The bygone days of S&R

JPB

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 03:53 pm
There are a number of threads that are discussing the 'current climate' on S&R. As a fairly new poster to this forum, drawn in I admit by the desire to offer opinions on a few of the more passionate topics, I'm curious about 'before'.

I understand the comments about the way things are 'now' and I've seen a few references to the days of yore but I really don't have a feel for what is was in comparison to what it is?

I wasn't around to read many of Frank's posts. I'm guessing they were passionate, but were they different than what we have now? Are there other passionate posters who were here before and how was it different?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,864 • Replies: 35
No top replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 03:58 pm
Where the heck did Frank go anyways?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 04:31 pm
Frank Apisa last spotted.....

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1774144&highlight=#1774144
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:06 pm
Frank told me in an email he would possibly return one day. He said it just wasn't worth it right now.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:09 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Frank told me in an email he would possibly return one day. He said it just wasn't worth it right now.
Sorry to hear that, he is missed...let him know that if you get the opportunity.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:10 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Frank told me in an email he would possibly return one day.

Hey, that sounds familiar...

Shocked

<runnnning------>!>
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:23 pm
Frank is passionate, but lacks the acuity of Setanta, timber, Dok, farmer, Brandon and many other non believers. Still, I miss his classic rants.

Some may wish the believers were more articulate; but there are a few who hold the pen well. Not to mention the fact that many non theists are sadly lacking in rhetorical skills.

Perhaps we should all be willing to take it upon ourselves to help each other, teaching logical development instead of hurling esoteric effluent at the educationally challenged
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:54 pm
There is the matter of tiring to consider. There are only so many times most people want to repeat themselves. People on all facets of all sides can find their interest in explaining their views wear down with repetition. Very few posters ever review past thread history. People who have labored to explicate their views as thoughtfully as they can see them become history fast, and new posters ask the same sort of thing in multiples. Frank, for example, has been a stalwart trouper for his views for years. He does have an actual life besides all this .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:01 pm
Hey, the CHS gang finally found a new home. Maybe they graduated.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:08 pm
Perhaps we should first teach the search feature.

But there are always new folks who come to the forum expecting to find experts.

I learned a lot here. I'd like to give something back.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:16 pm
neologist wrote:
Frank is passionate, but lacks the acuity of Setanta, timber, Dok, farmer, Brandon and many other non believers. Still, I miss his classic rants.

Some may wish the believers were more articulate; but there are a few who hold the pen well. Not to mention the fact that many non theists are sadly lacking in rhetorical skills.

Perhaps we should all be willing to take it upon ourselves to help each other, teaching logical development instead of hurling esoteric effluent at the educationally challenged

Interesting neo, is it a lack of development in logical debate that is different? Does a discussion of S&R depend on logic?

Osso, I hear you about repetitions, but that is the bain of most forums.

There are a number of topics that I would like to see developed, but they seem to pop up and hit page 2 within the hour.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:21 pm
Laughing based on the other topics of interest at the moment, I see my timing is impeccable Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:50 pm
Well, some threads catches fire and some doesn't. You could do as I do, and keep putting them out there, until some catch on.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:46 am
J_B wrote:
neologist wrote:

Interesting neo, is it a lack of development in logical debate that is different? Does a discussion of S&R depend on logic?

Osso, I hear you about repetitions, but that is the bain of most forums.

There are a number of topics that I would like to see developed, but they seem to pop up and hit page 2 within the hour.
It's hard to say. Some serious topics have staying power, such as the evolution discussion. But, mostly it seems to be the emotional outbursts that get attention while topics requiring thought die off.

Don't you think?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:47 am
Does that mean that emotion wins out over logic?
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 02:13 am
Here, in the S& R forum, except for a few threads on Tao and the like...everyone is having an atheist vs theist battle Sad....
Nothing else is ever discussed.....
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 08:53 am
Quote:
Hey, the CHS gang finally found a new home. Maybe they graduated.

No, things just settled down around here; but we only have about five months before graduation.

Quote:

I totally agree Neo....this is probably why the human race has so many problems; we would rather argue than discuss.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:01 am
My 2 cents is that the current National political climate surrounding theism has frustrated the atheist camp, feeling a little of a minority on a national level and recently feeling that creep in on A2K the atheist Island does not seem as much an island as it may have a few months ago, and very possibly a few organized uprisings became the recent uproar.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:04 am
Intrepid wrote:
Does that mean that emotion wins out over logic?

or maybe rhetoric trumps dialectic.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:04 am
Husker, you've been around for years. I'm not sure if you've been on the R&S forum for years, but perhaps you've been reading along. What's different? Are you saying that only recently have there been any professed Christians on S&R?

I'm trying to get an understanding if the contentions are new or if it's simply the personalities that are new.
0 Replies