Who's your favorite playwright?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,715 • Replies: 9
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 09:25 am
I have several, but I'll wait and give others a chance to post their favorites.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 07:55 am
Still waiting...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 12:16 pm
Picking one is tough! Tom Stoppard, Edward Albee, Horton Foote, Caryl Churchill are among my favorites. Who do you like New Haven?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 12:48 pm
arthur miller
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 01:14 pm
Tennessee Williams
William Inge
Arthur Miller
Neil Simon
to name a few.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 05:51 pm
Of living playwrights, I'd have to put Tom Stoppard (from whom I took my signature) at the top of my list. I've been dazzled by his verbal dexterity ever since I saw Rosencrantz and Guildernstern Are Dead when I was 18, and I love the fact that his verbal dexterity hasn't gotten any less brilliant as the subjects of his plays have become more serious.

Next on my list would be two unrelated playwrights with the same last name: August Wilson and Lanford Wilson. I like August Wilson because he's a born storyteller, and Lanford Wilson because of the humanity he gives to all his characters. There are good guys and bad guys in his plays, but the bad guys are never complete villains, and the good guys have more than their share of flaws.

I also have to mention Brian Friel and Wendy Wasserstein because they've both written plays I've loved (Aristocrats for Friel, and Uncommon Women and Others for Wasserstein), even though they've both also written plays that I've been disappointed in (Give Me Your Answer, Do! for Friel and An American Daughter for Wasserstein).

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, but I'll be back if I think of anyone else. I've mentioned only living playwrights, but if you want no-longer-living playwrights, I could name a few of them, too.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 08:16 am
For starters:

Eugene O'Neil
Tennessee Williams
Lorraine Hansberry
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 10:56 pm
Harold Pinter.
Sam Shepard