God & The Burden of Proof

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 01:55 pm
It is only by a very tortured exegesis, first elucidated well after the fact of the claim being made in the case of the putative Jesus, that it has been contended that it were predicted that a "virgin birth" would occur.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 02:20 pm
hephzibah wrote:

Exactaly my point JB. Why is it then that people now a days believe that we cannot get it from the source? Why is it that the bible alone is counted by christians as proof of what they believe? I would love to pick your brain about some of these issues because I honestly am clueless concerning some of the stuff that has been talked about here. I don't even know where to look to find the source of information others have used regarding "the canon" and pauls writings... well any of that.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by getting it from the source today.

Set posted some great links for you. An additional reference on the historical formation of and political struggles within the church is the book, "Lost Christianities, the Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew", BD Ehrman. Dr Ehrman is the chair of the Dept of Religious Studies at UNC-Chapel Hill and writes in a clear, easy-to-read style.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:11 am
JB I think I misunderstood what you meant when you said they got it from the source... no biggy... sorry about that...

So... I think I have a lot of catching up to do here on my reading. Thank you both Setanta and JB for taking the time to answer my questions. Now I'm going to look into what you have given me. Could take awhile... LOL I still have questions to get back to you on Setanta... hopefully tomorrow I will have some spare time...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:02 am
I am wondering, setanta, why you think Paul was tied in the miratha (spell?) cult. Is it merely his views expressed in his epistles or is there something out there about Paul and the cult?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:23 am
Well, i am certain that would be a good deal out there about Paul and the cult. The evidence is inferential, though. It is only after Paul began tinkering with the Hey-Zeus cult that the attributes of Mithraism--virgin birth, son of god, December 25th, martyrdom, "cannibalistic" liturgical ritual--appear in the practice of the cult, for as much as anyone can be certain on such a point. That those were derived from Mithraism is not to be doubted, though, as they are attributes of that cult, and pre-date christianity.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:30 am
Setanta wrote:
Well, i am certain that would be a good deal out there about Paul and the cult. The evidence is inferential, though. It is only after Paul began tinkering with the Hey-Zeus cult that the attributes of Mithraism--virgin birth, son of god, December 25th, martyrdom, "cannibalistic" liturgical ritual--appear in the practice of the cult, for as much as anyone can be certain on such a point. That those were derived from Mithraism is not to be doubted, though, as they are attributes of that cult, and pre-date christianity.
Mithras was very popular among Roman soldiers I believe. Set forgive me for not reading and remembering every word of all your posts, but is Hey-Zeus a Setanta pun, or does it have deeper significance?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:32 am
Setanta wrote:
Find something in Paul's writings and get back to us on that, ok? I'd like to see it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:35 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Mithras was very popular among Roman soldiers I believe. Set forgive me for not reading and remembering every word of all your posts, but is Hey-Zeus a Setanta pun, or does it have deeper significance?

Yes, you are correct--the Mithras cult was popular in the legions, as an emphasis on athleticism, military prowess and asceticism was also a notable part of the cult. It was popular in Roman imperial societies well beyond the military however.

Hey-Zeus is a take-off on how Spanish-speaking people pronounce Jesus as a given name.

Neo, i already pointed out that such a contention were inferential. Pick your bone with someone else, i've had my breakfast.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:50 am
Setanta wrote:
Neo, i already pointed out that such a contention were inferential. Pick your bone with someone else, i've had my breakfast.
Didn't mean to question your research, but simply to reestablish your point.

It is true that, after the death of John, considerable deviations from the word arose. But there is no justification in the scriptures for December 25, transubstantiation, or the avalanche of pseudo theocratic drivel that has buried us since.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:53 am
I agree--and interestingly, after Parliament had executed King Charles I in 1649, they came to exactly the same conclusions. On December 25th, 1649, Parliament sat and did its business, and commented for the public that it was just a day like any other, and the attempt to construe it as a feast day was an example of the adoption of pagan practices. It is significant, though, that they felt obliged to comment--and, of course, they were unable to end the practice.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:40 am
Setanta wrote:

Pardon me, but I am still confused. Is there some kind of study by somebody which would point to evidence that Paul tinkered with any cult other than some of views expressed resembling that cult which was thought to be in existence around the time before and after Jesus was born? Or as you would put it, the punitive Jesus was born.

The reason I ask is that most of the views concerning Jesus Paul expressed which had characteristics similar to the Miratha Cult were expressed in the gospels.

Here is one example: Mat 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

About the virgin that was foretold long before the cult was thought to be in existence, it is true that the virgin in both did not come from the same word. However, the virgin in this verse:

Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

means an unmarried woman.

The underlined in this verse:

) virgin, young woman

a) of marriageable age

b) maid or newly married
++++

There is no instance where it can be proved that this word designates a young woman who is not a virgin.

The meaning of the Matthew "virgin verse":

1) a virgin

a) a marriageable maiden

b) a woman who has never had sexual intercourse with a man

c) one's marriageable daughter

2) a man who has abstained from all uncleanness and whoredom attendant on idolatry, and so has kept his chastity

a) one who has never had intercourse with women

(from the blueletter bible.)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:03 pm
I may not have made it clear why I was asking for clarification on why you think Paul was involved in the cult. It is because you made an assertion a few days ago, that we couldn't bring up verses from anything but gospels since anything past that was influenced by the cult. (or some kind of words to that effect) I was merely pointing out that most of the parts about Jesus being born a virgin and the 12 apostles and so which have similar characteristics to the cult were also recorded in the gospels.

For anyone else interested, here is an interesting site from christians who have already answered some of these questions.

http://www.comereason.org/cmp_rlgn/cmp070.asp
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:19 pm
I also remarked that i considered the four gospel canon suspect as well. Origen, in the late second and early third century "edited" and "corrected" the four gospels which became the canon in the early fourth century. It was Origen who decided what existing texts were valid and which were not. It is now known to a certainty that Origen also "edited" and "corrected" passages of the Torah which became the "old testament" of the christians, and that he worked with a flawd copy of the Septuagint.

My only point was that for however unreliable the four gospel canon might be, it would still have a better claim to authenticity than the epistles of Paul. But, for all of that, i consider all of the texts to be suspect.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:28 pm
Earlychurch-dot-org-dot-UK's article on Origen wrote:
Unlike the 'non-intellectual' believers of his day Origen believed that the Bible

...contains three levels of meaning, corresponding to the threefold Pauline (and Platonic) division of a person into body, soul and spirit. The bodily level of Scripture, the bare letter, is normally helpful as it stands to meet the needs of the more simple. The psychic level, corresponding to the soul, is for making progress in perfection.… [The] spiritual interpretation deals with 'unspeakable mysteries' so as to make humanity a "partaker of all the doctrines of the Spirit's counsel".[11]

It has often been pointed out that Origen was not consistent in the distinction he made between the three levels of Scripture. In reality he only discussed two levels - those of the letter and the spirit.[12] Most modern theologians and Bible students seek to identify the meaning God intended a biblical text to have to its original audience. From this they derive its contemporary application, which (to be considered valid) must be linked to the text's original meaning.[13] For Origen the universal application - what the text teaches about Christ and how the reader can become like Him - was the original meaning of the text.[14] If a text did not appear to be speaking about how you might advance towards perfection then you had misunderstood it. This was the key that showed Origen that he had interpreted a text correctly. To put it simply: if he could make a passage speak in this way then he was confident that he had uncovered its true 'spiritual' meaning. Some passages yielded such an application easily; others required more spiritual insight and, sometimes, the rejection of the historical meaning. It was this 'insight' that the 'literalists' (those who saw only the 'letter') lacked.

I strongly urge that you read the Earlychurch-dot-org-dot-UK Origen article which i had linked in an earlier post for a good discussion of the man most crucial to the production of the contemporary scriptural canon.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:32 pm
By the way, a quote from the old testament about a virgin birth does not pre-date Mithraism, even if it does predate the popularity of that cult among the Romans. Mithraism derives from the Zoarastrian tradition of the Pharsee and the Medes--the Persians. For those who are not hide-bound by the Judeo-christian tradition, the Babylonian captivity during which the Hebrews were exposed to a wider and more sophisticated culture, including the Zoarastrian beliefs of their Persian captors is the obvious source of Jewish monotheism, not evident in their pre-captivity tradition.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:56 pm
Setanta wrote:
By the way, a quote from the old testament about a virgin birth does not pre-date Mithraism, even if it does predate the popularity of that cult among the Romans. Mithraism derives from the Zoarastrian tradition of the Pharsee and the Medes--the Persians. For those who are not hide-bound by the Judeo-christian tradition, the Babylonian captivity during which the Hebrews were exposed to a wider and more sophisticated culture, including the Zoarastrian beliefs of their Persian captors is the obvious source of Jewish monotheism, not evident in their pre-captivity tradition.
Fascinating Set. So Cyrus let them back to Jerusalem, they built the second Temple, and monotheism got going as we know it? Or is that too simple. Also thanks for Origen link, not read it fully will persevere, its hard work for bears of little brain like me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 02:04 pm
Well, Pooh (she was Canajun, you know--came from Winnipeg--she actually existed, and was mascot of a Canajun unit in the Great War), it is almost that simple. It is painfully evident (painful for those who don't like doctrinal mirrors) that Genesis admits of more than one god. Monotheism only gradually creeps in. It is likely that the Hebrews were, as a body, almost entirely illiterate before the captivity. Their priesthood may have used Israelite script, but there are very few surviving documents. After the return from Babylon, they began using Hebraic script, and it is possible that a great many more Hebrews than just the priests became literate. Later (in the time of Judas Maccabeus, perhaps, don't recall exactly off the top of my swelled head), they reverted to Israelite script, at least for liturgical writings and Torah commentary. At that time, the majority of the population was undoubtedly speaking Aramaic, so there was a further divide between the population and sacred scripture. Later christian scholars either through ignorance or willful deception, have tried to use this later reversion to Israelite script as evidence of a scriptural continuity which just isn't true.

Where the Bear of Little Brain came from:

Quote:
In August, 1914, Lieutenant Harry Colebourn, a Veterinary Officer with the 34th Fort Garry Horse of Manitoba, was travelling by train from his home in Winnipeg to enroll in the Canadian Army Veterinary Corps in Valcartier, Quebec.

Travelling by Canadian Pacific Railway, he had to change trains at White River Bend in Ontario, where he noticed a man further along the station platform with an American black bear cub tied to the arm of the bench on which he was seated.

He struck up a conversation and, learning that the man was a trapper who had shot and killed the cub's mother, Colebourn offered him $20 for the young bear -- the trapper eagerly accepted the offer and the cub was taken to Quebec, where she became the mascot of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade.

In December 1914, the 2nd Brigade was preparing to move to France in great secrecy. Colebourn decided it was unsafe to take her into battle; so, while passing through London on the way to France on December 9th, 1914, he visited London Zoo and asked them to care for the cub until his return, which he optimistically anticipated would be no longer than two weeks. Of course, 'that war to end all wars' was not to end so quickly. It was not until 1918 that Colebourn returned safely to London. Realising that the bear, now known affectionately by her keepers and visitors as Winnie, was happy and content in her new home, he decided to leave her there.

http://www.pooh-corner.com/images/winnie_colebourn_horse.jpg

Lieutenant Colebourn with Winnie on Salisbury Plain, December, 1914

Pooh Corner (clickity-click)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 04:20 pm
many thanks most touched by pooh reference, never knew bear was real.

If you look closely at the photo, it is clear Winnie is directing the attention of Colebourn and horse, not the reverse !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 04:23 pm
He is probably telling them that he knows where they can all get some nice honey, if the slow twits would just pay attention . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 04:25 pm
If Origen, over 100 years after the NT texts were written, had conducted any substantive editing, there would exist evidence in surviving documents derived from those not subject to his inspection.

Additionally, there are at least a dozen catalogues of the Christian canon (written between 170 and 397 C.E.) which are in essential agreement.
0 Replies