DOES ANYBODY STILL WEAR WRISTWATCHES? WHY

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 06:28 pm
I did it, Im 100
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 06:29 pm
You look remarkably well-preserved for all that, farmerman.

Whatever moisturizer do you use?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:55 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Gullible.

You'll keep, Walter, you'll keep! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:03 am
nimh wrote:
Then again, I am always late...

Hmmmm ....

tsk, tsk!

Oh, & I bought another one today! Digital (time/date/day of the week, etc., with a great colour scheme! Very Happy Love my watches!

Like to borrow one of mine, nimh? (I won't even notice it's gone. :wink: )
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 04:35 am
Okay can we stop now?
I see my hamster has turned his wheel 201326 times since we started.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 05:40 am
Like MAC11 I was at one time in a profession where time was everything- television.

You become very aware of how many minutes have passed if you must insert the commercial break at 9:27:30 or lose the revenue. (Very sour face on the station manager when that happens.) It becomes even more important, and precise, when you are directing live newscasts.

A piece on the escaped capybaras drinking it up at the local DewDropInn is going to last 1:14, in that time you must alert the anchor about a script change, tell Camera Three to take a two-button of the weatherman, listen to engineering say that the tape connected to the script change is not loaded, tell the co-anchor that he will be reading after you come off the weatherman, yell at engineering, tell Cam one to hold his three shot and two to standby, have a sip of your tea. 'Fifteen seconds to air, coming out on Three with Ed and his weatherflash (listen to engineering say something about doing a ten second roll on Ed's tape, say okay) , Standby Three, five seconds, ,,,,,,,, cue Ed.'

Do that about sixteen times in a 30 minute cast, you don't need a watch.

I never wore a watch, but even if I hadn't seen a clock for a couple of hours I could guess the time within a minute or two. My kids used to test me at the lake. Mid-Sunday afternoon out at the dock, "Hey, what time is it?" Me==== gazing into space for a moment.... 4:11. Them, cripes, how do you do that?

==
I can't do that as well anymore, too many years of not being constantly time aware.

Now I have a Palm and a cell both of which end up in my bag when I am jogging so I am considering buying a wrist stop watch. Somebody stop me.

===
During our present work meetings, everyone puts their cellphones on the table. The rule is : any meeting lasting longer than thirty minutes is a waste of time.
By making everyone aware of that, there is very little chitchat, extraneous remarks or worthless comments..

... unless I am speaking.

Joe(Time won't let me...)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:14 am
we pull back yet another layer of the onion that is Joe Nation.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:17 am
what if we pull back all of them? what's gonna happen to JoeN?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:18 am
i always know how i'm doing in relation to time, too: i'm late. or i'm miserably late. or i'm despicably late and i shouldn't even go to where i'm going anymore...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 07:09 am
Chai Tea wrote:
well it's quite simple really, if you would start paying attention....

move your coat down to the lower peg before you write your letter home, after your haircut, before you have the headmaster sign your chit.

I hope that clears things up steverino.
Thanks. Whats a chit? Are you being mischaiteavous?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 12:43 pm
I know what a chit is. We used that word, in that sense, where I come from.
Just thought I would tell you that.

We had another, different meaning for that word, too.
But you don't need to know about that.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 12:55 pm
mctag : are you concerned we might loose our "standard of morality" ? (as if we ever had one !). hbg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:04 pm
chit - noun

A statement of an amount owed for food and drink; a check.

or
A short letter; a note.
A Brownie point: earned vital chits with his party by making fundraising speeches.

Actually Steve, I always thought chit was of british origin, but I see from an online dictionary the origin of the above was from India.

However, there is the word chit, from middle english, that means "a saucy girl"

saucy Surprised
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:11 pm
AHA Steve - I KNEW it was British.
Direct from Monty Phython....

HUMPHREY:
All right, settle down. Settle down.
[clunk]
Now, before I begin the lesson, will those of you who are playing in the match this afternoon move your clothes down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut, unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case, collect his note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the lower peg for you. Now,--
WYMER:
Sir?
HUMPHREY:
Yes, Wymer?

WYMER:
My younger brother's going out with Dibble this weekend, sir, but I'm not having my hair cut today, sir.
PUPILS:
[chuckling]
WYMER:
So, do I move my clothes down, or--
HUMPHREY:
I do wish you'd listen, Wymer. It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors, and report to Mr. Viney that you've had your chit signed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:28 pm
Was that Wymer major or Wymer minor speaking?

Perhaps Wymer tertius?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 09:36 pm
wymer ranner
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:08 am
I was shaving this morning when another reason I don't wear a watch struck me. I am surrounded by clocks. Aren't you? The clock I saw in the bathroom mirror is set eleven minutes ahead, it indicates the time it will be when, if you left now, you'd get to the A train platform.

The clock at my bedside differs from the one by my wife's bedside by a minute or two, hers is seven minutes fast, mine is eight. The clock on the microwave, directly across from the clock on the stove, is two minutes faster than the stove clock which is five minutes fast. The clock on the desk is three minutes fast. The clock on the computer is slow by ten minutes or so and has never been within five minutes of being accurate.

I forgot to wind Pop's clock on the bookcase last night so it is silent and been so for several hours. It keeps good time but I set it ahead a minute or two to prevent the chimes from drowning out the opening lines of the programs we watch.

Which brings me to the televisions which, with the advent of cable, have become the chronometers of our lives. Whenever we need to know immediately, exactly and precisely what time it is --- How many minutes till the car service comes ?--- We are meeting them at 7:30, how much time have we got?----They cut off delivery at eleven, what time is it?---- we look to the television cable box clocks for to be in real time.

God love'em, they automatically change at Daylight Savings Time while I have to endure a long session of beeps and clicks to get every other clock in the house in sync with the universe, or at least with the Eastern Seaboard of the USA.

Something else just occurred to me. How come it is that I am fooled every single day by all the clocks that are telling me I have less time then I really do? Really. Almost daily, after rising, looking at my bedside clock to start my day, I go shave and see the bathroom-subway time indicator, yelp, then zoom into the kitchen, glancing at the microwave while I grind the coffee and zap a bagel. Almost without exception, when I walk into the living room to punch up the Weather Channel, I am relieved to see how early I am.

Joe(Am I just that thick?)Nation
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:24 am
A couple of our clocks are radio controlled, but really like the handwinding type. (However, my wife doesn't like that start writing the plus/minus in running in a 'chronometer/clock report book' like I learnt to do in the navy Crying or Very sad )
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:30 am
Have you ever, as I did recently, tried to set the time on your sound system (or any other digital clock) to the exact time, plus or minus not more than five seconds, shown on the TV? (the time displayed on the TV News changes once a minute, but there's no way of telling when it's going to change, unless you can count up to 60 accurately, which I can't)

It's not easy. If you wait too long, the digital display "times out" and you have to start over again, one or two minutes later.
I worked out a method of doing it, but being a bit dim, it took me 3 or 4 goes.

Anyone else?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:47 am
McTag wrote:
unless you can count up to 60 accurately, which I can't

Heres a tip, it's where I always mess up....49 comes AFTER 47, and there is another number or two in between.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 1.4 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:17:12