Brokeback Mountain

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:35 am
In the novella, the main characters are described as cave-chested (Ennis) and buck-toothed (Jack), for instance. Hardly descriptions of Heath and Jake, but in a different way it made the story more credible on the screen. It may be part of the problem with the gay life that some are unwilling to give up the worship of physical attrativeness. On the other hand, gay men are more likely to stay fit and pay attention to grooming. The "metrosexual" is trying to follow that criteria.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:38 am
I think that was very much part of the story, though -- they were just regular guys, nothing special about them, except for this one thing.

Does the broken tooth happen? (Just realized that could be part of the "buck-toothed" description, makes sense.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
No broken tooth but the scene is explanatory scene where Ennis hits Jack is added. The story does work as a reading experience and it was quite a feat to make it work as a movie.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
Hmm, I dont think either of them are incredibly gorgeous.
Id walk past Heath in the street and Jake has quite big bug eyes so they arent in the same league as someone consider a God, like Brad(yuck).

I thought Ennis sounded like Ted Levine all the way through.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:48 am
No, they are not "incredibly gorgeous," but both are a great deal better looking than the characters described in the book. But "bug eyes?" Maybe Marty Feldman, but not Jake.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:00 am
Ok, he isnt the same as Marty Feldman.

Id prefer Jake to Heath but Id prefer both of them to Marty.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:32 pm
It's had to say who one would prefer unless one met and got to know the person. Jake does have more of an engratiating personality just by his appearances on talk shows. Heath is almost as low key as his character in "Brokeback Mountain." In the movie, the match seems like perfection and we all know, perfection cannot be sustained.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:57 pm
Maybe I'm wired differently from most. While I had all of the reactions (tears included) mentioned above, nothing ripped me apart quite so much as the shot of the downcast daughter who had been expecting to spend time with Dad as she watched him get into his truck to go on another of his "fishing" trips.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 03:53 pm
There was a borderline obsession on Ennis' part that he was in denial over and it sometimes manifested itself in a disregard for his family.
0 Replies