What evolutionary purpose does humor serve?

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:59 pm
Heeheeehehee, good one!

Oh, wait...
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:04 am
Humor could be a weapon or defensive by identifying the the outsider. See this thread regarding Esquires:

Esquires
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:07 am
Here is the quote:

I knew a guy, fairly middle class and stuck-up, who went to live in the country, in a village, I found out that the locals sarcastically referred to him as "The squire". They weren't being polite.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 06:09 am
Laughing soz.

I'm not sure I could live without humor.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:41 am
Freeduck here is your answer:

It is so when our 'developing' world finally shuts down due to global warming, pollution, and nuclear war, we will all be able to see the funny side.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:47 pm
Re: What evolutionary purpose does humor serve?
FreeDuck wrote:

It keeps ya from gettin' killed by people who otherwise don't like ya.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 05:33 pm
Cynics with sense of humor survive longer than gallants with highfaluting sense of honor.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 12:55 am
Re: What evolutionary purpose does humor serve?
FreeDuck wrote:

As the world around us becomes less funny - so humour is needed to keep the human race from going insane.

Part of our survival instinct? I've heard people say that the only thing that got them through a bad time of some sort, was their sense of humour.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 01:41 pm
Babies learn to smile early on--this may prevent some babies from being strangled in infancy.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 01:08 am
I remember my nephew's reaction first a few weeks after he was born. I softly touched his cheek and smiled at him. He looked at me and turned one side of his mouth down to show disdain as he done to one and all. We just smiled. Now five years later he is a cute little guy and smiles and bubbles with joy at the sight of us.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:15 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Babies learn to smile early on--this may prevent some babies from being strangled in infancy.

This one has merit. I have a photo of my daughter, less than an hour after birth, snuggling on my chest with a contented smile on her face. I swear it wasn't gas. She has been the laughingest child since then, and it has made parenting two little ones a hell of a lot more bearable.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:28 am
'humour' doesn't 'serve' any evolutionary purpose, as there are no purposes in evolutionary theory. Humour does, however have many benefits to mental health, as it softens the effects of reality, alows us to reflect on aspects of our lives in a 'less serious' way, and gives relationships a more intimate feel. These confer survival value, but are NOT 'purposes'!
[evolution just happens, and is tested by reality, but there is no design, or purpose involved]
0 Replies

shari6905

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:33 am
What about the aspects of humor in natural selection? Those who are straight faced and serious must die earlier that those of us who can laugh at lifes misfortune. Thats why we dont commit suicide. Soon the world will be full of comedians and shock value will be a thing of the past.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:46 am
if 'humour' helps an individual survive long enough to procreate successfully, then it has served a 'purpose' to that individual; but the evolutionary system did not 'intend' that to happen, or not happen; it has NO 'purpose'.
[we create purpose by our choices.]
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:27 am
Ok then. Why would the evolutionary system select and support the development of a sense of humor? We are told that natural selection is such that traits that benefit survival become more prevalent. So the question then would be how does humor benefit survival? I apologize if the word "purpose" conveyed a meaning other than what was intended.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:45 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Ok then. Why would the evolutionary system select and support the development of a sense of humor? We are told that natural selection is such that traits that benefit survival become more prevalent. So the question then would be how does humor benefit survival?

Not everything has a specific survival purpose. Everything starts off as an accident before it is affected by natural selection, and many things just endure because they don't reduce the chance of reproduction.

Also, there are sexually selected traits. Maybe females just like guys who can make them laugh. It's a fairly common request in dating.

I think Natural Selection is more of a culling of detrimental traits, rather than a selection of beneficial traits. But a wide spew of traits appear in many populations.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:32 am
All of this is based on a matriarchal society. For most of human history patriarchal systems dominated so females selecting funny men for mating is not the issue but a clubbed beautiful female was the most probable means of procreation.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:51 am
I've gone long periods of time without laughing, and it leads to problems.

I think humor in a human being is some indication of health. Some one who never laughs is probably not well.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:55 am
Laughing can also sometimes be detrimental to your health.

I've been punched in the mouth before - for laughing at something I found truly, hysterically funny.

Confused
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:03 am
Laughter--and a sense on humor--can counterbalance anger.
0 Replies