Rain Soft H2O softener will not operate/regenerate.

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 04:06 pm
I have been reading many of the threads related to Rainsoft equipment before sending this and I would like to see if anyone has some type of an answer. I have a 7.5 year old Rainsoft water treatment system. I think it is an Amazon type from the pic's I have seen on this web area. I do not know if it is a "gold"model or not(I paid about $2200. for it back then). Anyway, the thing will not operate/regenerate manually or otherwise. I have tried the suggetions made by the H2O man in the threads and nothing seemed to work. I was able to get through to RainSoft and talk to a tech-unlike many other folks I have seen on this web site. After hearing my problem, he came to the conclusion that the piston was jammed from the sheer pin being busted or the motherboard was probably shot. He suggested getting a hold of my local dealer where I purchased it and have them look at and or repair it. He said it would need new O-rings, an ejector, a valve and the piston replaced. It seems like it will be very cosly considering labor and part costs. The Problem is my local dealer went belly up several years ago and the closest dealers are about 1to 1-1/2 hrs away. Out of four phone calls and voice mails left to them, no responses in two days whatsoever. I was wondering if parts are available anywhere or if maybe someone could assist me with the problem. I have followed H2O man's suggestions on some of the other threads and nothing has worked. I am able to check the capacity hardness and the other things on the LED screen and they are what they were originally set at. I have changed the battery, the fuse and let the computer reset as suggested, all to no avail. I does appear that the little piston seems to be stuck half way up, just speculating om my part. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, Thank you H2O man for trying to assist all us problem children, you are indeed a good man and really seem knowledgeable about RainSoft equipment.

Steelers06
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,782 • Replies: 3
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 04:50 pm
First I must thank you for the kind words - Thank you.

I have a request:

Lift the square box that covers the valve motor off of the unit and set it aside.
Press the "start cycle" button - watch for any movement and listen for any sounds.
Reply with a report of what happened and maybe I can help figure this out.
Clear pictures of this area could prove helpful.
0 Replies

Steelers06

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:16 pm
H20 man

Thank you for the response as you were the only one that I saw today. I have been working and have not had time to respond. I actually got a strange call about 10:00AM Saturday morning after posting my request here for help on Friday. It was from an "Independent service man" who only works on RainSoft products. He was actually not either of the two I had left the messages with. The one RainSoft dealer, located in Butler, PA that I was referred to by RainSoft headquarters, actually called the "Independent service man". He told the Independent fellow that he would not come this far to my house and asked would he call me about repairing it. To make a long story short the Independent service fellow told me he could come today(Saturday)for a $90.00 service call in the PM to fix it. After hearing the problem he said it was a shear pin problem and he could probably fix it in 30-45 minutes. He showed up when he said he would, and did replace the shear pin, changed the o-rings, put it back together and I was up and running. So far so good. The $ 90.00 service call seemed pretty steep but the parts were of no charge of course since they are covered are under the warranty, as you well know. I am very thankful it was not an electrical issue and I guess in a way I was very lucky to get it repaired so quickly and easily after hearing some of the repair nightmares on this blog. Thank you once again for your response to assist me as you have done with many others.

Hank

PS- After it was repaired I got two different calls from the Erie,PA dealer on Monday. So maybe they were just busy last week.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:50 pm
Steelers06 wrote:
H20 man

Thank you for the response... it was a shear pin problem...

Thank you once again for your response to assist me as you have done with many others.

Hank

PS- After it was repaired I got two different calls from the Erie,PA dealer on Monday. So maybe they were just busy last week.

Hank, I am glad everything worked out.
Some larger dealers do sub-contract service and installation.

I'm here to help,
Kevin
0 Replies