Indifference/ The Most Effective Response to Irrationality

Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:05 pm
1 - I make not special pleadings

2- Where is the insult?

This is exactly what I am talking about.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:06 pm
To the best of my knowledge, for as long as I have been on a2k there have been many christians also posting on a2k. It has been, for the most part, a community of varriation from politics to pet care to what are you wearing as well as spirituality/religion. That is, until the past few weeks when a few members (mostly new members) seemed to take it on themselves to convert a2k into their personal forum for testifying. A2k began as a community for debate/discussion/information, I think the majority of us would like to see that purpose continue with all points of view incorporated.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:07 pm
I didn't say that you had insulted me in that post, and this is either stupidity or willfully ignoring the burden of what i wrote. If you now deny that you have ever attempted to insult me, you are lying.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:09 pm
I make it a point to insult SETI as often as possible.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:10 pm
I expect no less from a cowboy idjit of your stripe, Dys . . . you look goofy in that hat . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:13 pm
yitwail wrote:
Phoenix, do you consider religion itself irrational?

That is one fascinating question. I have started my answer three times, and have deleted my answer each time. If you are speaking about a belief in a God, yes, I do think that it is irrational. I do think though, that there are many people who are on the fence, and utilize religion for personal reasons.

For some people, it can be the spiritual feel of the intricate customs and ceremonies that can be very tension reducing. For others, it is the social rapport that one receives in any group with a common interest. Another may be the feeling that one is part of an old tradition. For many people, who have had a difficult time with the vagaries of life, may turn to religion
as a comforting way of putting in "God's hands", that with which he had difficulty dealing with on his own.

I really need to think about this a lot more. Right off the top of my head, I would say that any belief in the supernatural of any type is, by it's nature, and by definition, irrational.

I think that this would make a very interesting and thought provoking thread on its own.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:18 pm
it might make a good thread, but you might want to put it in Philosophy & Debate, perhaps. if you did, i would observe right away, if someone doesn't beat me to it, that there have been any number of apparently rational people who were apparently religious; Martin Luther King, Jr. and Mohandas K. Gandhi are two ready examples.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:23 pm
yitwail- I am thinking about posting this. I don't think that pointing to people to determine any correlation between religiosity and rationality would serve any purpose. Most people are rather mixed in their rationality.

What would be most valuable is if we stuck to concepts.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:25 pm
Setanta wrote:
I didn't say that you had insulted me in that post, and this is either stupidity or willfully ignoring the burden of what i wrote. If you now deny that you have ever attempted to insult me, you are lying.

It is true. In the past I have responded in kind. I am guilty of that. However, I have NEVER called you names on this forum. You cannot say the same. It is not necessary for ANY of us to respond in a disrespectful manner. You say that you do not call people stupid, but what they post. Is that the case in this post?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:33 pm
It certainly is--i said that what you had written was either stupidity or willful ignorance. That is not a contention that your are either stupid or ignorant--nor does it mean that i think you are not.

It is not my fault, and no concern of mine, that people cannot separate their beliefs and their statements from their person. If having their beliefs or statements criticized or ridiculed upsets them, i say: Boo hoo hoo.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:38 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
yitwail wrote:

forgive me for answering a question directed at someone else.

Yes of course its irrational. Moreover its time imo to fight FIRE WITH FIRE

(apologies for those who have seen my tag line before, but I wrote it and I dont think it inappropriate)

fight

fundamentalist irrational religious extremism

with

factual intelligible rational explanation.

here endeth the first lesson.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:57 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
yitwail wrote:

forgive me for answering a question directed at someone else.

Yes of course its irrational. Moreover its time imo to fight FIRE WITH FIRE

(apologies for those who have seen my tag line before, but I wrote it and I dont think it inappropriate)

fight

fundamentalist irrational religious extremism

with

factual intelligible rational explanation.

glad to have your input, and i'm all in favor of "factual intelligible rational explanation." that beats personal feuds anytime.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 02:03 pm
And I think thats exactly what Richard Dawkins was doing in his recent Channel 4 (uk tv) programme.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 02:08 pm
which may not be shown in the US

i'm slogging my way through the Ancestor's Tale, by the way
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 02:23 pm
I hope you all understand that I ask this with complete sincerity:

Does everything really deserve fire?

Want to teach my kid the creation story instead of biology?

That's fire.

Want to outlaw abortion because God gave the fetus life?

That's fire.

Want to post the 10 Commandments in the court house?

That's fire.

Want to pray for the troops?

So what!

I don't pray in any religious sense of the word but I "pray" that our soldiers return home safe and sane and whole. I "pray" that this war is over soon. I "pray" that we learn a good lesson from the mistakes that have been made.

Not everything is a fire.

But that's just my opinion.

Am I missing something here?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 02:34 pm
Indifference
Phoenix - I agree that religion is irrational, but I don't think that means religion is false. There are many obvious irrationalities in all the great religions, and believers in those religions simply accept them, if they can't come to some rational interpretation. These are the mysteries that form part of all religions.

And I agree that civility of discourse is of the greatest importance when discussing religion (and politics, too, BTW).

I am happy to debate beliefs and issues, but only on the basis of mutual respect. Debating issues isn't useless as Reyn feels it to be; one often learns a great deal by doing that.

I haven't been to any of the Spirituality and religion threads, and now I think maybe I won't bother. Nastiness shouldn't be part of any religion. There's enough nastiness in the world as it is, without looking for more.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 02:49 pm
Setanta wrote:
It certainly is--i said that what you had written was either stupidity or willful ignorance. That is not a contention that your are either stupid or ignorant--nor does it mean that i think you are not.

It is not my fault, and no concern of mine, that people cannot separate their beliefs and their statements from their person. If having their beliefs or statements criticized or ridiculed upsets them, i say: Boo hoo hoo.

Indifference/ The Most Effective Response to Irrationality

It seems that the title and reason for this thread are the only reasonable course of action for me to take. You will, obviously, continue with your immature responses..... I will, therefore, have to be the mature one and end it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 02:54 pm
no dont do it intrepid, life has so much more to offer.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:02 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
no dont do it intrepid, life has so much more to offer.

That gave me quite a laugh, Steve Laughing
Thanks for your concern.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:12 pm
Ah, but you won't end it Intrepid, that's the problem. You'll eventually respond.

somewhere, sometime, you'll be back and forthing again...

and so it goes...

someones got to be big enough to stop first.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 12:21:04