New Prayer Re: War And Our Troops

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:55 am
I have a brother there. His name is Kenneth Bigley. I hope he's doing ok.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:59 am
I have a cousin in Iraq. It makes it a little more real for you.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 11:36 am
Two nephews, several friends in both Iraq and Afghanistan.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:04 pm
Brandon, the topic is getting one's head sawn off while one screams--and your obsession with the image.

Your latest post has absolutely nothing to do with that. This is, of course, what passes for logic at your house.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:35 pm
Setanta wrote:
Brandon, the topic is getting one's head sawn off while one screams--and your obsession with the image.

Your latest post has absolutely nothing to do with that. This is, of course, what passes for logic at your house.

You said that the insurgents only did it a few times and then largely abandoned the practice. That is false. Here is something more specific:

Quote:
June 29, 2005 1:20 AM

Family appeals for body of slain UK Iraq hostage

LONDON (Reuters) - The family of a Briton, taken hostage and beheaded by insurgents in Iraq, have revealed they received two videos from the militants during his captivity and appealed for the return of his body for a formal burial.

The two private videos of 62-year-old Ken Bigley were relayed to his family through an intermediary in Baghdad during the three weeks he was held hostage last year by kidnappers led by Iraq's al Qaeda leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

"We received some private videos that were channelled through the embassy in Baghdad and through the Foreign Office and to ourselves," his brother Phil said in comments to BBC's Panorama program released on Wednesday.

The first video showed Bigley looking relaxed and clean shaven, vastly different to the "terror videos" released by the militants to TV networks which showed him wearing an orange jumpsuit, chained and squatting in a cage.

However the second video showed the construction engineer looking terrified and pleading for his life.

"It switched everything round and it brought us full circle again," Phil Bigley said. "This was more of a definite horror and a reality that there's no way out of this, there's absolutely no way out."

"And the Foreign Office asked if we'd want to respond to that and I can recall that we sat and decided what more can we say? How many times can you beg?"

On the program, the first time they have spoken about their ordeal, they said they just wanted Bigley's body back.

"The sad part is, we haven't had a burial," his mother Lil said. "We can't find his body. And that would really put an end to the sad story."

Source

As for my "obsession" with it, I haven't brought the subject up myself in a long time. My "obsession" with it consists of responding when you say something to me about it, which is frequently. You seem to be the one obsessed with it. Moreover, your attempt to use something so tragic for humor is in poor taste.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:11 pm
As we have repeated stipulated that your obsessions are the source of our humor, it appears that you describe yourself as "something so tragic."

For once, i agree with you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 07:19 pm
Re: New Prayer Re: War And Our Troops
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Dear Lord (Whoever you perceive Him/Her to be)

Please bring an abrupt end to all war activities that cause the death of our troops or anyone elses and the killing of civilians particulary children and instead send bush, Cheney, all war waging politicians and leaders from all over the world, armed to the teeth, to an island where they may brutalize, kill, hack to bits and generally eliminate themselves to their hearts content.

Amen.

P.S. May I have all my hair back?

Well said! (well, minus the hair part, maybe)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:56 pm
Setanta wrote:
As we have repeated stipulated that your obsessions are the source of our humor, it appears that you describe yourself as "something so tragic."

For once, i agree with you.

1. You were wrong when you said that they just did it a few times and stopped, as the quotation in my previous post shows.
2. I haven't brought it up in a long time. It's you who bring it up and I simply answer. This hardly qualifies as obsession. It would be more accurate to say that you are indifferent to it than to say that I am obsessed with it.
3. As you well know, I am saying that it is in poor taste to base a joke on someone else's tragedy - the actual murders.
0 Replies