web design: any help and feedback????

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 01:57 pm
I'm just learning web design using Frontpage.

Any help and advice would be gratefully received Very Happy

I want to create sites to show my artwork, not so much to sell directly from the web but to show to potential galleries - it is already working in that respect but i want to improve things/learn more/gain feedback from those more experienced, or just interested in web design.

Any advice on good free sites? (you'll see I've discovered some)

I like Geocities becuase the pop ups are small and easily clicked off.

site in progress: www.geocities.com/vivienblackburn

(I've just learnt hidden text so haven't got round to doing all the images yet).

Advice????? Please????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,158 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 02:01 pm
I'd seen your site before (posted in the art forum) and do have a qualm right off the bat.

You have horizontal scrolling, and just to be nice I took a peek at your code to tell you why:

Code:<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" width="107%" id="AutoNumber2" height="192">

In the above code (the code that starts your table) you have:

Code:width="107%"

This should be 100% or less.

As to free hosts you are with a reasonable one for the function you are using it for.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 02:02 pm
If you can afford it, get yourself a domain & web hosting. You'll have more freedom & space to do what you like & you won't have to deal with the ads.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 02:06 pm
Violet makes an excellent point. The domain at least is imperaive and cheap.

You can get a domain for about 6-10 dollars a year.

You can get hosting for 5+ dollars a month.

I'd host your gallery without ads for less (I have an art gallery site in the works).
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 02:09 pm
Did you know that you can use Notepad or any plain text editor to quickly edit your pages?

Just open the file in Notepad, make the changes, and save.

Fixing a problem like the one that Craven pointed out is greatly simplified. Another nice thing is that it'll encourage you to learn a little HTML (which is amazingly simple).
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 02:18 pm
web design - vivien
Wow!!!! Shocked

the speed of those responses!!

Thank you Craven. I will try to correct that fault - it was something that was bothering me - just on the first page. I have printed out your advice - not tonight though as it is getting late here and I'm tooooo tired! Any further advice will be gratefully received.

I would love to take part in your gallery.

Violet - thanks for your excellent advice as well. I know what you mean about doing away with the ads - but at the moment funds are short and i need to concentrate the money on paints, materials and travelling! For the time being I'll have to put up with the ads.

I am printing off all comments so that i can refer to them and improve thanks again Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 02:24 pm
I'm developing a series of online html and website generators.

Here's a peek at some code I am working on for html editing.

It's got notepad's advantages but allows you to preview it as easily as with frontpage.

What it doesn't do is insert all the garbage code that frontpage does.

Online html editor
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 02:31 pm
The editor looks interesting... will it have an option to open existing files?

Frontpage does insert an awful lot of garbage code... forces you babysit the code. It also has a nasty habit of ruining code from other sources.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 02:34 pm
Hmm, I'm trying to keep my editor small. Including an option to open existing files might make it more like a WYSIWYG editor.

In any case it takes a few key strokes to copy and paste an existing page's code into that editor.

I plan to include many other html generators there soon.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 02:36 pm
True Smile

Let me know if you want some help with the interface design.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 03:51 pm
craven
thanks for the info again - i would love to see the programme when you finish it - it sounds really great.

I am only just beginning to look at html so have a lot to learn - most of the stuff so far was purely using frontpage. Smile
0 Replies

Catelina-9734

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:17 am
<span style=color=white;filter:glow(color=663399);height:15>
What do you think of this letter style?</span>

<span style=font:9pt;color:white;background-color=red>Today is Monday!!</span><br><br>
<font size=2 color=green>
go to here and you can see four letter style tags.
<a href="http://myhome.naver.com/catelina">my favorite things</a>-> "click pink box" -> "click and so forth" you can see some tags</font>
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 05:02 am
Boomspeed.com give small free accounts, with the advantage of no adverts! And you can use it for 'hotlinks' - whenever I display a picture on A2K, I have it loaded onto my Boomspeed account.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 07:31 am
violet, i'm a newbie (as you can see from reading this section) but one thing i would say, and i'm sure craven could add or modify what i'm stumbling over, is that to use frontpage you may be changing or requring certain extensions from your host. my host has warned that i can enable frontpage extensions, but then i lose a lot of other functionality - so i have front page extensions disabled. just something i wanted to mention.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 03:33 pm
I went to look at Boomspeed but they have had to suspend the free accounts for the time being Sad
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 03:46 pm
Oh, that's what happened when I first tried to join Sad It's worth checking back periodically, they must keep the numbers limited, maybe it's just a certain number each month ?
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 04:49 am
gadget, I don't use the extensions. I use FrontPage only to layout pages quickly in the wysiwyg window, and edit code in the html window. I also never use it for FTP transfers (I use WS_FTP Pro).

That said, it's not the html editor I would go out and buy. The main reason I use it is because I inherited it free from a company I used to work for Smile

It's fine as long as you know its limitations.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 07:39 am
oops - i just put an entry in to say thanks I'll keep checking - and it disappeared on me!

anyway thanks
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:34 am
Violet,

Check out Editpad. I do php, css and html on it. It has no WYSIWYG feature (though it does have a button that launches the code in your broswer).

Is WS_FTP pro any good? I use the free version but just yesterday I was looking at the pro version details and comparing it and cute FTP.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 10:56 am
Craven,
I use an older, free version of EditPad (3.5.1) that doesn't have any special features for coding... it's really just a bearable alternative to Notepad. I was eyeing the full version just the other day and it looks great.

I like the version of WS_FTP I'm using (6.51) although the interface is a little outdated looking. It does everything I need. It's easy to use, and reliable. One of my clients was looking at it and Cute FTP a few months back, and ended up buying the cuter of the two. He's satisfied as well.
0 Replies