web design: any help and feedback????

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 11:13 am
I use 4.5.4 (the Lite version) and the tabbed interface and improved search and replace functions blow notepad out of the water.

I used to use both notepad and wordpad (because notepad wouldn't interpret some line breaks and specing). Now I use EditPad exclusively.

Anything special about WS_FTP Pro? I have always used the lite version and the pro version doesn't seem to offer much in way of extras. I was really only considering it because it's so cheap ($40 bucks).
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 11:53 am
Special? Not that I've noticed, although I only use it for basic transfers. It's just inexpensive & it does what I need. It looks like it comes with a few utilities I never use though.

One thing I forgot to mention - the version I have isn't well integrated with the Windows Explorer. I had to uninstall that feature & only use the "classic" interface. I read that the new versions don't have this problem.

Hey, quit reminding me that I have a bunch of software to update Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:04 pm
If you are just doing basic transfers look into the free version. It's pretty good. I want to buy a pro version only if it promises better directory management and speed.

I have to upload 100,000 files this weekend and if $40 makes it easier then it's worth it.

But I have uploaded millions of files (literally) with the free version so it obviously works for basic transfer.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 01:16 pm
I started with the free version, but I think I got tired of the "BUY ME" screen, or perhaps I decided to support the company (I do that sometimes) Smile Anyway, I don't remember exactly why I bought it. I think I'm entitled to an upgrade... will have to check into it.

100,000 files? Wow. Does the free version have a limit to how many files you can FTP in one session? With the pro version, I don't think uploading 100,000 files would be too different from uploading 100... it'll just take more time. I just select what I need from my drive and click transfer, then I usually go for a walk or read.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 01:19 pm
I haven't run into any limits but some FTP client optimize the bandwith usage in their pro versions.

Dunno if WS_FTP does. They do have some improved folder stuff. I'll look into it.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 06:45 am
i just checked out the ipswitch web site - they have version 8.0 (i only have 7.5) - anyway, they have a free 30 day evaluation so it may pay to try it out...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:25 am
I'll have a look, for now I'm comfortable with the lite version.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:30 am
Comfort is very important. May I suggest some talcum powder on the nether regions? Smile

seriously, i imagine trying something new can be a horror - i can't imagine the lite version doesn't have at least the same rudimentary abilities, and if something works, ya stick with it! Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:33 am
Yeah, I'm no fan of trial versions either. Dunno why. Guess I just don't like temporary stuff.
0 Replies