lets pray for our troops

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:21 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
And Tico and Momma,

I have actually nothing against people praying anywhere. Even making up threads for this purpose. I understand the motivation, even if I don't share it at all.

All I keep saying is that it is unrealistic to expect non-religious folks, or those who disagree or dislike the idea, will stay away. It's a debate forum, some members peruse all new posts. We all remember the atmosphere of the past few weeks and if a thread that combines religion AND Iraq appears -Whoa! it's like a roadside accident, everybody stops to look. I'm just saying that other than outraged it should also be understood from this forum perspective. I feel (I hope I'm right) that the worst is over, the passions are cooling off, which is grand. A little empathy can go a loooong way.

You ask for respect and understanding - yep, there has been a grand lack of that. Now that needs to work both ways, too, right?

I understand what you're saying, Dag ... but during most of the last few weeks atmosphere, I've not been participating. I've been watching from the sidelines ... until the hypocrisy of the non-believers pushed me to jump in.

And I have been struck by the venom coming from the non-believers, who frankly act as if they are entitled to live a "prayer-free" life, up to an including their A2K experience. And if someone is going to dare ask others to come together in a thread for prayer, they are going to jump in with their juvenile postings with the purpose of disrupting and disparaging. What I have observed is really low-class. I personally have little empathy for those folks. I'm not lumping you in with that general comment, BTW.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:25 pm
Anon- I remember you from the foggy mists of time.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:28 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
It's been my handle for 5 years! Ask any of the old-timers!

Anon

It appears it's been your handle on this board for about 20 days or so. Is it your first username on A2K?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:29 pm
sigh. well. i guess it's like smoking - those who smoke want to smoke in public spaces, including bars and restaurants, those who don't want smoking out of their way everywhere.... there are long arguments, usually leading to nowhere, because it's about a sense of entitlement. feelings. emotions. darn hard to adjudicate.

i just think we all progress better when we show a bit more of acknowledgement and empathy. i personally felt the sting of the venom on both sides. maybe we can move on now though... there's hoping.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:30 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Anon- I remember you from the foggy mists of time.

Remember Mary Pope ... one of my best friends?? Phoe, you were in the original group that tried to rebuild Abuzz back in the dark ages.

Anon
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:30 pm
He was Anon before he was Anon Voter.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:34 pm
Lash wrote:

Thanks. Nobody I knew.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:35 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

Anon

It appears it's been your handle on this board for about 20 days or so. Is it your first username on A2K?

When it began. Yep, right to the very first days. I had a bad habit of getting banned because of my low toleration for rightwing bullshit. I've also been gone for some time. It's 20 days old because they have just let me back in. Why, has someone else mentioned your intellect being absent of common sense?? Maybe I'm not the first to notice it??
Anon
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:35 pm
Lash wrote:

I used AV long before I used Anon.

Anon
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:40 pm
Anon wrote:
Remember Mary Pope ... one of my best friends?? Phoe, you were in the original group that tried to rebuild Abuzz back in the dark ages.

Sure I remember Mary Pope. Who could forget her? What a fabulous woman she was. That's right about Abuzz. I was heartsick when I learned that it was going down the tubes.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:40 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
sigh. well. i guess it's like smoking - those who smoke want to smoke in public spaces, including bars and restaurants, those who don't want smoking out of their way everywhere.... there are long arguments, usually leading to nowhere, because it's about a sense of entitlement. feelings. emotions. darn hard to adjudicate.

i just think we all progress better when we show a bit more of acknowledgement and empathy. i personally felt the sting of the venom on both sides. maybe we can move on now though... there's hoping.

Always liked you Dag!!

Anon
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:41 pm
dagmaraka wrote:

As I see it, the smokers who are being complained about, are trying to smoke in a nice quite "smoking section" -- a thread started for that purpose -- but the non-smokers are coming over telling them to quit smoking. Might see their point if they were just plopping down in the middle of the restaurant and lighting up.

I'm ready to move on.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:42 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Anon wrote:

Sure I remember Mary Pope. Who could forget her? What a fabulous woman she was. That's right about Abuzz. I was heartsick when I learned that it was going down the tubes.

I've always called you Phoe ...

Anon
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:43 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Lash wrote:

Anon

Not on this board. (And I don't care if you've been AV on some other board for 5 years.)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:45 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

Anon

When it began. Yep, right to the very first days. I had a bad habit of getting banned because of my low toleration for rightwing bullshit. I've also been gone for some time. It's 20 days old because they have just let me back in. Why, has someone else mentioned your intellect being absent of common sense?? Maybe I'm not the first to notice it??
Anon

One gets the sense that your current stint won't be that long ....

---

Maybe it's your sycophantic posts that seem familiar.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:45 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
As I see it, the smokers who are being complained about, are trying to smoke in a nice quite "smoking section" -- a thread started for that purpose -- but the non-smokers are coming over telling them to quit smoking. Might see their point if they were just plopping down in the middle of the restaurant and lighting up.

I'm ready to move on.

heh, well, maybe they feel you are plopping down in the middle of the restaurant and lighting up.

different people, different perceptions. misunderstandings. life.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:46 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:
Lash wrote:

Anon

Not on this board. (And I don't care if you've been AV on some other board for 5 years.)

You asked, I told you. If you don't want to know, don't ask!

Anon
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:46 pm
heaven forbid the non-smokers get cancer :wink:

they just in-acted a law here in WA that prohibits smoking in all public places
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:48 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

I'm ready to move on.

heh, well, maybe they feel you are plopping down in the middle of the restaurant and lighting up.

different people, different perceptions. misunderstandings. life.

Yep.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:50 pm
<hey, i'm a smoker (social), but i actually love the smoking ban. i wouldn't have it any other way. i practically quit smoking painlessly when it came about - as did a few others i know. but yes, heaven forbid the non-smokers get lung cancer. why should they... makes sense to me.... oops, but there are numerous threads about this. sorry. actually, good night y'all! 3am o'er here.>
0 Replies