Pity the Poor Understudy

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:08 am
Hi Shekarpanir. That was an interesting discussion about amplification, wasn't it?

I've been thinking about bree's comment:
"I'm also glad the actor who refused to be miked wasn't appearing in a musical."

And that led me to thinking about understudies.

"Steve Martin once explained why he once felt compelled to show up for a performance despite a killer flu: "If people pay to see Bozo the Clown and he's not there, they're furious. It doesn't matter that they get Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Barbra Streisand to fill in. People would still say, 'Damn it! We paid to see Bozo!'"

And I remembered the two understudies (Shirley Jones (Oklahoma) and Shirley Maclaine (Pajama Game) I saw take over when the leads couldn't perform in Pittsburgh and who immediately became stars. (I know - I've told that story many times here, but.....) and I became curious as to how many understudies really made it big. I didn't have any luck googling on that subject, however, I did come across this article which I thought was interesting:

"The arts column: understudies step into the limelight at last
(Filed: 31/12/2003)
(Filed: 31/12/2003)

Rupert Christiansen on why things are looking up for the unsung heroes of the stage

Pity the poor understudy, waiting in vain for flu or a manhole to floor Sir Rufus or Dame Ethel and let someone else prove that they could do the big speech so much better. It's always been a frustrating, humiliating job, eight parts boredom to two parts fantasising, and the pay is scarcely enough for the bus fare home.

Frequent absentee: Martine McCutcheon

But someone has to do the dirty work, and at last this Cinderella of the theatrical profession has found her Fairy Godmother. The RSC's new director, Michael Boyd, has waved his magic wand and decreed that she shall go the ball - every understudy at Stratford is now contractually guaranteed at least one full public performance per production.
As a morale booster, this seems to me both humane and practical, and it is also evidence of a new trend that brings the understudy out of the dressing room and into the spotlight.
The old school of understudy is exemplified by the record-breaking Nancy Seabrooke, who, between 1979 and 1994, attended the theatre ready to perform the role of Mrs Boyle in The Mousetrap 6,240 times. She went on 72 times, or about once every three months, which is actually pretty good going. By theatrical tradition, she could leave the building only after her character had made her final entrance: the rest of the time - about 16,000 hours - she spent on her petit-point.
This is in many respects an expensive, wasteful system. The tendency nowadays is for small-cast productions to have no understudies at all: if someone goes off, the show is simply cancelled. Larger-scale productions - musicals and Shakespeare, for example - use the bit-part players or chorus members and juggle the cast tactically. (If Fourth Citizen is suddenly promoted to Coriolanus, then Second Citizen can double up as Fourth.)
Another strategy is the substitution of an unrehearsed actor who walks through the role, reciting off a copy of the script. I once saw an extraordinary performance of Othello, in which Sylvestra le Touzel "read" Desdemona for Imogen Stubbs and made the character's absorption in a paperback a dimension of her innocence of her husband's state of mind.
Even more bizarre was the round of theatrical chairs in an all-female Taming of the Shrew at Bankside Globe I saw in September. Amanda Harris had already stepped into the role of Hortensio, when Kathryn Hunter, playing Katherine, collapsed in the middle of the scene. Harris, who had played Katherine at Stratford, took over brilliantly, leaving someone else to take over Hortensio, and someone else to take over from her. The result was one of the most electrifying pieces of on-the-edge farce I have ever witnessed.
Musicals, where the accident and illness rate is high, nowadays take elaborate precautions. Anything Goes, for instance, has two sets of alternative casts, entirely drawn from the company. Lessons were learnt from the fiasco of My Fair Lady, where Martine McCutcheon's understudy Alexandra Jay, and her understudy Kerry Ellis, ended up doing more Elizas than she did. A far cry from the great Mary Martin, who in the 1950s washed that man right out of her hair more than 2,000 times in South Pacific and never missed a single shampoo - without benefit of miking.

Today's musical stars rarely contract to do eight shows a week, and it's increasingly common for the understudy to be scheduled to take over a matinee or a Tuesday evening - an erosion, old lags grumble, of the iron show-must-go-on discipline that has traditionally been the profession's cardinal virtue. Whatever became of the magic of Doctor Theatre, whereby an actor would struggle on with a temperature of 104, give a gay performance and then collapse in a heap after curtain-fall? Anything rather than let the bloody understudy go on.
There are two other mythologies surrounding the understudy. One is the last-minute drama, of which many tales are told. For example, in a recent performance of Cymbeline at Stratford, James Staddon stunned himself by walking into a door, and, on the lightning orders of the stage manager, his understudy Oliver Maltman was on stage delivering Jupiter's peroration within 20 seconds.
Alan Bennett once took over in The Lady in the Van when Nicholas Farrell's wife suddenly went into labour. What made this piquant was that Bennett had written the play himself, and Farrell's role was that of The Author.
The other is the All About Eve thing: the understudy (in the movie, Anne Baxter) who takes over and trumps the star (Bette Davis). Actually, it doesn't often happen, because the taking-over is usually so hurried that there's no time to invite agents, critics and opinion-formers to see the show - which is one reason why the RSC's scheduled understudy performance, properly publicised and inexpensively priced, is such an excellent idea."

And was just wondering if you'd rather see a show cancelled or see an understudy take over when you've paid big bucks to see a particular performer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,505 • Replies: 16
No top replies

bree

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:55 am
Raggedyaggie wrote:
I became curious as to how many understudies really made it big.

In 1974, Kiri Te Kanawa made her Metropolitan Opera debut (as Desdesmona in Otello) as a last-minute replacement for Teresa Stratas. Te Kanawa had already sung at Covent Garden, so she didn't exactly come out of nowhere, but I remember friends of mine who saw the performance raving about the up-and-coming new singer they had heard.

My most disappointing performer cancellations were when Blythe Danner cancelled in Pinter's "Betrayal" and Audra McDonald cancelled in "Master Class". In both cases, the understudies gave perfectly fine performances, but the thought of not having seen Danner and McDonald is still painful.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:49 am
Two years ago, a group of us were planning a trip to NYC to see "Raisin in the Sun" on Broadway. It was directed by the former artistic director of the theatre I worked for here and starring, of all people, Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/Sean Combs. Our little group had a date selected and everything but something went haywire and we ended up not going. And a good thing too. Puffy missed only one performance during the show's run and it was the one that we were planning to attend. I can't imagine how sick we would have been if we'd traveled to New York to see this show and the understudy ended up performing. The crazy thing was, we weren't going so much to see him in the lead, that was just an extra kick for us but the show became a 'must-see' because of him and, altho' there was the remarkable Phylicia Rashad, Audra McDonald and Sanaa Lathan in the cast, it was the stage debut of P. Diddy that drove the show, even to jaded old theatre-snobs (like myself). Smile
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:58 am
Oh, that would have been a great disappointment, bree. And I wonder - did those understudies ever go on to anything else of note?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:05 am
Hi EOE. That would have been a major catastrophe.

(Joe Morton does a pretty good job on the original B'Way cast album of "Raisin". )
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:07 am
Joe Morton sings?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:15 am
He sure does. Very Happy

I've got the original B'Way cast CD. The leads are Virginia Capers, Joe Morton and Ernestine Jackson with Ralph Carter, and featuring Robert Jackson and Deborah Allen.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:17 pm
I didn't know Joe Morton sang either. Very cool. He's a talented guy.

I've seen a lot of understudies go on at the last minute. Once upon a time, I was working community theater as the 2nd assistant stage manager on Oklahoma. I was being trained to start calling the cues as the 1st assistant was going out of town and I was nervous as hell. As it turned out, the girl playing Laurie lost her voice and an even younger girl named Mary Sue, who was in the chorus and had been assigned to understudy, was to go on that same night. She had barely rehearsed the songs, had never actually watched some of the scenes, but was conscientious enough to have learned the lines at least. Well, sort of. She and I rehearsed all the Laurie scenes that afternoon. At least it kept my mind off having to call the show.

Mary Sue was spectacular. She is one of the best sopranos that I've ever heard in person. She was 18 that summer - and so was I. We never knew where she'd be on the stage or where she might exit at the end of the scene. Other actors sort of led her around onstage, and the dressers led her around backstage. But it didn't matter a bit. She was a success. (Of course, I got the stage manager bug that summer and kept with it for another 23 years or so. I guess I did ok too.)
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 01:04 pm
Great story, mac!

Raggedyaggie wrote:
I wonder - did those understudies ever go on to anything else of note?

Well, let's see: the understudy for Blythe Danner in "Betrayal" was Caroline Lagerfelt. She later replaced Glenn Close in the Broadway production of Tom Stoppard's "The Real Thing" when Close left the cast. Her most recent Broadway credit listed on ibdb was in 1992, but according to imdb, she's been in several movies since then.

The replacement for Audra McDonald in "Master Class" was a woman named Helen Goldsby. A couple of years later, she appeared in a production of "St. Louis Woman" in the Encores series at City Center (Vanessa Williams played the lead in that production). I haven't been able to find any other credits for her.

I'm sorry I missed that "Raisin in the Sun" that Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/Sean Combs was in. He was a presenter at the Tony awards ceremony that year, and, before he presented whatever award he was there to present, he told a story about how Ruby Dee -- who of course was in the original production of "A Raisin in the Sun" -- came backstage to see him in his dressing room after a performance, and impressed upon what a big responsibility it was for him to play the role he was playing, and how important it was for him to take that responsibility seriously. Cut to Ruby Dee in the audience, nodding her head.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 01:37 pm
We know Mac's a success, however the understudies that bree saw don't sound too promising - a little iffy.

As for Mary Sue. Whatever happened to Mary Sue? I guess she married Curly and settled down. She should have come to Pittsburgh where the stars are born. Very Happy
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 02:33 pm
No, she didn't marry Curly. But she did marry another guy we met in college and, last I heard, they had several kids and she was happy raising their family.

Curly is a whole other story...

My next understudy story:

I was working at a regional theater that imported a production of As You Like It from off-Broadway. Our college interns were assigned as understudies, though no one had any intention of putting them into a performance. One of the actresses - playing Celia - got in a particularly silly accident (that's a story for another day) and our intern went on. She was very good - better than anyone could have expected her to be. I think the original actress healed much faster than she might have just to get the understudy off the stage.

Hmm, I wonder if I have any understudy stories that didn't turn out so well... I seem to have blocked them all out.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 03:11 pm
eoe wrote:
Joe Morton sings?

Funny. I worte this about Joe Morton some time ago

Scatting

Sometimes, we know more than we know...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 03:25 pm
I went to a concert in 1969 to see William Steinberg and the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Mid-concert, Steinberg became ill, and I had the pleasure of seeing the debut of his understudy...................Michael Tilson Thomas.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 07:39 am
Wow. That's an understudy performance you'll never forget, Phoenix. Thank you for letting us know.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:23 pm
Pity the poor understudy, indeed: this article from today's New York Times, about understudies playing three of the four roles in this Tuesday's performance of "Doubt", doesn't even mention the names of the understudies:

Achoo! The incoming members of the cast of the hit Broadway play "Doubt" had a rocky start to their planned first performance on Tuesday night when all three were knocked out of commission by the flu, according to Chris Boneau, a spokesman for the Pulitzer Prize-winning drama by John Patrick Shanley at the Walter Kerr Theater. Understudies went on for the three newcomers, and by yesterday's matinee, Mr. Eldard and Ms. Malone were able to make their debuts, albeit with tissues waiting in the wings. Ms. Atkins, however, was not expected to appear until tonight's performance. There was no word on how Adriane Lenox, the sole holdover from the show's original cast, was feeling, but hopes are that her new cast isn't contagious.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:05 pm
Completely off topic, but I went to college with Chris Boneau (the spokesman in your article). He's become quite the bigwig in NYC.

It is a shame that the understudies couldn't even get their names in the Times.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 06:39 am
Excerpt from: Maev Kennedy, arts and heritage correspondent
Friday January 30, 2004
The Guardian

Some of the most famous actors began their careers as RSC (Royal Shakespeare Company)understudies, including Ralph Fiennes, Toby Stephens - about to star in Mr Boyd's new production of Hamlet - and Emily Watson.

Emily Watson -IMDb excerpt:

"After a self-described "sheltered" upbringing, Watson attended university for three years in Bristol, studying English literature. She applied to drama school and was rejected on her first attempt. After three years of working in clerical and waitressing jobs she was finally accepted. In 1992, she took a position with the Royal Shakespeare Company where she met her future husband, Jack Waters. Continuing stage work, Watson landed her first screen role as Bess McNeill in Breaking the Waves (1996) after Helena Bonham Carter pulled out of the role. For this initial foray into movies Watson was nominated for an Academy Award. "
0 Replies