The esetoric and literals of the bible

azure

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:00 pm
Even though there are Christians who interpret the bible literally many maybe even most christians would agree that there is esetoric (underlying meaning beyond the literal) in the bible.

For example if you look at the story of jesus in a boat with his disciples during a storm. The literal would tell us just that, but the esetoric would point to the thought of our own lifes in times of turmoil and the boat being ourselves as vessels on a sometimes stormy sea.

I'm curious to understand how one can take one part of the bible so literally and another as not literal. Where does one draw the line of what is literal and what is not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,511 • Replies: 82
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 04:44 pm
Azure,

Then there are times that things in the Bible can be taken as both literal and esoterically.

Such as the the exact story you point out. Yes, there was a storm and Christ said, "Peace be still" and the waters were still. It could also be telling just what you said, the storms in our life and leaning on Christ for the peace and calm.

I don't think anyone will ever tell you (at least I hope they don't) that they know everything there is to know or understand about the Bible. Then there are times that the literal translation doesn't apply in a situation at that given time and the esoteric does and vice versa. I think the meaning behind it all is probably something no one has complete understanding of.

So, for me, this isn't something answered easily. I think you have to take specifics about what you are talking about.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:28 pm
Re: The esetoric and literals of the bible
azure wrote:
I'm curious to understand how one can take one part of the bible so literally and another as not literal. Where does one draw the line of what is literal and what is not?

Good question azure. I have often wondered about the formula for picking and choosing myself.

There are even many portions of the Bible that cause me to wonder what the esetoric message could be.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:32 pm
mesquite wrote:
azure wrote:

Good question azure. I have often wondered about the formula for picking and choosing myself.

There are even many portions of the Bible that cause me to wonder what the esetoric message could be.

Mesquite,

You are not alone there. There are still so many things I haven't got a clue on about the Bible.
0 Replies

azure

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 09:41 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Azure,

Then there are times that things in the Bible can be taken as both literal and esoterically.

Such as the the exact story you point out. Yes, there was a storm and Christ said, "Peace be still" and the waters were still. It could also be telling just what you said, the storms in our life and leaning on Christ for the peace and calm.

I don't think anyone will ever tell you (at least I hope they don't) that they know everything there is to know or understand about the Bible. Then there are times that the literal translation doesn't apply in a situation at that given time and the esoteric does and vice versa. I think the meaning behind it all is probably something no one has complete understanding of.

So, for me, this isn't something answered easily. I think you have to take specifics about what you are talking about.

Thank you for your thoughts momma angel. I'm not religious however I do respect the fact that others are and I would like to have some semblance of understanding. I have read the bible though and one of my favorite parts that definately has esestoric meaning would be parables.

I agree that no one has complete understanding, is this not why they call it the living bible? because it seems to adapt to the reader?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 09:49 pm
some reading on bible Interpretation
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 09:51 pm
Seems to adapt to the reader? Hmmm. I guess I always looked at it that the reader adapts to it. That is a very intriguing thought, Azure. I'm going to think on that.
0 Replies

azure

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 09:52 pm
Re: The esetoric and literals of the bible
mesquite wrote:
azure wrote:

I'm still wondering the same mesquite.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 09:56 pm
The formula had to do with men that were somehow being spiritually guided in(by) the will of God.

Now that where it's gets dicey for folks that have not experienced the active live God(Holy Spirt) - that's not a belittlement or debase
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:20 pm
It's not necessary to pick, choose, and appoint interpretative methods for passages--it's not an 'either/or' situation.

The bible is like an onion--many layers, and each one is a complete layer. On the outside of the onion, it seems opaque. But in between the layers, a hint of those on either side (beyond and behind) shows--just enough to show that there is something more...but not the details...

No layer contradicts the whole, no interpretation contradicts another in the same layer...

There are various types: allegorical, symbolic, metaphorical, numerical, metaphysical, etc...

The more you seek, the deeper you go in the onion. It is a sweet onion.
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:23 pm
azure wrote:
I agree that no one has complete understanding, is this not why they call it the living bible? because it seems to adapt to the reader?

Indeed! I think that is why, totally.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:14 am
Quote:
Seems to adapt to the reader? Hmmm. I guess I always looked at it that the reader adapts to it. That is a very intriguing thought, Azure. I'm going to think on that.

I don't think it is so important to get the exact message of every passage; each individual will eventually be judged on their sincere understanding of the bible's message.

Plus, you can get a pretty good general understanding....i.e. the golden rule.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:12 pm
We often hear terminology from the devout that the Bible is God inspired or God breathed.

It must have been some heavy breathing that inspired Numbers 31:

1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
2 Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites: afterward shalt thou be gathered unto thy people...

6 And Moses sent them to the war, a thousand of every tribe, them and Phinehas the son of Eleazar the priest, to the war, with the holy instruments, and the trumpets to blow in his hand
7 And they warred against the Midianites, as the LORD commanded Moses; and they slew all the males...

9 And the children of Israel took all the women of Midian captives, and their little ones, and took the spoil of all their cattle, and all their flocks, and all their goods.
10 And they burnt all their cities wherein they dwelt, and all their goodly castles, with fire.
11 And they took all the spoil, and all the prey, both of men and of beasts.
12 And they brought the captives, and the prey, and the spoil, unto Moses, and Eleazar the priest, and unto the congregation of the children of Israel, unto the camp at the plains of Moab, which are by Jordan near Jericho...

15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?

17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves...

31 And Moses and Eleazar the priest did as the LORD commanded Moses.
32 And the booty, being the rest of the prey which the men of war had caught, was six hundred thousand and seventy thousand and five thousand sheep,
33 And threescore and twelve thousand beeves,
34 And threescore and one thousand asses,
35 And thirty and two thousand persons in all, of women that had not known man by lying with him.

What sort of esoteric inspiration can be made of the above accounting? Saddam Hussein could have taken lessons from this book.

I am hard pressed to find any redeeming quality in the above passages whether they be taken literally or allegorically. Try to imagine how ignorant these people were that, they included these stories in their oral tradition for hundreds of years, until someone learned to write then they wrote it down and created rules and laws that made it impossible for their embarrassed progeny, the Jews and Christians of today from altering or shredding the whole contemptable confession.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:32 pm
Actually, Mesquite, I think you might be surprised there.

Don't you think if they didn't understand these stories maybe they wouldn't have gotten out? Yes, I believe the Bible is divinely protected, but you don't, remember? So, if those people were so ignorant and these stories had no redemming quality as you seem to think and you think men wrote the Bible, why did men choose to leave these in the Bible?

These were evil people God was dealing with. He knew what was in their hearts. He knew their children would grow up doing the exact same thing as their parents, and I would guess on a grander scale.

It was God and the laws He gave men to follow in the Old Testament. The punishment was see ya! Well, they knew that. They were warned. They chose to continue in their wicked ways.

The New Testament (Christ) changed that. We have the laws of love and forgiveness. We have Christ taking our punishment for our sins.

I know you struggle with understanding this. If you didn't I don't think you'd keep bringing it up. For me, once I realized that I cannot constrain God's perfection or Holiness in any word, etc., I then came to understand things much clearer. If I kept trying to constrain God to my limited intelligence of being human, I kept having problems.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:18 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

Don't you think if they didn't understand these stories maybe they wouldn't have gotten out? Yes, I believe the Bible is divinely protected, but you don't, remember? So, if those people were so ignorant and these stories had no redemming quality as you seem to think and you think men wrote the Bible, why did men choose to leave these in the Bible?

Because in those days the development of morals was still in the pits. They just didn't know any better IMO.

Momma Angel wrote:
These were evil people God was dealing with. He knew what was in their hearts. He knew their children would grow up doing the exact same thing as their parents, and I would guess on a grander scale.

A close reading of the book of Numbers reveals that the great sin of the Midianites was that the Hebrew men had been coming into town and consorting with prostitutes of their cities and that then as now, they often came back home with sexually transmitted diseases, which they then promptly spread thoughout the camp. It's really getting to be quite a sordid story for the genesis of a world religion, don't you think?

The kids would grow up to be as bad or worse as their parents, so snuff them? Is that the best you can come up with? It was the Hebrew men that went carousing for Pete's sake. And their punishment?....oh yeah, they get to keep the young virgins for themselves. God sanctioned paedophilia, how pure.

Momma Angel wrote:
It was God and the laws He gave men to follow in the Old Testament. The punishment was see ya! Well, they knew that. They were warned. They chose to continue in their wicked ways.

Wrong, God's laws were for the Hebrews. He did not punish them for their carousing. He gave them booty. He was after all, their war god.

Momma Angel wrote:
The New Testament (Christ) changed that. We have the laws of love and forgiveness. We have Christ taking our punishment for our sins.

I can remember when you tried to convince me that "nothing changed" between the old and new testaments. here[/b] . That takes one heck of a stretch to compare the vengeful psychopathic war God of the OT to the loving, forgiving words of Jesus and say they are the same.

Momma Angel wrote:
I know you struggle with understanding this. If you didn't I don't think you'd keep bringing it up. For me, once I realized that I cannot constrain God's perfection or Holiness in any word, etc., I then came to understand things much clearer. If I kept trying to constrain God to my limited intelligence of being human, I kept having problems.[

MA, I have NO trouble understanding this. It is most obvious to me that the hebrew war god was concocted by a superstitious, unknowledgeable ancient civilization. Jehovah was a relatively new god to humanity at the time, being pretty much exclusive to his "chosen people", and they did not then or now go about doing much proselytizing to gain converts. According to this barbaric tribe of Hebrews the whole world was 'heathen and pagan' and in severe need of genocidal killing, except of course their virgin children, who did have some value after all.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:40 pm
Mesquite,

I just about had this replied to and I lost it! Anyway, gotta run for now. Will definitely be back though.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:49 pm
MA CI will prolly stay away - just so this topic does not get locked down again.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:20 pm
husker wrote:
The formula had to do with men that were somehow being spiritually guided in(by) the will of God.

Now that where it's gets dicey for folks that have not experienced the active live God(Holy Spirt) - that's not a belittlement or debase

That's for sure where it gets dicey for me, however that being the criteria, why is it that the bible is not a work in progress? There is certainly no shortage of people today that claim to be in touch with God. Why is their word no better than those whose credentials cannot be corraborated?

Just today I saw an article about a wannabe Governor of Az. that said he is being guided by God toward the job. Sounds kinda like what GW Bush once said.

Quote:
"I was coming to understand that God might be gently leading me into a new arena of public policy involvement," Munsil wrote recently as he announced his resignation from The Center for Arizona Policy to run for governor. The center is a conservative public policy group Munsil has headed the past 10 years.
One could spend lots of time trying to determine whether the phrase "new arena of public policy involvement" accurately characterizes the roles and duties of a governor.
But then, one could also spend considerable time wondering precisely just how God was "gently leading" Munsil into running.

http://www.azstarnet.com/opinion/110092
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:58 pm
mesquite wrote:
That's for sure where it gets dicey for me, however that being the criteria, why is it that the bible is not a work in progress? There is certainly no shortage of people today that claim to be in touch with God. Why is their word no better than those whose credentials cannot be corraborated?

Probably because 'authorizing' the current works that follow the evolution of true scripture would pretty much be the same as the Pope laying himself off. Permanently.

Stopping where it did, with the understandings of that particular time being held as the be-all, end-all of divine revelation and spiritual advancement, the idea of the 'word of God' being complete is both an imprisoning doctrine and true 'blasphemy of the Holy Spirit'--the same one that religious authorities promote as being proprietory only to their own agenda--
or, in non-theologian-speak--
it is scorning and denying the spirit of truth--and it is one more brick in the dead wall of religion.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:45 pm
Quote:
Momma Angel wrote:

Because in those days the development of morals was still in the pits. They just didn't know any better IMO.

You think their moral development was still in the pits? Ok, I will need a bit of clarification on that. I am not quite sure what you mean. So are you saying the ones that "wrote" the Bible were not smart enough to realize that someon would think that God is coming off a bit harsh? You think they were stupid? I guess I need a bit more from you on that too.

Momma Angel wrote:

A close reading of the book of Numbers reveals that the great sin of the Midianites was that the Hebrew men had been coming into town and consorting with prostitutes of their cities and that then as now, they often came back home with sexually transmitted diseases, which they then promptly spread thoughout the camp. It's really getting to be quite a sordid story for the genesis of a world religion, don't you think?

The kids would grow up to be as bad or worse as their parents, so snuff them? Is that the best you can come up with? It was the Hebrew men that went carousing for Pete's sake. And their punishment?....oh yeah, they get to keep the young virgins for themselves. God sanctioned paedophilia, how pure.

Mesquite, God is so pure you cannot look upon His face and live. Honestly, can you comprehend that? I can't fully comprehend that. So, if He is that perfect don't you think any sin to Him will be just the opposite of what He is? In my mind most definitely telling a lie comes nowhere close to being as bad a killing someone. But, that's MY mind. I don't think God looks at it that way. He has thinkgs He calls sins and things He calls abominations.

God knows everything. He knew whether or not the children of those people would grow up to be like their parents or not. I do not. Yes, it sounds like really unfair punishment to MY mind. But, again, not to God.

And as to God sanctioning paedophilia, well, that needs a bit more explanation from you on exactly what you mean.

Momma Angel wrote:

Wrong, God's laws were for the Hebrews. He did not punish them for their carousing. He gave them booty. He was after all, their war god.

Gods laws are meant for everyone. Not everyone accepts that. God's punishment often brought His people back to Him. Look at the Israelites when they left Egypt. Didn't got punish the ones that were worshipping the golden calf? Didn't God also punish coming generations because of the iniquity of the Israelites in the desert?

God knows there will always be those for Him and those against Him. He already knows who they are all. I don't even dare begin to think I understand why He did a lot of the stuff He did. But, it's like this. He is God. I am not. Just as I do not jump to conclusions when I am told of something someone has done or said, I don't with God either. I know God had His reasons. I know He is a just God.

Momma Angel wrote:

I can remember when you tried to convince me that "nothing changed" between the old and new testaments. here . That takes one heck of a stretch to compare the vengeful psychopathic war God of the OT to the loving, forgiving words of Jesus and say they are the same.

Actually, it doesn't take a stretch at all. It only takes a leap of faith.

Momma Angel wrote:
I know you struggle with understanding this. If you didn't I don't think you'd keep bringing it up. For me, once I realized that I cannot constrain God's perfection or Holiness in any word, etc., I then came to understand things much clearer. If I kept trying to constrain God to my limited intelligence of being human, I kept having problems.[

MA, I have NO trouble understanding this. It is most obvious to me that the hebrew war god was concocted by a superstitious, unknowledgeable ancient civilization. Jehovah was a relatively new god to humanity at the time, being pretty much exclusive to his "chosen people", and they did not then or now go about doing much proselytizing to gain converts. According to this barbaric tribe of Hebrews the whole world was 'heathen and pagan' and in severe need of genocidal killing, except of course their virgin children, who did have some value after all.

It's obvious to me that in the Old Testament there was God and man and law. You break the law, you get punished.

In the New Testament, Jesus Christ was born, lived, was crucified, died, was buried and resurrected for the forgiveness of sins. It's obvious to me in the New Testament the covenant with God is all about love and forgiveness.

Can you imagine how hard it might have been to find converts at the time in the Old Testament? The thing is, they didn't have Jesus at the time. They didn't have the love and forgiveness like Christ preached. They had God, man and the law. Yet, Christianity lives on. (Questioner, now, I see your point on that one! :wink: )
0 Replies