The Shiralee - Do you know where I could get a copy?

Mame

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:36 pm
I have searched everywhere and cannot find it. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's a Bryan Brown film from ages ago, made in Australia... about a roustabout and his daughter. Great movie... anyway, I've been looking high and low for it ... if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,747 • Replies: 17
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:51 pm
Can't find it, Amazon does not sell it and it does not appear to be available on either VHS or DVD.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:04 pm
Thanks, jespah - I may have to contact an autralian source...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:22 pm
Dunno if it helps or not, but I theink The Shiralee was an Australian TV minis-series. Some googling turned up the info that an alternate title was Macaulay's Daughter, though I wasn't able to find any vendor offering either title for sale.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:11 pm
Thanks, but maybe Macaulay's daughter was the series... the movie was The Shiralee... one of the best things I've seen. I found the book, but it doesn't quite do it for me Smile
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:14 pm
IMDb lists it as a mini-series. One of the comments on this page says it was originally aired in two parts on Australian TV.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094546/
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 03:14 am
Mame,

The version with Bryan Brown was a mini-series.
There was an earlier, black and white film version with Peter Finch that was also excellent.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 02:34 pm
I don't know if I'm allowed to say that I just checked and it's on a well known peer to peer network, the name of which sounds like an electronic donkey. The 1988 2 parter I mean.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:54 am
GOT IT !!!!!
Did a search on E-Bay.Came up with this link The Shiralee starring Bryan Brown It's sixth in the list.
DVD Region 4 (because it's Australian),AD$18.42,which is about US$14.
Family Drama,1988
Director-George Ogilvie
Stars Bryan Brown,Noni Hazlehurst.
Over to you :wink:
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 08:27 pm
YOU ARE A DOLL!!!!!!! Barry, I love you! Thank you SO MUCH!!! It's the MOVIE, right? Thank you again Smile

Thank you, mac, lezzles, and contrex... but this WAS a movie (we rented it) and not the series. Unless there was more to it than that...

he keeps the kid Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 08:46 pm
A Region 4 DVD ain't gonna do you much good on most North American Market DVD players, Mame - you might wanna check out this before you send off your money for that movie.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:05 pm
Good point, timber... I never even thought of that! Drat. I guess I could get the player, but for just one movie? I dunno... but a HUGE thanks for saving me some money.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:49 am
As far as I can recall - Brian Brown wasn't in the original movie - it must have dated from the '50's - when I was in primary school. The kid in the movie came from my school.

Brian Brown wasn't around then

Further research: Here's a brief list of stars - the original movie dates to 1957.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050961/

Star I couldn't recall was Peter Finch!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:25 am
Hi,me again.I think i've got this sorted.The film you refer to did star Bryan Brown,but it was a TV version,meant to be transmitted in 2 parts.When the time came to release it,first on VHS and then on DVD,it was heavily edited,that's why you thought it was an ordinary film.See here....The Shirilee-Bryan Brown-1987-colour.....scroll down a bit to the first review.This explaines all! Still,an Australian DVD,as noted earlier,is no b****y good to you,since your DVD player is not multi-region.So,unfortunatly,you're buggered.May I suggest that you request a multi-region player for your next birthday present from a loved one.I'm sure they could pick up a Sony for around $90.Then,the WHOLE WORLD of DVD's is your oyster.Please don't confine yourself to Region 1,you are missing out on a whole lot of fun.If you can't find any sites supplying m/r players,get back to me and I'll give you a few addresses.
Barry
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:19 pm
Barry, thank you. My daughter as a multi-region DVD player from when they lived in the UK and I think she doesn't want it, so I'll just buy it from her.

And you're a font of info and a good samaritan - thank you so much for your help...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:35 pm
It's nice to see positive results from interaction on this forum!
0 Replies

mistral

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:45 am
First of all this was a charming novel by D'Arcy Niland (1920-1967) I read in the 1950th, that formed my image of Australia!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:20 pm
I found the 'novelette' (can't quite call it a book) and liked it, but only looked for it because of the movie... just a great little film. Good stuff.

I also bought the movie, so thanks barry, and everyone else who helped. Smile You are the best.
0 Replies