Indifference/ The Most Effective Response to Irrationality

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:24 am
There has been a lot of talk lately about the change in "climate" in the S&R Forum. People have taking sides, and Apparently A2K is taking on an "us and them" character.

I must admit that I have been guilty of being caught up in discussions that I do not consider even worth discussing. I have no need of defending my beliefs, especially with those who believe that emotional pleadings are a viable substitute for well thought out, considered, arguments.

So why is this happening, and to an extent where people are concerned about the future of A2K? I believe that A2K is a microcosm of the world, and the United States in particular. I think that people, concerned and disgusted as to what is going on in the US vis a vis politics and religion, are creating a backlash that has been focused on individual members of A2K.

It is easier to argue with a few people on an internet forum, than to have to deal with the larger picture that is happening in the US at large. It is direct, and one can vent one's spleen with the click clack of a keyboard, and the touch of a mouse.

I have come to the realization, that when you acknowledge and argue irrationality, with people who refuse to conduct their lives through reason, you are giving irrationality power. It is one thing to argue with people with open minds, who may have differing opinions, and quite another, to argue with those who base their lives on irrationality.

If people who think discuss varying opinions on a subject, one might very well come away with a greater understand of an idea, and may even modify one's own views, based on new learning. It is quite another to discuss, as equals, with those who have, as a philosophy of life, implicit or explicit, forgone reason, for illogic.

So, I am of the opinion that the best counter to irrationality is indifference. I will not waste my time arguing with people who do not care to think.........................who parrot predigested ideas, as if they were absolute truth. I am through with it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 27,202 • Replies: 689
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:25 am
Dog bless you, Misguided Sister . . .

May He hump you leg with Holy Fervor . . .

Ahem . . .
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:28 am
Well said, Phoenix. I agree completely.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:05 am
Precisely why I stay away from S&R, Phoenix.

It bores me to tears.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:05 am
Re: Indifference/ The Most Effective Response to Irrationali
Phoenix32890 wrote:
So, I am of the opinion that the best counter to irrationality is indifference. I will not waste my time arguing with people who do not care to think.........................who parrot predigested ideas, as if they were absolute truth. I am through with it.

This is the main reason my posts per day have dropped significantly during my short time here. At first getting involved and standing up for my beliefs or just simply arguing was fun and engaging... now I just find it monotonous and a waste of time. Same old arguments. Same old participants. Same old information.

Sadly, my posts, for the most part, have been reduced to talking about sports, music, occasional Relationship advice and other insignificant drivel.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:11 am
People are concerned about the future of A2K?

What you describe is pretty much how the Politics forum has been for years ...

but you got the right take on it, thats for sure!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:15 am
Well, in mediation, one of the basic rules is 'separate people from the problem' - it would help a lot if we all focused on what's discussed then on who said it and refrained from insults no matter how ridiculous the posts we disagree with are. because name-calling has become the usus in S&R and that ain't the way to get anywhere
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
Fer sure.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:23 am
I came to the conclusion that arguement is futile and no longer cast my fuel into the fires. It's like running on a hamster wheel. Some people (who shall remain nameless) seem to enjoy the never ending run around that goes nowhere. I don't think it's a threat to the forum. As stated, the world has always been a case of Us vs. Them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:35 am
nimh wrote:
People are concerned about the future of A2K?

but you got the right take on it, thats for sure!

If you surf around, nimh, you will see a number of posts that have alluded to the idea that there is the perception that A2K is "going down the tubes". I think that former Abuzzers may well be overreacting, (possibly a variant of PTSD over the protracted moribund state of Abuzz, and its subsequent demise. Sad )

I think that part of the problem, is that many of us have bought in to the emotional ramblings of a few, which apparently has snowballed. Obviously, the more that we respond, the more counter responses there will be.

Ergo, the rationale for the thesis of this thread. No responses, and hopefully the entire thing will fall by the wayside for lack of interest.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:38 am
nimh wrote:

Precisely why I stay away from there, too.

At least I try. It's not quite as boring to me as S&R, though, thanks to the fact that politicians are continually finding new ways to embarrass themselves.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:41 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
This is the main reason my posts per day have dropped significantly during my short time here. At first getting involved and standing up for my beliefs or just simply arguing was fun and engaging... now I just find it monotonous and a waste of time. Same old arguments. Same old participants. Same old information.

Sadly, my posts, for the most part, have been reduced to talking about sports, music, occasional Relationship advice and other insignificant drivel.

Don't discount the value of insignificant drivel, jp! Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:41 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
If you surf around, nimh, you will see a number of posts that have alluded to the idea that there is the perception that A2K is "going down the tubes". I think that former Abuzzers may well be overreacting, (possibly a variant of PTSD over the protracted moribund state of Abuzz, and its subsequent demise. Sad )

I hadnt even noticed, and I post something like 10 times a day, so the fear's probly a bit overblown ... but then I hardly ever frequent Spirituality & Religion. Disgusted enough with Politics as it is.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
I think that part of the problem, is that many of us have bought in to the emotional ramblings of a few, which apparently has snowballed. Obviously, the more that we respond, the more counter responses there will be.

Well, thats ... I was gonna say "bloody true allright". Very true, indeed, probably sounds better. Lessons to be learnt ...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:46 am
must be also visible differently according to the way you surf a2k. i mostly use 'new posts' and it's been truly infested with s&r threads that at least are on par with the politics forum nastiness in the past few weeks, and especially days.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:52 am
I think that there is a qualitative difference in the emotional impact between a politics and a religion thread. Politics are about beliefs, but those beliefs, unless you are a diehard, have only a moderate effect in term's of a person's ego, and his perceptions about himself. Religion goes right to the core of a person's being, and I would suspect that attacks on basic core beliefs would tend to have a much more personal effect.

Now, add to the mix a country whose politicians are caught up in a religio-political "war", and you have the makings of a very divisive and inflammatory subject.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:53 am
Eva wrote:
Precisely why I stay away from S&R, Phoenix.

It bores me to tears.

What Eva said. That goes for Politics as well.

I think rarely any kind of debate will change someone's mind about the way participants feel about these subjects.

Can you say entrenched?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:55 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
insignificant drivel.

.....is what makes the world turn.

It's called, "The Daily Routine of Life".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:56 am
Reyn- I usually stay away from political threads, because I don't believe that I am as well versed in the various political scenarios than I would like to be.

I do think though, that in the political threads, unless you are a knee-jerk, one party or another person, there is lots of room for varying opinions amongst different people.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 11:04 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I think that there is a qualitative difference in the emotional impact between a politics and a religion thread. Politics are about beliefs, but those beliefs, unless you are a diehard, have only a moderate effect in term's of a person's ego, and his perceptions about himself. Religion goes right to the core of a person's being, and I would suspect that attacks on basic core beliefs would tend to have a much more personal effect.

This is the crucial point--the religiously fanatical always, and i mean always, assert that an attack on their beliefs constitutes a personal attack because they cannot separate their belief set from their self-image--which seems to suggest that they have nothing else going for them. But that's an absurdity at a site like this. Everything here is fair game, and what is truly ironic is that Frank was much harder on the religious than the current crew, yet the level of whining from them has gone up dramatically, even though Frank isn't there heaping scorn on them. This constitutes special pleading on their part, and i for one am motivated to go after them even more because of it. Our country is already infected with religious loonies who think they deserve a free ride with their nonsense, and think they have a political right to shove their imaginary friend superstition down the throats of others. I am reminded of the right wing argument about welfare and how they allege that people think getting a hand-out is a right; there are plenty of religious fanatics around who think they deserve respect for their beliefs just because they are religious, and that they have a right to shove their beliefs down the throats of others. That completely ignores the fact that we live in a secular, pluralistic republic. I refuse to accept the special pleading, and refuse to desist from pointing out the idiocy of their positions, and the hypocricy they display in the midst of their whining when they lash out with personal attacks.

Quote:
Now, add to the mix a country whose politicians are caught up in a religio-political "war", and you have the makings of a very divisive and inflammatory subject.

We have plenty of political nuts here who are just as fanatically strident as the religious, and the left is as bad as the right. This issue, however, just adds fuel to the fire, because so many of the one's on the right cannot separate their religious and politcal views, just as many on the left cannot separate their political views from their rejection of religion.

At all events, your advice is probably best. I doubt that i'll follow it, though, because of the contempt the idiocy engenders in me. So, when i'm feeling silly, which is most of the time, i mock them, and greatly enjoy it.

Dog bless you, Green-obsessed Sister . . .

Ahem . . .
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 11:06 am
Phoenix, I came to the same conclusion this morning, when I first logged on and scrolled down the "at a glance" column. I think that if every non believer just stayed out of there, no matter how tempting, then the majority of those threads will end up as a sneeze fest, with lots of bleesings flying backwards and forwards, and nobody to get mad at, or argue with.

Even THEY would get bored in the end, methinks.

I shall confine my activities to those threads that involve the female anatomy for a while. It will be hard, but I think, with a little bit of effort, I can do it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Indifference/ The Most Effective Response to Irrationality
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 07:19:15