God & The Burden of Proof

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:17 am
sakhi wrote:

I like to run as far as possible from Hindutva nationalists.And, Steve, you are quite right. if you noticed, there was a thread in which even I (i hate arguments),,,even I got into an argument with the person you are reffering to.
Thanks for noticing that sakhi. I really wonder sometimes about such people, there was so much hatred there where did it all come from? Anyway he's probably got himself banned now. Either that or mummy has taken his computer away.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:20 am
sakhi wrote:
Setanta wrote:
sakhi wrote:

I dont know about legislation..but there;s one major difference between Hinduism and Christianity/Islam. (let me clarify here that I believe in neither of them).. Hinduism does not claim to be the ONLY way to God and does not term others as infidels. Hinduism issues no final and binding statements. There are no "conversions" to Hinduism and no baptism...

You may accuse the religion of being pretty vague and open to too many interpretations but Voltaire said "Doubt is uncomfortable, certainty is ridiculous".

If this is the case, why do Hindus assault Muslims in India, why do they attack mosques?

As Prince said once, those people dont believe in Hinduism - they believe in Jerkism Wink...
I'm ashamed of being a Hindu at all those times whenever these Hindutva nationalists attack somebody in the name of Hinduism. Both Hindus and Muslims in India can be pretty mindless.

I like to run as far as possible from Hindutva nationalists.And, Steve, you are quite right. if you noticed, there was a thread in which even I (i hate arguments),,,even I got into an argument with the person you are reffering to.

An entirely reasonable response, and i applaud your honesty and your inferential support of tolerance.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:41 am
revel wrote:
I said the Josephus part about Jesus was in dispute at the outset. As for the other about it being too late, point taken. Nevertheless, what if someone wrote about something they heard about from their parents which happened just before they were born. Would that be discredited because they were not live witnesses? After all it was, according to your calculations and I have no reason to doubt it, a mere eight years after Jesus died that Josephus was born so he was bound to know people who were contemporaries of Jesus.

I understand that. In historiography, one is taught to assign values to evidence based on proximity to events, as well as the putative interest an individual may have in purporting something for an historical fact. Josephus is often advanced as credible by christians on the basis of cui bono, asserting that he had nothing to gain by his "account" of the putative Jesus. However, when it comes to allegations of historical interpolation, one also asks to what extent an entry is consistent with the other work of the author. In the case of Tacitus, one of the most careful of Roman historians, it is an evidence that the famous passage attributed to him would be interpolation because of reference to christians at a time when the term was not used even within the sect, and at a time when the term was unknown at Rome (the passage refers to the great fire at Rome in the reign of Britannicus--commonly known as Nero).

In applying the same scrutiny to Josephus (Titus Flavius are names he never personally used in his writing--they are names he adopted at the time he became a Roman citizen, and refer to the two Roman commanders, both later Emperors, against whom he at first fought, and to whom he later betrayed the cause in the Jewish rebellion in the middle of the first century CE), one is struck by how inappropriate the "Jesus" entries are. Josephus was a fervent believer in and promoter of Judaism. At the time he lived, the cult of Jesus was despised in orthodox, law-abiding Jewish circles (law-abiding in the sense of Jewish social and liturgical law). Josephus constantly commended Judaism to those around him at Rome, where he lived out his days after leaving Palestine. He had a modest pension from the Flavians for his assistance in the Jewish War, and would have been risking that and his status as a Roman citizen in his proselytizing for Judaism. He was very insistant upon the observance of the law as it was known to orthodox Jews of his day. In light of that, the "Jesus" entry is not only suspicious, it is positively quixotic.

Josephus does not count as a contemporary witness--so that one is still left with the conundrum of why this putative Jesus inspired so much comment in the century after his death, but not at the time he lived.

Quote:
I realize people object to Paul's portions of the Bible. Personally I believe if you reject one part of the Bible it leaves the rest suspect.

I would not quibble with that--and in fact, i have a good deal more reasons than simply that for finding scripture suspect.

Quote:
For a time I went through a period of questioning Paul, until I studied Paul's epistle's a little deeper and understood his mission was different than Jesus mission.

It is upon that basis that i propose, for those who believe Jesus existed, that he had a message which constituted a "new covenant" which superceded the law of the Torah (another reason to doubt that Josephus bought into such a cult contention), that the believer can have no basis for an objection to homosexuality, because no such objection appears in the four gospel cannon--whereas any epistle of Paul to the Romans or the Corinthians cannot be considered to be representative of what Jesus is "known" to have taught.

Quote:
Jesus said that the gospel was to go to the Jews first then to all the world. (Or words to that effect) Paul's was to bring the Gentiles to the gospel and that is what he mainly did, consolidated the Jews, Gentiles, Greek...into one in Christ Jesus. (Or words to that effect--too early to be getting exact quotes which more than likely you are going to reject anyway, no offense intended.)

I take no offense. It is frequently alleged by christians at this site that the bobble condemns homosexuality. However, that is to be found in the old testament. When one complains of the violence and brutality of the god of the old testament, then these same christians start parroting the "new covenant" claptrap. In that case, one is left to examine what are reputed to be the teachings of the putative "Christ" (also a Pauline term--he introduced Greek scholarship as well as pagan practice). That is only to be found in the four gospel canon.

Of course i reject all of it, including the four gospel canon. I was simply explaining to Miss Eppie the lack of internal consistancy in the arguments advanced by christians on various topics of cricitism of their creed.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:19 am
I am way out of my depth with you setanta, should have known better in the first place. In order to give you even at least a smidgen of a run for your money I would have to do an awful lot of studying and researching and asking questions of someone I know who is a lot more knowledgable than I am in this area. If it all the same to you, I will let it go because by the time I get back, more than likely this exchange will be long gone along with your interest, I imagine.

However, if you like, I will do it and get back. (don't want anyone to think I shy away from it) (sounds a little immature, the whole thing <smile>)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:29 am
I don't think it sounds immature. If you wish, certainly, go check more sources, and tell us what you conclude.

When i was a history major at university almost forty years ago, one of my fellows was a pushing christian type, who took every opportunity to condemn a book entitled The Passover Plot, written in 1965 by Hugh Schonfield. I had heard of it, but not paid much attention, because, although i was thoroughly grounded in ancient history before ever i arrived at university, the history of Palestine was obviously overemphasized, and the prejudices of christians in history, especially in asserting that all civilization flowed from the middle east, was simply annoying.

But the idiot did more to promote the book he condemned than anything else--he probably brought it to the attention of many people who might never have heard of it. I got a copy and read it, and then began the first great exercise in historiography which i ever undertook. The upshot is that although i found a good many dubious contentions in Mr. Schonfield's book, nevertheless it pointed out a good many flaws in the canonical accounts of the putative Jesus and the era concerned. In the process of researching the issue, i learned a great deal about historiography, about interpolation, and about the attempts that everyone--i do mean absolutely everyone--makes to turn history to their argument. I have no objection to such a practice, i do it myself. But one had better have one's ducks in a row when pursuing the exercise, because i guarantee you someone out there will attempt to shoot you down, whether they have the weight of evidence on their side or not.

By all means, pursue the subject, there's no reason not to.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:40 am
All right, I will explore the subject, it might take me awhile but if it don't, I will get back on the subjects of Paul and the mention of Jesus by Josephus and look for possible other mentions of Jesus by other contempary wirters of the time of Jesus. If nothing else, like your experience with the fellow in your class, I will have learned something in the doing of it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:11 am
You would think that God would make himself known in such a way that one would not need to have memorized an encyclopedia to understand.

Or, perhaps he has done so and we are afraid to look.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 03:20 pm
I understand your point, neolgist. I spent the better part of the day googling material concerning Roman History and the early christianity and Jesus. To tell the truth, I feel overwhelmed and that if I lived to be 100 plus years, I would never even come close to understanding all these learned scholars on the subject, both pro-christian and against.

I understand Setanta's point about it being weird (my words, obviously) of a Jewish writer seeming to confirm Christians belief of Jesus rising from the dead (among the other assertions which actually could have explanations.) I plan to do some more studying on it in my time to arrive at some answers.

In the end for the purposes of debate I think it is just going to remain in dispute and therefore, it is not really legitimate for me to bring it up as some kind of proof of earlier non christian recordings of Jesus. I concede it was sloppy on my part. Although I am flattered that Setanta was surprised I would resort to sloppiness.

However on the Tactius and Roman thing, from what I can understand most scholars accept it as authentic; they just question his sources.

Quote:
Some scholars, such as Gordon Stein, have suggested that this could be a later textual interpolation by Christian scribes. Another scholar, J.W.Ross, has suggested that the text had been composed by the renaissance papal secretary Poggio Bracciolini, who supposedly obtained the manuscript from a monastery at that time. Unlike the case with Josephus on Jesus, however, there is less clear evidence for doubting the authenticity of this text; debate focuses rather on the nature of Tacitus's sources[1].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Jesus

I was trying answer the Paul things, and I became confused on just why Paul's epistles are thought to be a corruption and why the gospels are not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:18 pm
Revel, it is worth noting that even were the Tacitus entry not an interpolation, Tacitus does not assert that Jesus actually existed (he doesn't mention that topic at all), simply that there was such a cult--and that is not a subject of any dispute.

As for Paul, i was simply pointing out to Miss Eppie that Paul had an agenda of his own, and is suspect as a source for the teachings of the putative Jesus. The principle of cui bono--who benefits--is important in historiography. Paul can be considered an unreliable source because it is obvious that he had introduced into the cult elements which are not derived from Judaism, and it is also evident from several sources contemporary with Paul that he sought to take control of the cult.

So, i was pointing out that with such a caveat in mind, one can only rely on the four gospel canon for determining what the putative Jesus taught about homosexuality--which is nothing, because nothing appears therein.

My personal view, of which i feel it is correct to state Miss Eppie is aware, is that there is not good reason to suppose that the putative Jesus ever existed, or that the gospels are authentic. I was simply viewing the issue from the point of view of believers who speak of a "new covenant," but then refer to Leviticus to condemn homosexuality.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 08:51 am
I am ignorant on the subject of any cults that were in existence of the time of Paul's conversion, so I can't comment. Your sort of leave me in a box. Most of Christian doctrine comes from Paul's books and other books of NT other than just the gospels. I guess in the future I will stay away from discussion with you about anything that I would have to get from those sources unless I go to the trouble of searching out the cult thing concerning Paul.

On the subject of Tactitus, your right, he does not mention Jesus.

I guess I have butted in long enough as it seems I have exhausted the subject.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 09:50 am
revel wrote:
I am ignorant on the subject of any cults that were in existence of the time of Paul's conversion, so I can't comment. Your sort of leave me in a box. Most of Christian doctrine comes from Paul's books and other books of NT other than just the gospels. I guess in the future I will stay away from discussion with you about anything that I would have to get from those sources unless I go to the trouble of searching out the cult thing concerning Paul.

You know you make an interesting point here:

Quote:
Most of Christian doctrine comes from Paul's books and other books of NT other than just the gospels.

So where then did the other disciples get their doctrine? They didn't have the new testament back then.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:37 am
I'm sure I must be misreading your question, hephzibah. By other disciples do you mean the twelve? They obviously got it from the source. There were many gospels available in early Christianity. During the second and third centuries there were no books and very few, if any, collections. Most villages, tribes, communities used a single gospel which began as an oral tradition and eventually made it's way to written form.

Earlier versions of the four gospels which eventually made it into the canon were in use in some communities but other gospels, such as the Gospel of Peter which was written in the first person under the name of Simon Peter, but was apparently not actually written by the disciple Peter were also widely endorsed. The Gospel of Peter was eventually rejected because of it's docetic themes which inferred that Jesus did not suffer on the cross or that the Holy Spirit left his body before his death. Other gospels were discounted by the early church as heretical because they did not fully proscribe to the official doctrine.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:56 am
J_B wrote:
I'm sure I must be misreading your question, hephzibah. By other disciples do you mean the twelve? They obviously got it from the source. There were many gospels available in early Christianity. During the second and third centuries there were no books and very few, if any, collections. Most villages, tribes, communities used a single gospel which began as an oral tradition and eventually made it's way to written form.

Earlier versions of the four gospels which eventually made it into the canon were in use in some communities but other gospels, such as the Gospel of Peter which was written in the first person under the name of Simon Peter, but was apparently not actually written by the disciple Peter were also widely endorsed. The Gospel of Peter was eventually rejected because of it's docetic themes which inferred that Jesus did not suffer on the cross or that the Holy Spirit left his body before his death. Other gospels were discounted by the early church as heretical because they did not fully proscribe to the official doctrine.

Exactaly my point JB. Why is it then that people now a days believe that we cannot get it from the source? Why is it that the bible alone is counted by christians as proof of what they believe? I would love to pick your brain about some of these issues because I honestly am clueless concerning some of the stuff that has been talked about here. I don't even know where to look to find the source of information others have used regarding "the canon" and pauls writings... well any of that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:58 am
revel wrote:

The most popular cult at the time Saul of Tarsus decided he'd like to a really cool cult leader was the cult of Mithras. Do an online search for Mithras, and then do Christianity+Mithraism. The former search will lead you to some loony atheist and thesist sites. Applying the rule of cui bono, it is reasonable to assume that either group have a stake in getting you to believe as they wish you to believe. In the case of the latter search it is even more likely that you'll get loony atheist or theist sites. Therefore, you should take with a grain of salt whatever you find from those people. (On a personal note, i feel that atheists who are sufficiently obsessed to start their own web sites are not in fact simply atheists--without god--but are anti-theists who make a religion of their "unbelief," and for whom Science is their god, about who they have as vague and fuzzy a notion as most theists do about their deity.) There will be some sites which have no doctrinal axe to grind though, and you can probably spot those by their ambivalence and the qualified nature of their statements--a site such as that will very likely have the best perspective on Mithraism and its relationship to christianity.

Some of the major aspects of Mithraism which were incorporated into christianity were an incarnation of god on earth through the agency of a "son of god" born of a virgin birth, with a "birthday" or feast day on December 25th; a martyrdom and a resurrection (it is likely that if the putative Jesus ever did exist, he was not in fact ever executed by the Romans, and that would explain why no contemporary accounts--a period of 4 BCE to 28 or 29 CE--have ever been found, the individual not having attracted any notice in his own lifetime); a liturgical sacrament involving symbolic cannibalism, which is to say, symbolically consuming the body and blood of the god.

My view of Saul of Tarsus (aka "St." Paul) is that he is history's first and greatest slick PR man.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:04 am
Very quick response because I'm on my way out.... I think it comes down to the issue of divine protection of the bible. If the Christian Bible represents the word of God and it has divine protection then those who claim the bible is the invention of man (me, for instance) put the entirety of the bible into question by questioning Paul's authority.

To me it's a simple question of whether the Bible is the word of God or the word of Man. Ok, maybe it's not so simple...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:05 am
Setanta wrote:

My view of Saul of Tarsus (aka "St." Paul) is that he is history's first and greatest slick PR man.

Yep
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:31 am
I was somewhat amused by the reference on the part of Miss Eppie to "other disciples." It is not an altogether inaccurate description, as those concerned might have considered themselves disciples, without actually having been contemporaries of or companions of the putative Jesus (if he actually existed, which remains unproven).

Probably one of the best places to start, Miss Eppie, is Origen an early church "father" and one of the most prolific writers of the early church.

Wikipedia wrote:
Origen (ca. 182-ca. 251) was a Christian scholar and theologian and one of the most distinguished of the Fathers of the early Christian Church. He is thought to have been born at Alexandria, and died at Caesarea. His writings are important as one of the first serious intellectual attempts to describe Christianity.

Wikipedia is not the crappy source most people like to portray it as being--usually because they don't like having someone quickly contradict them online. It is not, however, the most reliable or most thorough source. But it is usually the fastest way to get information online and by reading Wikipedia articles, you can make a list of names that can be used in other searches.

Origen was the one who decided that the four gospels which comprise the orthodox canon are the only authentic gospels. When researching religious scriptures, it is useful to search for an author's exegetical works. The word exegesis means the interpretation of scripture, and exegetical works are those which concern themselves with the authenticity and meaning of scripture. No other single early christian author was more important in the editing and "correction" of those gospels, either. We cannot know what those gospels contained before Origen got his hands on them--i believe i am correct in stating that no copies of those gospels survive which were not edited by Origen, and again edited by Pamphilus and Eusebius (look them up, as well, Eusebius was the church scholar who made the four gospel canon the officical scripture of the church at the Nicean Council, 325 CE. Eusebius is another important scholar and historian of the church, and wrote an apologia for Origen--which doesn't necessarily "apologize" for Origen, but rather, defends the scholarship of Origen. As Saul of Tarsus--the so-called St. Paul--lived, roughly, from 3 CE to 67 CE, even Origen could not have escaped his influence. Paul is the only contemporary to the putative Jesus, and he never personally claims to have known him. However, inferentially, Paul's promotion of the sect after his conversion is the strongest contemporary (or near contemporary, the putative Jesus would already have been dead) evidence that Jesus existed--as opposed to being a construct of a mystical Jewish sect.

Paul, Origen and Eusebius constitute the most important sources for christianity before it began to fragment. Roman Catholicism (and therefore, almost all forms of Protestantism), Byzantine Catholicism and the Greek and Russian Orthodox churches are derive directly from the "official" church which was created at Nicea in 325 CE. Other christian sects of interest are the Syriac and Nestorian christians.

You can spend literally years reading up on these topics. I once did, although casually, in the late 1960s and early 1970s, when there were no such online resources. You have an opportunity to learn a great deal about the creed you espouse.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:53 am
Thank you setanta. I appreciate your answer and providing me with sources to look at. I am interested in learning more about this. I have a few questions regarding your post, but I have to leave for work. I will have to get back to you later on those.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:56 am
Here is an excellent page from Earlychurch-dot-org-dot-UK which examines Origen's significance, and refers to errors in his exegesis and his eschatology (that term refers, roughly, to "the end of days"--some people claim that the second coming actually already took place in the first century!) which lead Origen to consider certain passage of the bible (both old testament and what are now the four canonical gospels) to be incorrect. These issues are important to the theological scholar because they influenced the editing and the "correction" of the gospels which Origen undertook.

This excellent page looks at the creation of the four gospel canon and Origen's part in it, and has listings of all the known "gospels" in his time, and other "sacred" writings, which are linked to the portions of the text on that page which discuss them. You can use those listings to do further searches on the alleged gospels and other alleged sacred christian writings which were known in the late second and early third century when Origen lived and wrote.

This page from Praiseofglory-dot-com looks at Origen as an influential and controversial "father of the church."

This is the page on Eusebius of Caesarea from the Catholic Encyclopedia.

This page on Eusebius at Earlychurch-dot-org-dot-UK has a huge list of linked pages to articles on Eusebius and his work.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 12:34 pm
Like I said I haven't studied the cult of Mithras, already I saved all those links you provided plus already some more on the subject. In the past when confronted with this or similar charges from others on religious forums, I had a standard answer that basically went something like, the birth of Jesus was foretold long before it happened, even the virgin birth was foretold, so it is not a given that christianity stole the idea from other cults or legends, but other legends may have stole the idea from the prophecies of the coming messiah. I still think that is highly probable, but will look into more anyway.
0 Replies