DOES ANYBODY STILL WEAR WRISTWATCHES? WHY

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:11 pm
I've worn a wristwatch for as long as I can remember. I too wear cheapo watches to avoid the agony of ruining a good one but, as it turns out, my cheapo Casios have held up very well. My current has both a digital display and the old style hour, minute and second hand display. What's great about it is I can set each one to different times and different alarms, it's great for keeping track of the wee one when he's visitin' his grandparents in a certain sun burnt country.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:15 pm
I cannot stand to wear jewelry in any form. Wristwatches used to drive me nuts, especially during monsoon. So, i switched to pocket watches. You used to be able to get a good two dollar pocket watch for about five bucks (1970s), then they went up to ten bucks, but still not a bad price (i'd keep dropping them and getting them smashed). But then they disappeared altogether.

About seven years ago, some ladies i know clubbed together and got me a Victorinox "Swiss Army" watch for Christmas. I cheated, and priced one--$160 then. It seems indestructible. It is analog, which i prefer to digital, but it runs on batteries. The batteries last about three years, and you can pound nails with the case. The only problem is finding a fob as indestructible as the watch.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:19 pm
Yeah, I agree, BlaiseDaley, the el cheapos are really quite rugged. I wear them because my job is messy (working with clay, paint, plaster, etc) & also because I'm quite clumsy & tend to knock into things a bit. Very Happy They're perfect for the wear & tear I give them & never ever get temperamental on me!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:22 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I've only carried a pocket watch for the past 25 years, aboot a year ago it died and I haven't found a replacement yet.

Go online it you have to to find one, but get a Victorinox, a "Swiss Army" watch--they are to pocket watches what the knives are to pocket knives, which is to say, first class.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:23 pm
I'd add the body language of looking at ones cell phone because someone is late is quite different than looking at your watch.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:27 pm
What used to surprise me (although no longer) and kind of saddens me is that kids can't read analogue clocks and watches any longer. I was standing on the street, waiting for the crossing light, when a kid asked me for the time. I pulled out my watch and showed it too him, being distracted at the moment. Someone tapped me on the shoulder, and i looked around, to see the kid, looking a little red faced and embarrassed, and he asked me the time, once again.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:27 pm
I am never without a watch. I do occassionally check the time on the computer but only when I'm here. Cell phones???? No way. I find them too unreliable, kind of like my ex-husband 30 years past.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:38 pm
i like my timex-ironman ; the alarm feature comes in handy.
for my 25th employment anniversary clock i asked my boss to give me the money instead ($250 in 1984) . i bought a nice collection of old canadian postage stamps and envelopes that has risen quite nicely in value - the watch would probably have given up it's ghost by now. hbg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:05 am
I believe we think in analog. I can better envision how much time I have by looking at a sweep hand than a digital. However, I demand a digital face also to collect data, which needs to be accurate to hours , mins, sec and partials.

I have a Hamilton Railroad pocket watch with the emblem of the Reading Lines. Its a beautiful piece of work, all gold with a cover and with a sweep second hand. I keep it in a glass dome .

Hamburger, I never undesrtood stamps, or coins for that matter. Even so, Ive got a small 2 gal bucket full of wheat pennies. I go through my change and separate the wheat from the newer pennies and , one day, Ill have to see what little return Ive made.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:10 am
I havnt worn one for years, because I kept looking at it and the time never went any quicker.
I use my mobile phone as a clock now, and I tusta few locks around the house, they all tend to vary in time tho.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:15 am
First off I would like to know who this imposter is and why did he steal farmerman's name?

Regarding wristwatches, I never wear them. I consider anything extra added to my body to be just that much more weight to have to lug around. No watch, no cellphone, no rings, no jewelry of any kind. All friggin' dead weight.

Besides, I have no interest in knowing what time it is.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
Of course not gustav - you're in a retirement home!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 09:48 am
As I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me what the time was that was
on my watch, yeah
And I said
Does anybody really know what time it is
I don't
Does anybody really care
care
If so I can't imagine why
about time
We've all got time enough to cry
Oh no, no

And I was walking down the street one day
A pretty lady looked at me and said her diamond watch had
stopped cold, yeah
And I said
I don't
Does anybody really care
care
about time
We've all got time enough to cry
Oh no, no

And I was walking down the street one day
Being pushed and shoved by people trying to beat the clock,
oh no, I just don't know,
I just don't know
And I said, yes I said

Background Vocal:
People runnin' everywhere
Don't know the way to go
Don't know where I am
Can't see past the next step
Don't have to think past the last mile
Have no time to look around
Just run around, run around and think why

I don't
Does anybody really care
care
about time
We've all got time enough to die
Oh no, no
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:22 am
sweet, now take some ludes.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 01:10 pm
farmerman wrote:
sweet, now take some ludes.

oh that I could.....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 01:30 pm
Never wear a watch, or jewelry beyond my wedding band. Just way too annoying and in the way.

I have a clock on my computer, a clock in my car, clocks in almost every room of the house, my cell phone. What more could you need?

dlowan, I thought it was strange at first too check my cell for the time, but really, that can be subtle too.

Actually, I don't even check that too often.

If all else fails, I ask someone with a watch on what the time is.

I've actually been sitting at my computer when someone has asked me why I don't wear a watch, and how I know what the time is, and seem surprised when I glance down and to the right for a second and give them the time.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 01:44 pm
Sure. Just drag out the old cell phone and pretend you're taking someone's picture. They'll never guess you're checking the time.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:07 pm
Naw

Usually my cell phones in my hand bag, and no one thinks twice when a woman unzips her bag, glances or rummages inside for a moment, and zips it back up.

(now that's another subject - ever watch a woman do that 4 or 5 times while waiting somewhere?
Like she's got a ferret or capybera in there she's got to check on occassionally)

Sometimes when your sitting lets say at a conference table, a couple three people may have their phones sitting out on the table, ez enough to glance down.

You don't need to scrutinize the phone to tell the time, I mean, it's right there, big a day.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:10 pm
i wear tons of jewelry and love wristwatches, but i always break them and lose them. since i like antique watches, this turns out to be rather expensive... so most of the time i'm checking my cell phone too. but i like the idea of watches and whenever i'm able to locate a working one, and it goes with the rest of what i'm wearing, i'll wear it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:11 pm
actually, i wear them if they don't work, too, sometimes. as a memory/decoration.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:33:13