Man Created God With The Computer

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 11:09 am
Am waiting to learn how this will affect what we know.

Xinhua
Stardust probe loaded with primordial debris
Spaceflight Now - Jan 19, 2006
BY WILLIAM HARWOOD. NASA's Stardust probe returned to Earth last weekend loaded with primordial debris from an ancient comet, researchers said today, providing an unprecedented glimpse into the birth of the solar system 4.6 billion years ago. ...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 04:24 pm
Should be interesting Cool
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:57 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edgar, the conversation has taken a turn away from the objective. Why not start with the work of george LeMaitre. I have a series of papers by him that give the basis for what originated the thinking re: Big Bang. Usually it comes back to Father George, especially since Einstein loade up on him until Einstein himself became a convert. farmerman

Farmerman, if you see this, how can I access the papers of which you wrote? I have been Googling him, but haven't stumbled across his direct writings.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 01:46 am
edgarblythe wrote:
An infinitesimal speck of matter is going to jumpstart a whole universe, including creating life! Give me a break.

Ok, I am going to bed now. Obviously been at the computer too long. EB is starting to sound like me. 'Nite all. Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:02 am
Perhaps I should refine that statement a bit.

The universe in the story has expanded, become too thin, but for the one star. Could the one star have amassed the super core that exploded into a universe? Why does the star survive at all?

Is that the condition that preceded the Big Bang? It sets up an endless circle dependent on humanity to keep turning. That would seem the utmost presumption; begs original cause, still.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 03:04 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Perhaps I should refine that statement a bit.

The universe in the story has expanded, become too thin, but for the one star. Could the one star have amassed the super core that exploded into a universe? Why does the star survive at all?

Is that the condition that preceded the Big Bang? It sets up an endless circle dependent on humanity to keep turning. That would seem the utmost presumption; begs original cause, still.
I am not sure where in the story you infer "The universe in the story has expanded, become too thin, but for the one star" can you show where this "but for the one star" reference?

It's clearly unreasonable to presume a Science Fiction short story to "seem the utmost presumption" bearing in mind the genre.

As far as the "endless circle dependent on humanity to keep turning" I'll list a few of the problems your premise generates:

1) Where in the story does it suggest that man or his ilk were precursors to any but the one event in question?

2) Your premise is based on the linear assessment of time (paradoxes of time and temporal nonlinearly etc.).

3) Your premise is built on successive and prior realties being similar enough to contain humans with similar timelines.

4) Your premise "dependent on humanity to keep turning" is false because once AC is in place there is no further need for humanity to reinvent AC.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 03:36 pm
Man's last mind paused before fusion, looking over space that included nothing but the dregs of one last dark star and nothing besides but incredibly thin matter, agitated randomly by the tag ends of heat wearing out, asymptotically, to the absolute zero.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 03:56 pm
Ah the "dregs of one last dark star" that's a mite different than "but for the one star" don't you think?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:09 pm
It all still begs original cause.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:14 pm
Yup, and if you review my points 1 to 4 & comment "bearing in mind the genre" I address this and pose questions for you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:36 pm
I'll revisit the beginning of the thread this evening or during the week. I really do want to do this right. I am not well versed in this stuff, so it's not easy.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:49 pm
Sounds good Cool
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 08:48 am
I re read the short story at the beginning and then read your question again. I don't think many people see evidence that the big bang will occur a second time. Also, I don't think the story provides real evidence that the method (assuming it were so) of the computer and/or humankind would work. As the story states more than once, "Insufficient Data." I have no idea what triggered the Big Bang in the first place and don't have the imagination to come up with anything.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:42 pm
There is of course the hypothesis that the Big Bang is one of many. Big Bang, Universe expands, Universe contracts, Big Crush, Big Bang again.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 01:13 pm
Best evidence today is that the universe is flat. That is, it will not collapse, and will not continue to expand forever.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 01:15 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:04 pm
Of course, computers evolved in the story way beyond today's capabilities, but assuming big bangs could be regular occurrences I suspect they would do so without outside help.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:17 pm
Sure I agree, but it spoils some of the fun of the story that in some sense man (or his effects) can become god (or it's practical equivalent).

That's where this story departs from the literal, (some would suggest) and moves into the allegorical i.e. man is god.

(I am in a mega-bracket mood today)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:18 pm
It's a wonderful story. I think I read it a long time ago.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:23 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
There is of course the hypothesis that the Big Bang is one of many. Big Bang, Universe expands, Universe contracts, Big Crush, Big Bang again.
Gotta be the slowest oscillator this side of an underpaid hooker's oral gyrations (joke)!
DrewDad wrote:
Best evidence today is that the universe is flat. That is, it will not collapse, and will not continue to expand forever.
So you figure we are tabletop 2 dimensional flat landers (joke)? And what after the expansion; steady state/heat death (not joke)?
0 Replies