DOES ANYBODY STILL WEAR WRISTWATCHES? WHY

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 04:53 pm
I usually wear one because, in my work, Im usually timing something. Other than that watches are almost a "steam engine" technology , or , at best, a fashion statement. Do you wear one , or do you use your cell phone to check the time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,521 • Replies: 156
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 05:00 pm
Watches disintegrate on my wrist. I've never had one last over a month or so without getting broke, due to the carrying of heavy weights. As a consequence, I walk around at work, rarely knowing the exact time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 05:00 pm
If I didn't wear my watch, how would I know what time it was?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 05:10 pm
I really didn't wear a wristwatch until I retired. When I was employed, I didn't wear a watch, because I worked according to what work needed to be finished, and not by the clock.

As my travels increased after retirement, I need a watch to make sure I connect with my transportation from one place to the next according to time. Without a watch, I would be lost.

What was most surprising for me was when my wife and I went to look for my first wristwatch (in 1998), she even suggested I get a Rolex or Movato, and we're talking about a price conscious, very conservative woman. I bought the Movato. Two years ago, I bought a Seiko that has a kinetic power system and it requires no batteries or windups, even though my Movato still works fine. I gave the Movato to my son.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 05:32 pm
I've only carried a pocket watch for the past 25 years, aboot a year ago it died and I haven't found a replacement yet.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 05:46 pm
Yes, I carry a wristwatch, as I am always late for something,
so at least I know when to apologize for being late. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 05:59 pm
Of course I wear one.

I barely ever use my mobile phone.

I think it weird to use a phone for that.

A watch check can be done instantly, and subtly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:00 pm
When I worked in research and clinical labs I was often very clock dependent, not only for the big clock on the wall but for various timers for multiple tests going on at the same time. I never wore a watch in those days, as my off work time was a respite from all that and I had enough clocks at the lab bench.

In my landscape design work I wore one so I could manage to make it to appointments in what they call a timely manner.
More recently, when I've had, with a business partner, both an art gallery and a landarch business, we've needed to pay some attention to the clock, but hey, it was our own place and the time concern was less stressful. I grew to rather like watches, and still do.

At this point I don't have an official office and just wear a watch when I feel like it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:03 pm
all cell phones have a big clock that is set by the NOAA clock. International travel , I can see a watch is important , but I never wear my Tag when I go out of country. Iwear a cheap watch that, if lost , wouldnt make me want to kill myself.

I just saw an article about how watches are losing huge market shares and I just thought that with cell phones and our cars just brim with time pieces and even my computer has a little time guy inside .
Never mind.

CI, thats why , when guys retire , they always get a watch cause they are expected to do things like travel without orders.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:06 pm
rabbit, we dont use our phones for clocks, it just happens that they put a timepiece on the cell phone and ...oh never mind.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:07 pm
No, I don't wear a watch. I drag around a freaking sundial all day.

What's a cell phone? Does it fit on the wrist like a watch?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:08 pm
a guy like you, I imagine has one of those little Batman belts so your cellphone and stuff hangs on in little leather pouches.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:49 pm
I have been using a wrist watch for so long, that I would be lost without one. I have a cellphone, but I would never think of using it to tell time. I do use the computer though, to find out what day it is!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:30 pm
I don't wear a watch. I've had a couple I liked, more I've hated... they never keep good time for me. I use my cellphone for a timepiece -- sorta like a pocketwatch.

Most of the time, I don't care what time it is. Waiting for a bus is one exception.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:33 pm
I know this thread is about wristwatches, but I just had to mention the music clock my wife bought when we were in Mendocino last month for my nieces's wedding.

It plays a different music every hour except when it's dark, it doesn't play. We have it hung in our kitchen wall, and it really is a delight, although I'm not sure how long that's going to last. The nice feature is we can simply turn it off. Smile
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:34 pm
As a mailman, I have with me in the truck a scanner that gives the time, a cell phone that gives the time, and a radio that gives the time (as well as the temperature).

I also wear a wristwatch.

I don't know why.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:35 pm
I wear watches, because they look good.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:38 pm
At last count I think I had 12 wrist watches ..... different sizes, shapes, colours, ya know! And I would never leave the house unless wearing one. Otherwise I'd be even later for appointments than I usually am!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:02 pm
Re: DOES ANYBODY STILL WEAR WRISTWATCHES? WHY
farmerman wrote:
I usually wear one because, in my work, Im usually timing something. Other than that watches are almost a "steam engine" technology , or , at best, a fashion statement. Do you wear one , or do you use your cell phone to check the time.

I don't normally wear a watch because it's not convenient in the environment I work in, and being a sparky, we tend to avoid any form of jewellry. I use my phone most of the time. I wear a watch when I'm travelling, to avoid being late for flights etc.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:04 pm
I bought my watch when I was going overseas for the first time last July. From the $50 rack at the duty free store. It's made by Speedo, and I chose it because it was
a-cheap
b-slim and unobtrusive

In Phuket, a half a dozen people tried to buy it off me.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » DOES ANYBODY STILL WEAR WRISTWATCHES? WHY
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:29:17