If it's the latter it sounds like your just typing in a superscript formatted text block. Highlight the text you want big and turn off superscript (sorry, don't know where it is WP).
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:05 pm
Changes in font size
Good Ole Hingehead:
When I want to put in a footnote (actually an endnote). I must go up to the (toolbar?) under "Insert." Once there you click on "footnotes/ endnlotes" and there is a space to place the number - then click "enter." This sends the writer to the end of the page, or end of the paper as the case may be, where the footnote number is waiting for whatever you wish to say.
If "auto" footnotes are the same as auto-numbering (or auto-renumbering) this would sound familiar, because (this was my last posted question) I am trying to find auto-footnoting).
What is an auto-formatted blocK? In case you haven't guessed already, I am "computer illiterate." It sounds to me like you have the answer, but I don't have the vocabulary to know what it means.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:47 pm
OK woolly - sorry to confuse with auto stuff - I just wanted to find out how you were doing it.

Is it possible that you inserted endnote number in the text of your document and then moved the cursor next to the number and started typing? It sounds like your text has taken on the little number's formatting.

This is hard when I don't know WP10 but if you highlight some of your small text (that you want big) try and find if it has a style of endnote, or a font format of superscript, and change it back to how the proper text is.

Hope that helps.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 11:00 pm
Hingehead:
Before I got your last message, I was told to go into MACRO (this is not the first time someone has mentioned macro); and frankly, I am unfamiliar with it & didn't want to - but I finally did. Lo and behold, I got rid of the "little letters," but now I can't get out of the Macro. What IS macro, anyway - and what does it do?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 12:18 am
No idea in a wordperfect context. In microsoft word it's a programming language for automating tasks.

Is it a view? I know WP allowed you to see indepth formatting, but that's about all I know.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 09:52 pm
I turned on the computer, and everything came out right. Even the footnotes are in the right sequence. My problem is that I still can't set up any cause-and-effect.
Thanks for your help.
0 Replies