Can anyone take out a life insurance policy on me?

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:17 pm
Can anyone take out a policy on me? I have found out that my mother's boyfriend had taken out life insurance policies on myself, my child, 2 of my nephews, and other members of my family with him as the beneficiary. None of us were aware of them and each one has our signatures, forged. Is it legal? What is the law regarding who has a right to take out a life insurance policy on an individual?
Thank you. I look forward to your response.
CandyKane
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 25,815 • Replies: 23
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:00 pm
I would say that anything with a forged signiture is illegal.

But I do recall the whole "dead pesants" insurance that many companies were doing.....

You might not need a signature to insure someone.
0 Replies

Mahealani

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:01 pm
I don't know where you live, so don't know what the law is concerning the purchase of insurance against the life of an unrelated party. I suggest calling around to the insurance companies in your area or an attorney. My understanding is that in most jurisdictions, an individual cannot take out a policy on another and designate a beneficiary without the insured's written consent.

Having said that, because signatures were forged, a crime has been committed. In my opinion, the police should be called in.
0 Replies

CandyKane

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:10 pm
I agree that the police should be involved. I live in GA and we are going the contact his employer, (ironically he sells/sold insurance), to let them know of these policies. I also just got word that he had a policy for a female with another name and my moms social!
Thank you for you responses
CandyKane

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:13 pm
Now I am asking, "Why", would he take these policies out?
squinney

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:16 pm
For the commission if he is selling... No, guess not cause he would also have to pay the premiums...

I dunno. But, consider this my bookmark. Interesting question.
0 Replies

CandyKane

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:22 pm
TI have heard that the premiums were up to $300 per policy, per month....i need to see these documents for myself.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:15 am
CandyKane - I don't want to be an alarmist, but I would worry if someone took out a life insurance policy on me, without my permission, and forged the papers. Ir sounds like this guy is up to no good.

I would talk to a lawyer, and probably call the police. BTW, how did you learn of these policies? If the man told you, what was his rationale?

Years ago, anyone could take out an air travel policy on anybody. There was a case where a man took out a policy, I think on his mother-in-law, although I don't remember for sure, and he put a bomb on the plane.

The plane crashed, his mil died, as well as the rest of the people on the plane. I remember after that, only the passenger himself could take out a travel policy.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:17 am
Re: Can anyone take out a life insurance policy on me?
CandyKane wrote:
Can anyone take out a policy on me? I have found out that my mother's boyfriend had taken out life insurance policies on myself, my child, 2 of my nephews, and other members of my family with him as the beneficiary. None of us were aware of them and each one has our signatures, forged. Is it legal? What is the law regarding who has a right to take out a life insurance policy on an individual?
Thank you. I look forward to your response.
CandyKane

You cannot take out a life insurance policy on someone unless you have an "insurable interest" in that person. The law is flexible in this regard, but the basic rule is that you have to suffer some kind of economic detriment in the event that the person dies. So, for instance, it is common for business partners to take out life insurance policies on each other, because the business would suffer in the event of one partner's death. In the case of close relatives, it is assumed that you will suffer some economic detriment. The rule is designed to prevent so-called "gambling policies," where wagers on the lives of famous people were placed in the form of insurance policies (that was big back in the early 19th century).

In the case of a mother's boyfriend, I would guess that the economic detriment would be far too remote, especially for the adult children. Consequently, he has no insurable interest in the lives of the people he is attempting to insure. You are right, then, to be concerned. The fact that he apparantly has also forged signatures is an additional cause for alarm. If I were you, I would contact the insurance company (NOT the agent who sold the policies -- he might be in on the scam)* and tell them that you believe your mother's boyfriend is attempting to defraud the company.

*I just re-read one of your subsequent posts: if your mom's boyfriend is the one who wrote these policies, then he is really trying to defraud the insurance company.
0 Replies

CandyKane

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:51 am
Thank ALL of you for your advice. I will contact his employer today and let them know of these policies. I think that each of us with children involved need to file a complaint separately.
The one on my son was a whole life policy.
Looks like the X-boyfriend did this simply for commission purposesÂ…
Beena

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:53 am
Forget what the law is regarding life insurance. What exactly was your mother's boyfriend planning, when he decided to have insurance policies drawn without your knowledge? :wink:

Plus, the professional who made the policy in your name and without your knowledge, despite the fact that you are grown up, should be taken to court and sued for putting you all at risk of being murdered or dying an unnatural death, the natural way of course. Like the house catches fire or something. And don't forget the cute little burn that the mother's boyfriend would get on his leg or arm in trying to SAVE you all! I do not kid at all.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:56 pm
I also believe that there should be at least two witnesses to the policy drawn for life insurance, from the life insurance company's office who are not the family of the professional who makes the insurance policy papers. And of course the policy can only be drawn with all present there against whom it is drawn.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:19 pm
'Cept that ain't how insurance works. Smile

http://www.aafpins.com/Old%20Web%20Site/aafpins/mono1.html

Lots of good info out there.
0 Replies

dizbus

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 03:54 pm
your signature isnt required, or knowledge , or permission,,
if u work 4 walmart, exxon, bank of america, etc,,,
SURPRISE1!!!
0 Replies

dizbus

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 03:57 pm
@CandyKane,
ur signature and consent is not neccessary
if u wrok 4 walmart, exxon, bank of america, the skum i work 4,, u ahve it, and aramark food in the cafeteria, and kaiser permanente health no care no provide.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 04:14 pm
@CandyKane,
Please read carefully what Joe from Chicago wrote - do NOT contact the employer if he's the agent, contact the insurance company directly. Is this hearsay, or have you actually seen - better yet, are in possession of - these policies? Could there be some mistake?

Get copies, then seems to me it's not police you must contact, I would try the local DA for your town: http://www.pacga.org/find/
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 04:29 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Please read carefully what Joe from Chicago wrote - do NOT contact the employer if he's the agent, contact the insurance company directly. Is this hearsay, or have you actually seen - better yet, are in possession of - these policies? Could there be some mistake?

Get copies, then seems to me it's not police you must contact, I would try the local DA for your town: http://www.pacga.org/find/

That was 3 years ago Laughing

Cycloptichorn
High Seas

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 04:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks, Cycl, I still wonder what happened to this person and her case. She sounds really nice Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:31 am
@CandyKane,
If he sells insurance - he would most likely lose his liscence (deserving so) for doing this.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:32 am
@CandyKane,
Could be for your mom.