Indifference/ The Most Effective Response to Irrationality

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:06 am
Menudo is a popular Mexican variant of tripe soup--this is a recipe page for Menudo from San Marcos, Tejas, which has a Menudo cook-off !
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:12 am
Setanta wrote:
Menudo is a popular Mexican variant of tripe soup--

As well as the most rockinist band ever!!!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006674A.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:14 am
I was kinda tryin' to avoid that reference, JP . . . but, yes, you are right . . . LMAO . . .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:44 am
How fascinating Menudo Tripe Explosion. Never heard of them any good?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:54 am
I'm not a Ricky Martin fan, nor a fan of dance music, so i don't have an opinion on them, other than to note that i'm as likely to want to listen to them as i am to listen to a sermon . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 03:42 pm
if this is a hint about tonight's supper, i'm not going home Confused
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:11 pm
Naw, the dogs finished all the tripe already . . . we're having kidney stew ! ! !
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:14 pm
Confused
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:23 pm
Alright, alright . . . macaroni dinner and weiners . . . but i can't keep haulin' stuff outta the freezer and puttin' it back again . . .
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:54 pm
Setanta wrote:
Alright, alright . . . but i can't keep haulin' that stiff outta the freezer and puttin' it back again . . .

Did I read that right?
To what end may one ask, are you trying to thaw relations? >Sans emoticon<

I have observed that the world has suffered far less from ignorance than from pretensions to knowledge. It is not skeptics or explorers but fanatics and ideologues who menace decency and progress. No agnostic ever burned anyone at the stake or tortured a pagan, a heretic, or an unbeliever.

~Daniel J. Boorstin
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:56 pm
no agnostic ever got off the fence and faced his dragon either.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:57 pm
I'm not a fan of Boorstein, but that is a good one . . .

(As for the fake typo, i won't forget that . . . somewhere, sometime, i'm gonna get ya for that . . . )
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:36 pm
I have been offered menudo many times and have yet to taste it. I'm sorry, but that's not how I want to tickle my tongue.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:42 pm
pretty bland actually.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:42 pm
dyslexia wrote:
no agnostic ever got off the fence and faced his dragon either.

I used to think that agnosticism was a cop-out, but I no longer do. I think that we know so little, that there are infinite possibilities. A creator is a longshot, human beings having absolutely no indication of her existence, so if I were a betting woman, I would wager that there is no Goddess.

I really don't care one way or the other, and if it were found that there were a creator, it would not make one whit of difference to me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:45 pm
well Phoenix as I once said to frank, agnosticism is the rational position but then I have never subscribed to being purely rational.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:50 pm
I don't know if you have seen certain of my posts, but I think listening to Frank was what changed my opinion of the subject over time. If you got beyond the harangue and bluster, what Frank was saying, IMO, made a lot of sense.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:02 pm
Someday Somewhere Sometime

Someday I will win you with a smile,
Someday.
Somewhere I will run more than a mile,
Somewhere.
Sometime I will walk alone,
And, for my sins atone.
Someday, but not today.
Not on Friday 13th.

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof, where nobody can retrieve it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 08:51 pm
A while ago, in a post that was subsequently praised by some, I wrote:
Setanta wrote:
However, the big clincher is that the point has nothing to do with the troops. The point is that this site has a high page rank, and therefore, MOAN gets to put her virutal mug out there, associated with the prayer clap trap, on web pages more likely to be seen by casual, virtual passers-by than at any other site.

That is why it's happening here, precisely because of the success this site enjoys. [..] She is here trolling for recruits and trying to keep herself, personally, before the public. The prayer crap is a sham.

OK, this appears to be your main argument. That the prayer thread is a front, and that in reality she is abusing A2K as a recruitment tool.

Personally, I dont believe a word of that. [She's] no different from any of us others who put forward certain views or perspectives. So it's not a question of one of those explicit recruitment / advertisement moves that are forbidden in the TOS.

Instead, then, breaking it down, I understand your gripe to be that Momma Angel is overly active in expressing and propagating her views / beliefs / opinions, in as many threads as she can handle, which you interpret as a recruitment strategism. But it is no different from what many of the Politics buffs do here or have done. Theres been no end to the posters who have expressed, pleaded and defended their personal political agenda here on A2K as much as they liked. It is an open forum, after all, where people can express and push for their political views.

It can be annoying, for sure. We talked of Swolf, yesterday, who would turn any thread into a defence of the victimised Serbs. Cjhsa will never stop starting threads propagating gun rights. BBB will post an unending flow of articles that support / push her leftist critique of the Bush administration. If none of that is considered a devious attempt to abuse the page ranking of A2K for recruiting afficionados, why is this different? (And A2K isnt exactly the heart of the universe either, if that were the purpose she'd have chosen a better venue no?)

Well, now it seems like I owe Setanta an apology.

In another thread (the "masturbation is evil" one), someone found a link in a poster's profile to a forum called "spiritwarrior". If you look up the posts there that mention "A2K" you get 11 hits. They include these ...

Quote:
Momma Angel
Posted: 01 01 12, 2006 8:08 pm

Hi Everyone!

How has God blessed me today? He sent me some real angels! Some know me from A2K, some don't. It's getting rough on that forum. The non-believers are really rebelling against God's word. I think those of you that post on A2K realize that.

I am asking if any of you do go to A2K and post in the Spirituality & Religion Forums, please DO NOT post in the threads that the atheists start that clearly are to mock the Lord! If we stay out of those threads, they will die from their own evil.

And those of you that do not post on Able2know.com, I encourage you to do so. We are in a spiritual war today. We need as many Christians as we can possibly get to stand united against the father of lies.

I want to see this site grow to be something so glorifying to God! We can all do that by finding others to come here. But, please, please, do not PM or directly ask anyone on A2K to join SpiritWarriors. That's against the TOS. I am in contact with a lot of the Christians there and I am telling them about this site to get them to come here.

We have to put forth our best Christlike armor we can my brothers and sisters in Christ. The Beast knows that his time is short and he grows angry. [..]

Love in Christ,

Momma Angel

Quote:
my-2-punkins
Posted: 01 01 13, 2006 11:03 pm

Hi MA!!! 99067

I'll be at A2K later tonight. I'll do what you said about the athiests threads. I hope I remember!

You said what I've been thinking...to send more people to there thru here. We could certainly use more Christians!

Quote:
Momma Angel
Posted: 01 01 15, 2006 8:24 pm

[..] Yes! Have you noticed the change on A2K? It seems most of the contention is disspitating! Praise God for that!

Quote:
my-2-punkins
Posted: 01 01 15, 2006 9:59 pm

Thanks!

I *have* noticed! I have to say, you're doing a great job.

Alot better than I could do since I lose my patience.

Quote:
Momma Angel
Posted: 01 01 15, 2006 11:27 pm

Little Mouse,

It's not me doing anything. It is He that is within me. Like I said, half the time I'm not sure what I even typed. Your input is invaluable on A2K. We need to encourage all Christians to register and start posting in the Spirituality & Religion Forums. I guess if Set thinks I am recruiting Christians I might as well start doing it!

So, tell everyone. I am telling everyone about this site and trying to help get more to register. We can be a mighty army for the Lord.

Quote:
Irish Rose
Posted: 01 01 16, 2006 1:30 am

What is A2K?

Quote:
my-2-punkins
Posted: 01 01 16, 2006 11:25 pm

A2K is able2know.com. It's an all religion forum with so many lost people it's scary. There's even people who call themselves Christian but have some serious blinders on. You would be very welcomed there if you were to go (by the Christians anyway), LOL. [..]

Quote:
Irish Rose
Posted: 01 01 17, 2006 2:22 am

Thanks for the info on A2K. I might have to stop in. I am pretty good with apologetics (I better be, i am a full time street evanglist )

And, after all of this came out on the "is masturbation evil" thread...

Quote:
Momma Angel
Posted: 01 01 31, 2006 3:42 pm

Hello Everyone,

Earlier in this thread I made a request that we get as many Christians as possible to go to Able2Know.com and stand for the Lord. I am now asking you NOT to go to Able2Know.com. They are very angry that I have asked other Christians to join and I don't want anyone to reap their anger. I will not be posting there myself any longer. I let them know that yes, I did post what I posted on this site (they even copied it and put it on A2K) and I will not apologize for it. However, I did paint with a rather wide brush in my original request. Not all the people that do not believe in God on A2K are actively aggressive with those that do believe. Some I have found to be very kind and fair people. So, I do apologize for that generalized statement.

Again, please DO NOT go to A2K because I asked you to do it. I am not sorry that I asked because I will stand up for the Lord no matter what the adversity.

Thank You,

Momma Angel

She doesnt appear to have a clue what is bad about telling people here, again and again, that no, she isnt here to proselytise, she is only here to learn about things, to think about things herself, not to recruit anyone ... and then us seeing that meanwhile, this is what she posts about her real motivation.

I mean, her answer, earlier on, to Sozobe's fair and politely asked question in this post suddenly seems sickeningly hypocritical ... you know, where she went,

Momma Angel wrote:
Sozobe wrote:
There is a persistent undercurrent here; that you feel your work here is to bring us unbelievers into the fold. Why did you first show up at A2K? Why is your participation overwhelmingly in the area of religion? You have repeatedly said that your own faith is unshakeable, that you are not re-examining it, that you are in no danger of changing your mind; what is your goal in putting so much time and energy into these discussions, then?

[..] I post mainly in the S&R forum because I love to talk about God. I love to learn about God. I have learned a lot from those that are non-believers. Things about Christian history I had no clue about. So, I ask questions when I see something I don't understand. Sometimes I'm sure I sound pretty stupid because I didn't have a clue as to what a strawman was and half the time I am looking up words I've never seen before. But, is my intent to bring unbelievers into the fold? I am really ashamed to say this, but no. I know I should be trying to do that and yes, I'd be thrilled if someone did believe but I can't convert anyone. Also, I know it's against the TOS to try to induce anyone into believing and I've already been suspended for an infraction (it was not for prostelytizing) and I don't want to do that again.

Sozobe wrote:
I ask these questions not because I personally am offended in any way, but because this undercurrent is a big part of the reaction you garner here, and if you'd like to outright deny it, here is your chance.

I completely understand why there would be an undercurrent here. I have no problem accepting that at all. And like I said, I'd be thrilled if someone did "come to Jesus" because they read something I posted and wanted to know more, but, I can't convert anyone. I believe that with all my heart. That is something only God can do. I just want to learn more. I want to learn more about me, about you and others and God.

Lies or just schizo shifts between states of mind?

Sorry, Set. I can be a bit naive some times, I guess.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 09:00 pm
Nimh,

Why don't you check the dates? Setanta accused me of doing that back in December. I was not doing it. I did post something on that other site in January. I even told them that since I was being accused of it I might as well do it. So what?

Now, I don't mind you bringing in a single thing I have posted because I will stand by anything I have said. But, you have brought in posters from that other site I don't even know. That is not fair to them.

I have never asked anyone of any of you on A2K to accept my beliefs. I have never one time said you have to believe what I believe. I have been honest. I have been upfront. I said I posted that other stuff. I told you when I posted it. Now, if you want to call me schizo or whatever, fine. But, do me a favor, huh? Get the friggin facts straight first!

I was getting an understanding of posters here on A2K. Yes, I was. But, those posts I made did not mean I was talking about every single poster on A2K. I said I used a wide brush and shouldn't have.

Check the dates! If you have a question then ask me. I will be more than happy to explain why I did something and tell you why.

The only thing the truth can do is clear up a situation.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/02/2024 at 08:22:59