Indifference/ The Most Effective Response to Irrationality

dlowan

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 04:27 pm
Lash wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Indeed...I suspect the Unreddy (meaning the unwise) will try some more strange and hollow attempts to bully.....

All to defend one full of lies and hypocrisy writ large on a public website, and yet not admitted.

Oh tremble!

More of god's armies to rain down hell fire upon us!

They cannot even see it is not the silly proselytizing (which has been bootless) but the tricks and appeals to pity for feigned helplessness that sickens.

Odd to be unable, apparently, to see the simple reality of the offence.

It is a tarbaby, Nimh......

This isn't meant to be a stick at anyone, but reading back for pure entertainment Very Happy , I found this post, wherein the word "tarbaby" was used.

Just interesting re the Political Correctness discussion on another thread.

Yep, and when it was pointed out to me that the word has taken on a racist meaning in the US (which is a damn pity, because it is an EXTREMELY useful metaphor....Aesop and Uncle Remus being great sources for pithy metaphors which say more than almost anything can) I was quite distressed about having innocently used it, and said so.

I really see no reason to go about knowingly using terms which are distressing to people who have experienced a great deal of horror, and are naturally sensitive about words, even when they are extraordinarily descriptive. I am sure I can find some other way of saying it....perhaps "It's quicksand, Nimh!" would be a reasonable substitute, since I gather, albeit without direct experience, that quicksand engulfs you more the more you struggle with it, which is the point of the tatbaby metaphor.

But, it would be great if poor old tarbaby can be rehabilitated one day and be used again.

I haven't been any part of whatever other discussion is alluded to, but I do recall some great to do about some politician fella using it.

Shrugs.

I have no idea whether yanks "ought" to know the word is offensive or not. I gather some think they ought, and some don't.

I would consider it common courtesy not to use the word once one knows it is deeply offensive to many people.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 05:01 pm
Maybe it can be rehabilitated. I think, actually, that's what I'm trying to do. Reclaim something useful and nice that someone made smutty.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 05:40 pm
Hey, maybe you can refurbish coon, junglebunny aand spearchucker. If anyone can, you can Lashie.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 05:41 pm
Lash wrote:
Maybe it can be rehabilitated. I think, actually, that's what I'm trying to do. Reclaim something useful and nice that someone made smutty.

Really?

Well, you live and learn.

And all this time I thought you were just trying to distress Snood.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 05:43 pm
Oh my! I swear that Snood posted before I saw his post.

For what it's worth, Snood, beware quick sand.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 06:22 pm
Interesting theory. I've been railing against several forms of political correctness for a couple of years--which I think began before snood ever showed up--not sure--yet this whole thing--my entire view of PC--has been nothing more than an attempt to piss him off. Laughing

Yes. You've got me. I have to admit it.

In fact, the whole PC movement was a ploy to piss snood off.

We've been found out.
snood wrote:
Hey, maybe you can refurbish coon, junglebunny aand spearchucker. If anyone can, you can Lashie.

I do know people who go coon hunting. They refer to animals, though. I'm sure they're plotting against snood's sensibilities as well. Meanwhile, the raccoons are getting the worst of it.
I don't know any useful, non-insulting meanings for the other two slurs you mentioned.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:15 pm
dlowan wrote:

Not to worry, dlowan - I have my mudflaps on.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:22 pm
Lash wrote:
Interesting theory. I've been railing against several forms of political correctness for a couple of years--which I think began before snood ever showed up--not sure--yet this whole thing--my entire view of PC--has been nothing more than an attempt to piss him off. Laughing

Yes. You've got me. I have to admit it.

In fact, the whole PC movement was a ploy to piss snood off.

We've been found out.
snood wrote:

I do know people who go coon hunting. They refer to animals, though. I'm sure they're plotting against snood's sensibilities as well. Meanwhile, the raccoons are getting the worst of it.
I don't know any useful, non-insulting meanings for the other two slurs you mentioned.

<"Plotting against my sensibilities"? How you DO go on, Lash! >

But seriously, I think its so admirable how you are laboring to bring back to the forefront of common use a word with such literary utility as "tarbaby". Perhaps if you are sucessful at bringing about a renaissance for the much maligned 'tarbaby', you can resurrect others, equally as missed by those whose expressive instincts are dulled by the PC police!
"Shine", "boy"and "spook" could use your stalwart efforts, to name but a few!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:28 pm
Yes. I will have to demand all three of those.

Shine and boy are everyday words. Spook is not used nearly as often, I mostly use ghost or spirit. As a verb, I have used it to denote the scaring of a horse. I will not relinquish those words to you or anyone else.

You are incredibly presumptutous to suggest that they be taken out of use.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:33 pm
dlowan wrote:

But, it would be great if poor old tarbaby can be rehabilitated one day and be used again.

Meanwhile, just to prove that you aren't desperately seeking out an argument with me for the sake of unleashing your violent temper, I'm sure you'll want to tell dlowan what you think of using the word herself and then saying it would be great to rehabilitate the word.

Otherwise, well, you'd be shown as the hypocrite you are.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:43 pm
<smile slowly stretches across face>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 12:44 am
snood wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Do they work on quicksand?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 04:57 am
Lash wrote:
Yes. I will have to demand all three of those.

Shine and boy are everyday words. Spook is not used nearly as often, I mostly use ghost or spirit. As a verb, I have used it to denote the scaring of a horse. I will not relinquish those words to you or anyone else.

You are incredibly presumptutous to suggest that they be taken out of use.

Relinquish them? I'd consider it a brilliant coup on your part if you could somehow arrange for all your posts to contain terms and phrases with a racial double entendre.

Presumptuous is also a word that fits you well, and that you should use often.

I'm really glad you raised this important issue - it speaks so highly of you - shows everyone how deeply you care about important things.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 05:01 am
Lash wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Meanwhile, just to prove that you aren't desperately seeking out an argument with me for the sake of unleashing your violent temper, I'm sure you'll want to tell dlowan what you think of using the word herself and then saying it would be great to rehabilitate the word.

I have no idea what violence you're referring to dear, but that thing about someone getting shown to be a hypocrite does make a little sense.
You trying to appear the socially conscious crusader for freedom of language, for instance.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 05:09 am
A person can and should be able to read Joel Chandler Harris and not be offended by the terms in it. It was written long ago and bears no relevance to today's cultural divide. On the other hand, to insist on using such words publicly, today, while knowing the hurt it brings, is not to rehabilitate anything, but merely re-enforces the enmity between races. It is only political correctness to the unthinking. It is knowing what's right to the rest of us.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 05:18 am
And to any who insist on the use of the word tarbaby in whatever setting they find themselves, I'd encourage them to do so.

I agree that no one has the right to decide for all. But doesn't the side that's vehemently "anti-PC" also do that?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 05:51 am
dlowan wrote:
snood wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Do they work on quicksand?

Aw, darn. I was all touched by your concern, but now I'm thinking you're being snarky. Tell me it ain't so - the bushy-tailed optimist in me so needs to hear it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:10 am
Lash wrote:
dlowan wrote:

This is not going away.

Let's recap. She said: "But, it would be great if poor old tarbaby can be rehabilitated one day and be used again."

You made a rude comment to me for agreeing with her. I'm sure you want to show that you meant the sentiment and aren't just finding excuses to attack me personally.... Or this little exchange can stay here for future reference re your obsession with attacking me--and not saying a word when someone else does exactly the same thing.

If, as in the case of dlowan, people attacked her for using tarbaby, as was done to Romney, and she had no idea there was anything wrong with it--it is just wrong! There's no reason to look at Romney's or dlowan's use and try to make them feel bad about it.

When that happens, it bothers me.

Sorry to dlo, who is probably horrified that she features in my discussion, but she unintentionally provided the perfect example of an innocent use. Anyway, I'm not arguing the case--just sort of summarizing. I'm not trying to force minds to change in the least, I'm just happy some people at least looked at the issue from another view. That is a great success, IMO.

It is easy to see both meant sticky situation.

No one who is truthful would say either use had any type of racial connotation.

Yet, people became indignant purposefully. Those people are who I have a serious problem with. Their motives are to intentionally cause racial dissention--and use it as a political wedge for their own benefit.

It is much worse than saying tarbaby, IMO.

edgar-- I don't think it "brought hurt", I think that condemnation of that particular word, in this instance is nothing more than a conditioned, manipulative power play. But I understand and trust your motives and I respect them.

I also think it is a negative because it weakens the legitimate argument, when there actually IS a racially degrading remark that should be criticised.

I don't want you to think I'd insist on using it. I did want to reiterate, I'd never refer to a person as a tarbaby. That is not the meaning I have of the word. I just wish the people who take false offense would stop, and save their indignation for a real offense.

snood--

Do you really think the words shine and boy are viewed by anyone as racial putdowns whenever they're used? Spook does have more of a racial connotation--but only when it refers to a black person. Do you really think insult everytime you see these words?? I don't even know how shine CAN refer to a black person. It refers more to moonshine when it's reduced to slang.

This thread was a great opportunity to ask questions about a PC issue in the news, and I'm very pleased with the responses. It yielded a much better understanding for me about how other people think re PC and this particular word, it did definitely show strong regional or local influences that make a huge difference, and I think a lot of people may have come away from this conversation with a bit of an increased understanding of PC or at least other people's feelings re same.

Lovely success. Too bad you missed it.

I hope the next PC issue raised in the news refers to some other group of people. We may get through the whole thing without such emotional rants.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:44 am
When I was a child, we watched a Brer Rabbit slide show in class, with an accompanying record (when you hear the beep change the picture). Well, even then I knew the word tarbaby used in that context was fine, but could start some crap in other situations. I didn't have to be told it would be needless provocation. For the next 52 years I have been able to lead my life without once uttering the word, before writing it on a2k, and never felt deprived. There are thousands of perfectly good terms to express oneself without going out of the way to say things you know others don't need to hear.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:51 am
edgar--

Re Romney: Do you still think the public response was too shrill, for a person who didn't know of the racial connotation? And, his apology when he was informed was appropriate?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 12:00:38