Myths and legends impressionsism

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 05:00 am
Which is the best impressionist artist to paint pictures of myths and legends?

Not rennaisance or pre-raphelite stuff, i was thinking prehaps Edward Munch.

anybody else?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,098 • Replies: 18
No top replies

material girl

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 05:19 am
I didnt know munch painted myths and legends.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:54 am
well he painted the scream, the madonna, and some mythical stuff. so yeah.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:08 am
How are the Scream and the Madonna mythical?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:26 pm
...or Impressionist?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:30 pm
Its almost a contradiction. Impressionism was concerned with painting "the next moment in time" and was concerned with doing it with economy.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 02:44 am
What about redon's cyclops then?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 02:54 am
What farmerman already said. Supernatural or religious connotations weren't thaught by impressionist painters to be necessary in their art at all.

Much's style in some of his paintings could be called "impressionist style verging on pointillism", though he only pointed really very few like that.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:12 am
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
What about redon's cyclops then?

Thats horrid.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:30 am
Ok well google image search redon, and tell me that they arent meant to be mythical.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:07 am
Some are.
Was he deeply disturbed as a child?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:52 am
I think, Redon belongs to symbolism but not to impressionism?

Quote:
Symbolism - An art movement which rejected the purely visual realism of the Impressionists, and the rationality of the Industrial Age, in order to depict the symbols of ideas.
The work of one group, including PiƩrre Puvis de Chavannes (French, 1824-1898), Gustave Moreau (French, 1826-1898), and Odilon Redon (French, 1840-1916), took a literary approach, ...
ArtLex
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 07:39 am
His style is Impressionist.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 01:51 pm
Redon and Munch weren't Impressionists

The impressionists painted landscapes and people in contemporary settings, they were reacting against the mythological content of older art

Redon's style may be loose and colourful but it is fantasy and not based on a moment in time or observation of actual events as Impressionism is, so not impressionist at all I'm afraid. Walter explains his art in the link above.

Munch abstracts figures in paintings like the Scream and it's Expressionist.

2 totally different art movements with different ideas behind them and different ways of painting.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 01:59 pm
Thats a fact Jack!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 02:04 pm
The Scream isn't mythical - it is the landscape that is screaming by the way and the figure is frozen in horror.

Munch painted a nude portrait of a young girl who looks about 11 or 12, that hangs in Edinburgh Museum of Modern Art, that made me deeply uncomfortable, The girl looks uncomfortable, even distressed, sitting naked on a bed - it felt strongly as though it had been painted by a paedophile. I'd never liked Munch's work much but that was the nail in the coffin. Purely a personal reaction that, not art history
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:03 pm
Are you referring to 'Puberty' (Age of uncertainty) .... but that is in Oslo, in the National Gallery.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:26 pm
It is one in their collection but I don't know the title - I tried to google for it but it doesn't appear to be online Crying or Very sad your title doesn't ring a bell, so I think it is definitely a different painting,

Is that one disturbing in the same way?

I couldn't bear to stay looking at it, it really made me uncomfortable, the paedophile vibes were strong.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:32 pm
Vivien wrote:

Is that one disturbing in the same way?

At least it's the same theme you described - a quite famous painting, btw (and not only, because Munch was my artist for the final exams in ar at school :wink: ).

No, I don't think it has anything paedophile in it, just shows a shy girl of 11, 12 in her uncertainness of becoming mature.
0 Replies