God & The Burden of Proof

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:33 pm
Bartikus . . . you . . . you hope the best . . . even for me ? ! ? ! ?

Why, the ol' cockles of my heart just got positively toasty . . .
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:33 pm
Bartikus wrote:
Man is convinced he can discover all truth through his devices alone. lol
What are your sources for claiming that "Man is convinced he can discover all truth through his devices alone"?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:36 pm
Chumly wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
I don't see why that should be, if god is all powerful, it would be easy for him, in fact the bible is full of such examples where he appears. What's the point of the all needless mystery now? Why was it OK for him to appear earlier but not now?

In earlier times when God appeared....people were'nt told they were having hallucinations or suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. People are just way too 'smart' these days to just accept anyone's eyewitness testimony. Don't you understand that chumly?

Science and the vast 'knowledge' of man...is'nt it grand?
What "eyewitness testimony" are you refering to?

If God appeared to you and told you what you wanted to know....would it be a hallucination in your mind? How about to others?

Moses seen God in the form of a 'burning bush' that did'nt really burn.
This was well before modern man's 'knowledge' of psychology.

Many believed Moses. You don't because it can all be explained away.

Everything you experience could potentially be explained away without you having faith that your experiences were real.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
Bartikus . . . you . . . you hope the best . . . even for me ? ! ? ! ?

Why, the ol' cockles of my heart just got positively toasty . . .

lol. I do hope the best for you...not because I think I'm better but, any guy who can recognize the wonderful attributes of a loving pet can't be all that bad.

People are convinced they are superior to animals but.....I see many qualities in a loving dog that makes me wish people had more of.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:40 pm
Bartikus wrote:
If God appeared to you and told you what you wanted to know....would it be a hallucination in your mind? How about to others?

Everything you experience could potentially be explained away without you having faith that your experiences were real.
Please explain what you mean by "appeared" I do not understand.

Would this appearance have any physical manifestations or would it all be in my mind only?

Would others be able to "see" this exact same thing in the exact same way?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:44 pm
Chumly wrote:
Bartikus wrote:

Please explain what you mean by "appeared" I do not understand.

Do you see your monitor? Do my words appear on it when they were'nt there previously?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:46 pm
Bartikus wrote:
Do you see your monitor? Do my words appear on it when they were'nt there previously?
Yes, I see the words, are you saying perhaps that god could appear in my monitor?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:52 pm
Chumly wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
Yes are you saying god will appear in my monitor?

Lol I don't know. If he wanted to he could. Probably not.

I was explaining what 'appear' meant.

Your being silly. You want proof and I...me.....moi can't provide it.

If and when God decides to prove himself to mankind...he will.

Read back where I quoted scripture about Jesus appearing in the clouds.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:05 pm
Bartikus wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
Yes are you saying god will appear in my monitor?

Lol I don't know. If he wanted to he could. Probably not.

I was explaining what 'appear' meant.

Your being silly. You want proof and I...me.....moi can't provide it.

If and when God decides to prove himself to mankind...he will.

Read back where I quoted scripture about Jesus appearing in the clouds.
I know I am being silly but sometimes I just can't help it. But seriously Bartikus, don't you think it would make sense if god made his presence properly known (he could do it in 10 minutes by stopping the world from turning and speaking to everyone all at once all over the world) then people would stop killing each other, infidels would stop going to hell, and all other religions would be abandoned, etc. and we would all just get along as happy loving Christians?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:07 pm
Chumly wrote:
. . . happy loving Christians?

Taken all in all, viewed from an historical perspective, i'd say that's an oxymoron . . . some kinda moron, anyway . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:08 pm
Setanta wrote:
Chumly wrote:
. . . happy loving Christians?

Taken all in all, viewed from an historical perspective, i'd say that's an oxymoron . . . some kinda moron, anyway . . .

You expectin' any lovin' from this Christian?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:53 pm
God just told me (on my monitor) that you're all going to hell if you don't smarten up!

I'll copy it here:
THIS IS GOD SMARTEN UP OR YOU'RE ALL GOING TO HELL!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:56 pm
Who would have thought he would want to talk to me? I guess I am a prophet or a saint now. Saint Chumly, I like that.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:57 pm
You don't really believe in hell, do you?
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 05:41 pm
Re: God & The Burden of Proof
Chumly wrote:
I know it's a bit rambly but I was having fun, so you might indulge me and respond:

Sure, why not … I will indulge you Smile

Chumly wrote:
As far as the common position that the burden of proof must always fall on the owner of the assertion, it is nowhere near that simple, nor should it always be the case.

Although providing proof may not be that simple in certain circumstances, it makes complete sense to leave the burden of proof with the individual putting forth an assertion.

Chumly wrote:
Let me give you an example based on the premise that the more extreme the claim, the higher the burden of requisite proof. In other words, the more extraordinary the claim, the more stringent the proof required.

That there may be a higher burden of proof (I think what you mean here is that more evidence is required to support the proof in question) does not remove the fact that the one making the assertion owns the burden to prove their assertion is true, if they want their assertion to be accepted as something more than opinion.

Chumly wrote:
If I make an assertion that tomorrow it will get light in the daytime, I expect that the burden of proof will be very moderate to nonexistent.

Why? I challenge you right now to give me reason (without question begging) as to why it will get light in the *daytime tomorrow (*by "daytime" I assume those hours of the day that it typically gets light).

Chumly wrote:
If I make the claim that there is a Christian god, I expect the burden of prove to be very high indeed.

You may expect this, but is that expectation warranted? Let's look at your reasons …

Chumly wrote:
The difficulty in wholly proving a negative (no Christian god) versus a positive (yes Christian god), levels the playing field somewhat, because as is well understood, certain negative proofs are virtually impossible to do (no Christian god) but by that token it does not make the opposite of said negative proof (yes Christian god) any more likely.

Nor does it make the opposite of said negative proof any less likely.

Chumly wrote:
The fact that it is less of an extraordinary claim to say there is no Christian god versus saying that there is a Christian god.

I know this has already been asked of you, but I would like you to support your assertion that it is less extraordinary to claim the Christian god does not exist, then it is to claim he does. I think what you will find is that your judgment is not shared by everyone, specifically because said judgment is informed by whether one already believes the Christian god exists.

Chumly wrote:
Despite all the efforts by millions of people over thousands of years there is not one iota of solid evidence to support the extraordinary claims of the existence of a Christian god.

You realize this is an assertion you are making, right? Can you back it up?

Chumly wrote:
Because of the conflicting nature of not only the interpretation of what constitutes a Christian god within the Christian faith, but that competing religions such as Buddhism or Hinduism, which have equal or superior support and lineage, discount or contradict many consequential aspects of the premise of a Christian god.

Because the definition of a Christian god is ill-defined, there can be no clear defining of terms, and without defining one's terms, any assertion based on such vagueness cannot be substantiated.

Yet those who believe in the Christian god probably would not agree with you that he is ill-defined.

In short, when debating with a person who believes in the Christian god, all you can do is debate their particular opinion of what defines him.

I
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 05:52 pm
Setanta wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
But setanta, if the legislation was run by the christians, there would be an equal about of opposition from those who weren't. Regardless of who runs it both sides are opposed to each other and will have some who will refuse to even consider believing anything other than what they consider to be right.

Gotta run... be back later.

Either you miss the point, or you are ignoring it. Legislation against homosexual practice, legislation to prevent homosexual marriage, legislation to outlaw abortion, attempts to put ID in science curricula (and years ago, to prevent sex education)--these are all attempts to impose a moral agenda on society. Those are things of which i speak. As they are predicated upon an assertion about a deity and what the believer claims the deity has said is or is not right, that becomes an issue for debate.

Yeah... I missed the point on that one... sorry.

Ok, so now that I understand I would like to ask you this...

Don't the non-christians try to legislate their personal and idiosyncratic morality into the government as well?

Please bear with me on this...

As a person who believes in God I believe homosexual marriage and abortion are wrong because the bible says it's wrong and that is what I choose to believe. Those are my principles of conduct, my morals. Am I going to bash those who don't believe this over the head with "my morals" and condemn them to hell because they don't agree...

absolutely not.

I will stand by what I believe because to me it is truth. Am I going to try to impose my personal morals into the government?

absolutely not.

Why? Because just being frank, and I know this might come as a shock to some, I really don't give a rat's booty about getting my morals into legislation. I fail to see how that would do good for anyone involved whether christian or not.

However, I would find it hard to believe that those who do not concur with the christians are not in actuality trying to legislate their personal and idiosyncratic morality into the government in their own way. It's just that their morality comes from a different source. Their ideals of what is right is different. So who then is right? Both sides insist they are... Is it really right for either side to point at the other side and yell "You are wrong!" I don't see that as being very effective...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 05:59 pm
hephzibah wrote:
However, I would find it hard to believe that those who do not concur with the christians are not in actuality trying to legislate their personal and idiosyncratic morality into the government in their own way. It's just that their morality comes from a different source. Their ideals of what is right is different. So who then is right? Both sides insist they are... Is it really right for either side to point at the other side and yell "You are wrong!" I don't see that as being very effective...

There is one big difference. Pro-choice people are not forcing Christians to have abortions, or become involved in same sex marriages. Everyone has a choice as to whether they want to do these things or not. Some Christians, on the other hand, are attempting to force other people to abide by their religiously based morality.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:03 pm
Phoenix, I agree. And I appreciate you pointing that out. I don't believe it's right for either side to try to force anyone to do anything. To do so usually only pushes the other side away.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:10 pm
What sides?
We have a group that is trying to impose their will in the form of morality and thus strip certain people of certain freedoms, then we have 'the rest' that finds what they are doing not only outrageous but offensive.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:14 pm
Doktor S wrote:
What sides?
We have a group that is trying to impose their will in the form of morality and thus strip certain people of certain freedoms, then we have 'the rest' that finds what they are doing not only outrageous but offensive.

so you're asserting then that there aren't any non-christians who try to legislate their personal and idiosyncratic morality into the government?
0 Replies