Chicago Cubs?

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 05:25 pm
I saw something, on ESPN I think, re the possibility that Dusty Baker is keeping some of those young arms in games too long. Something about Wood throwing 140+ pitches recently.

Any truth to this, Cub fans?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 05:28 pm
Nah, Wood's already had one arm surgery. What are the chances he'll need another one? Wink
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 07:13 pm
They won't be in first after today...
0 Replies

valgalmypal

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 08:16 am
Go Cubs win the World Series!!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 10:46 am
It may yet happen. They just better hope Dusty doesn't get one of those toothpicks lodged in his throat. I've seen those close-ups of the way he rolls 'em around in his mouth. Dangerous!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:55 pm
Way back in the middle of May, I wrote:
Listen, don't tell anyone in Houston this, but...

I could get cheerful for the Baby Bears.

Moises Alou has been one of my favorites for years. He needs to stay off the DL, and stay hot at the plate, but with that pitching--Wood, Prior, Clement--and a bully that stays tough (they are just now getting back their six-fingered closer, Alfonseca) they should be in it all the way to October.

Long as Sammy's toenail doesn't grow back ingrown again.

God, I'm a such a genius.

Yes, the Lizard does leave his starters in too long, but with that bullpen, I don't blame him.

Cubs and Red Sox in the Series.

It's all about the pitching.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 05:02 pm
Yes, you were prescient, all right, PDiddie. Please partake of this thread on the playoffs to share further Beautiful Thoughts on what may happen:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13082&start=30
0 Replies

jaijwbee

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 07:33 pm
as a lifelong Cardinals fan, it pains me to say this......Go Cubs! as long as its not the Yankees or Red Sox. man do i hate the AL. they don't even play real baseball. DH? what is this beer league softball?!? anyway...that's my 2cents
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 03:57 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:13 am
THE CURSE LIVES ON--UNBROKEN
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:21 am
Crying or Very sad

Evil or Very Mad

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:35 am
bozo managing of pitching.

Also, they began celebrating in the 7th inning of the sixth game.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:36 am
It's my fault, actually. When the Cubs jumped to an early lead, I said to the gf, "Oh, that's just what the Fish want. Cubs're gonna lose." And when the crowd gave a roaring standing ovation in the top of the seventh -- the 7th inning, for god's sake! -- I sais, "Uh, bad karma. Now they've gotta lose." I just didn't realize that what I said in my matchbox apartment had such far-reaching consequences. (Which reminds me, I've got to register to vote.)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:45 am
Don't take it so hard, patiodog, we all know it was really the fault of the dude in the stands in Game 6. He will live in infamy--mark my words--and I'm not a Cub fan.

A friend said I was mean to hope for the Cubs to lose the series after what happened in Game 6. But to me, the poetry was too good to ruin with an anti-climactic Cub win in Game 7. The dude would have been forgotten. Now he has the rest of his life to think about what he did.

Sorry if this sounds mean-spirited, but I'm a Joseph Conrad fan. I love the idea of a single mistake under pressure leading to a lifetime of guilt. If you want to hate me, Cub fans, do so for this: I root for the Braves...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:16 am
See, I missed the roaring standing ovation (7th inning???) via my Yahoo box score watching. That was, indeed, bad karma. Perhaps it wasn't all my fault after all.

D'art, I actually know what you mean. I really wonder what will happen to that guy.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:19 am
Soz, re the guy in the stands: It's nothing that a new identity in a new city can't fix...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:51 am
Theres always ha ha heee heee next year haaaa haa ha.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 12:51 pm
Right you are, farmerman, I tell myself the same thing. And the next year, again...
0 Replies