Pray for the Iraqi People

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 12:09 pm
Lord we are coming to you again today asking for comfort, peace, and guidance for the Iraqi people. Comfort them in the time of their troubles, Lord. Help them to find the peace they need. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

I trust you had a good night's sleep, Setanta?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 02:19 pm
For the Iraqi people and all people everywhere I pray for for those in power to gain wisdom. Amen
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 02:25 pm
Instead of a prayer I offer this outstanding blog of a Baghdadian. Most probably know it already, as it met with immense interest and is among the most popular blogs worldwide, but still. You can email Riverbend your well wishes and prayers personally instead of posting them here where no Iraqis will see them.
http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 02:35 pm
I would feel intimated, but thanks for the link.

But anyway, mine just kinda goes for the world in general which would include the Iraqis.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 04:15 pm
Dag: Do you believe that in order to be effective, these prayers must be read by Iraqis?

If so, do you similarly think that if that same prayer was made by someone alone in a room, that the prayer is not effective because it isn't being heard by Iraqis, and the Iraqis don't know it was made?

Or are you just saying you don't believe in prayer?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 05:29 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Dag: Do you believe that in order to be effective, these prayers must be read by Iraqis?

If so, do you similarly think that if that same prayer was made by someone alone in a room, that the prayer is not effective because it isn't being heard by Iraqis, and the Iraqis don't know it was made?

Are innocent Iraqis, fearful of attack by either side (or both) really going to be helped by a prayer in the name of Jesus on a web site?

Can we all get a grip here for a moment?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 05:33 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

i thought it was prayer AND encouragement. yes, i am a non-believer, thus encouragement alone if no iraqis are reading it does seem pretty limited in effect to me. as for prayer, i am not stopping anyone.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 05:36 pm
and no, it had nothing to do with my relationship to prayer. it was about an interesting blog posted by an iraqi citizen. i believed this would be a good place to post, as people that post here seem to be interested in their life. or are they not, is it just for show?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 05:52 pm
Thank you for that link dagamarka. There are some that believe in prayer and some that don't. I do. I surely see no harm in it.

Throughout my life I have found prayer to be comforting, calming, and healing, whether it be just by taking the time to do it, meditate on it, or it being answered.

Prayer is a big part of my life as that is how I talk to God. To me, it's the best thing I can do for anyone, to ask God for something for them.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 06:34 pm
I didn't say anything to the contrary, momma. I said I'm not stopping anyone. Just thought it would be useful to get those that show interest in Iraqi citizens to get in touch with some real Iraqis that are trying to have their voices heard out there.

Since I'm a non-believer, I always promote empathy through doing. Empathy through experience. Empathy through real people - or at least attempts to get at that, to whatever degree possible.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 06:47 pm
I hope I didn't sound like I thought you were being contrary, dagmaraka. I certainly did not take it that way.

Empathy through experience and doing IMO speaks volumes.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:30 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Are innocent Iraqis, fearful of attack by either side (or both) really going to be helped by a prayer in the name of Jesus on a web site?

Can we all get a grip here for a moment?

Translation: All you crazy Christians who believe in prayer should catch a clue.

Thanks for your input, D'art.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:30 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

i thought it was prayer AND encouragement. yes, i am a non-believer, thus encouragement alone if no iraqis are reading it does seem pretty limited in effect to me. as for prayer, i am not stopping anyone.

Understood now regarding "encouragement." Thanks.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:33 pm
Dag,
The prayers for FOR the Iraqi people. Not TO them.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 08:14 am
dagmaraka wrote:
I didn't say anything to the contrary, momma. I said I'm not stopping anyone. Just thought it would be useful to get those that show interest in Iraqi citizens to get in touch with some real Iraqis that are trying to have their voices heard out there.

Since I'm a non-believer, I always promote empathy through doing. Empathy through experience. Empathy through real people - or at least attempts to get at that, to whatever degree possible.

This is interesting, do they like to hear from people outside their country or do they resent it? I guess since my curiosity is aroused, I will check it out myself.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 08:20 am
Well, I'd imagine so, revel. At least those that have blogs out there probably do seek contact outside their immediate universe...otherwise why do it, right?

Intrepid, I said I'm not stopping anyone from praying. I don't pray and those that want to send words of encouragement, well, it seems sensible to send it to someone directly in Iraq, don't you think?
Sheesh, I'm trying to cooperate here. I thought people would be interested in that blog. Period.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 08:21 am
Lord, we come to you today asking again for peace for the Iraqi people. Lord, please give every person caught in the middle of this devastation at least one reason to smile today, whether it be at the sunshine, a child's loving face, or just a moment's quiet. Please grant comfort to these people Lord. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:36 pm
Sorry Dag,

I misunderstood. I understand exactly what you meant now.
0 Replies

Mahealani

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 07:22 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Throughout my life I have found prayer to be comforting, calming, and healing, whether it be just by taking the time to do it, meditate on it, or it being answered.[/b]

Thank you...that is exactly how I feel about prayer. Back in the day when I used to "pray", I felt so good about myself--practically a saint in my own eyes. It was wonderful! I could go to bed at night and feel like I had done something to help some poor unfortunate soul who was lacking in something...bread, water, a roof over their head, feet, eyes...you name it! By sending my prayers to the wind, I thought I was helping to save the world.

All I had to do was close my eyes and ask "god" to fix things, thereby removing all responsibility from me. If the subjects of my prayers did not have their suffering alleviated, I could just mutter to myself that "god has his reasons" and leave it at that--I had done my part. If their suffering were alleviated, I could puff up with self-righteous pride, knowing that my prayers had done their trick.

Then one day I had a revelation...I realized that the praying was all about me...how good it made me feel, how comforting it was to me, how unselfish I was in others' eyes, how I was regarded by those whose good opinion of me I valued and required and how it relieved me of the burden of taking action to help in a real way.

We could pray night and day for eternity and I don't believe for a moment it would help a single Iraqi. It is only by doing that we can help them....
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 07:29 pm
You are making the assumption that I don't do anything other than pray. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies