What evolutionary purpose does humor serve?

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 02:27 pm
My wife does both at the same time.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:07 pm
I read this book awhile back by a Mike Dugan called Men Fake Foreplay and Other True Lies.

At first I thought is was just an excuse to tell some man/woman relationship jokes (turns out he's a comedy writer) but once he got you entertained, he started throwing out some real pearls.

He made the coment that so many women say they want a man with a sense of humor. I'm sure men say the same thing, I mean who doesn't want to be paired with someone with a good sense of humor.

Here's the point....It's not that we mean we want to be with someone who makes us laugh constantly. Can you imagine being married to Robin Williams if he were "on" all the time?

Having a sense of humor means the laughing funny kind, but it more means having the ability to roll with life's punches. It's being able to see the lighter side of things, and that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. It means that you're not going to abandon ship when the going gets tough, that you'll stay because you believe things will always get better, and can see the innate silliness of life.

Now this particular writer got pretty tough on guys at the end, so the following aren't my words folks, this goes for women too I'm sure. Dugan basically came right out and said that women aren't going to want to go in for the long term with a guy who's idea of a relationship is the hanging out with the guys, getting stupid drinking beer, pull my finger fun. That's ok once in a while, but hey, c'mon. ahem, he further deemed that a man who expected to live life with this fraternity boy attitude didn't deserve a good woman.

What I found amusing there is that he could say that and it was fine, but if a woman did, she'd be nagging.

So yeah, getting back to the humor thing, I think it's a critical attribute to have in a relationship. It's what keeps both sexes from bashing each others brains in.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:22 pm
m'Lud says
Quote:

Does she allow you to watch?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:25 pm
farmerman wrote:
m'Lud says
Quote:

Does she allow you to watch?

Yes, as long as the milkman doesn't find it offputting.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:26 pm
chai says
Quote:
Dugan basically came right out and said that women aren't going to want to go in for the long term with a guy who's idea of a relationship is the hanging out with the guys, getting stupid drinking beer, pull my finger fun. That's ok once in a while, but hey, c'mon. ahem, he further deemed that a man who expected to live life with this fraternity boy attitude didn't deserve a good woman.

Well, Dugans a doofus. He fails to distinguish the sensual benefits of humor as differentiated from just being juvenile. I would imagine that women find Steve Martin sexier than Carrottop. I do and Im straight.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:38 pm
Humour is incredibly sexy methinketh.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:41 pm
Me too. I find it to be a sign of intelligence, but that's just me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:42 pm
I make you lAUGH long time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:43 pm
Chai said:

"Dugan basically came right out and said that women aren't going to want to go in for the long term with a guy who's idea of a relationship is the hanging out with the guys, getting stupid drinking beer, pull my finger fun. That's ok once in a while, but hey, c'mon. ahem, he further deemed that a man who expected to live life with this fraternity boy attitude didn't deserve a good woman."

Not sure if that makes a difference, evolutionarily speaking.....he just needs to impregnate, and mebbe hang around for a couple of years to help get the kids through their most vulnerable bit, in order to have his genes continue to swim in the pool.

Interestingly, it seems that 2 years, approximately, is about how long the insanely blind bit of lust/love lasts........

Another strategy, which seems to work for a number of males in a number of species, is the "nookie on the side" with a female, while the male mate earnestly thinks he is the dad of whatever critters get born, or laid, or whatever.

As long as frat boy can look charming for a bit, he has a chance that his boys will be there for the long haul.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:43 pm
Evolutionarilylyly speaking, could be that it's a sign of being able to co-exist long enough to get the offspring raised and self-sufficient.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:45 pm
heehee,,,and not kill the cubs, or your co parent?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:48 pm
If I just hadn't put those extra "ly"s in there I would've gotten in first -- though for saying the same thing it was kinda opposite... hmmm. Guess it depends on how long the vulnerable period is.

There has also been stuff recently about how FEMALES of the species, contrary to stereotype, tend to get a lot on the side but be surpassingly secretive about it, so whatever male is around thinks the offspring is his and acts accordingly, but she gets more genetic variety. (Did I just say the same thing as you again? I'm a bit off today...)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:52 pm
farmerman wrote:
I make you lAUGH long time.

I give you fye dollah! Fye dollah!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:54 pm
sozobe wrote:
If I just hadn't put those extra "ly"s in there I would've gotten in first -- though for saying the same thing it was kinda opposite... hmmm. Guess it depends on how long the vulnerable period is.

There has also been stuff recently about how FEMALES of the species, contrary to stereotype, tend to get a lot on the side but be surpassingly secretive about it, so whatever male is around thinks the offspring is his and acts accordingly, but she gets more genetic variety. (Did I just say the same thing as you again? I'm a bit off today...)

I think I read something about that. While I am not surprised that women desire to get some on the side, I am surprised that so many would risk it (when already having children requiring care) but maybe that's just me. I'm a terrible liar and wouldn't be able to pull it off.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:58 pm
Hence the secrecy!

The conclusion (I don't quite remember) was something like males and females do it roughly equally, but females are more secretive/ careful about it and hence the stereotype has become that men do it more.

And something about how if the male thinks it MIGHT be his he'll stick around. (OK now I have to go try to find it...)
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:00 pm
Hi. Great topic.

I see your five dollars and raise you one!

Seriously though, from an English major perspective--who minored in anthropology (so there)--the ultimate purpose humor serves in a human society or culture . . .

Whoops! I gotta run
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:04 pm
sozobe wrote:

Hehee...yes you did, bt with the female in the active role.

Look guys, let's face it, new nookie is exciting nookie.

Even animals, it seems, like to spice up their sex lives with danger...AND, I guess, it gives HER genes more chance to survive, if she mixes up the heredity a bit.

My understanding is, that the more we test for it in animal species (and, I would suggest, in humans) the more we find the goils have been busy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:16 pm
That sounds about right.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:56 pm
Re: What evolutionary purpose does humor serve?
FreeDuck wrote:
Maybe this doesn't really belong in philosophy, but I don't know where else to put it. I'm wondering if anyone can think of a good reason for humans to have developed humor in the context of survival. Any ideas?

Well, humor helps you get some enjoyment out of unexpected turns in life, including some that would otherwise intimidate you. I wouldn't be surprised if people with a sense of humor can cope with weird situations better than people without one. (For anyone who has read My Family and Other Animals, I am thinking about the contrast between Gerald Durrell and his stern brother Lawrence. I wouldn't trust Lawrence to survive in a jungle for very long.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:58 pm
Fer sure!

(See, putting "Gerald Durrell" in my keywords attracts the cool people... ;-))
0 Replies