Trapped miners in WVa

JPB

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:31 pm
I was just watching the press conference on the status of the trapped miners in West Virginia. The levels of CO in the drill shaft are still too high to support life, but hope remains that the miners were able to barricade themselves in a pocket of viable air.

When asked what additional support could be given by the community, Ben Hatfield of the International Coal Group, Inc responded that they have plenty of food and supplies for the rescuers but what they need now is prayers.

So, if you're so minded, please join me in sending out whatever special thoughts you feel are appropriate.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,399 • Replies: 44
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:35 pm
Excellent idea J_B!

We have done so yesterday, and my thoughts go out to
the trapped miners and their families. Let there be a miracle
in the first days of the New Year....
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:25 pm
More than happy to do so, J_B!
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:24 pm
Don't have a God to pray to J_B... but my heart goes out for them all, let's hope there is a pocket of air there for them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:07 pm
I've been thinking about those poop miners off and on for a day and a half. Will continue to do so - thanks for the reminder.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:25 pm
poop miners?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:26 pm
What a horrible job that must be.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:02 pm
I just heard on the news that they have found the body of one of the miners. Twelve are still missing. My prayers are going out to them and their familes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:17 pm
Ah..... this is it. I'm sorry. I was caught up in my typo 'moners' could have been 'poop moners'.

Sorry. Serious thread.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:13 pm
May the gentleness of all the gods go with them--and with their families.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:25 pm
Yahoo is saying that there might be hope for 12 of them:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060104/ts_nm/minerals_explosion_dc
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:32 pm
LionTamer--

Thanks for the positive news.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:44 pm
Yes, thanx for that LionTamerX. We will continue to pray and send out good thoughts.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 02:24 am
Wierd night, huh? First one dead, then we hear 12 were found alive, now the news is the good news was premature - 12 dead, one alive but in critical condition. Not only that, but it seems at this point the deathtoll was known by officials for some time - hours - while the townsfolk and media celebrated the rescue that didn't really happen.

Gonna be some lawyers on this in the morning - bet on that.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 07:54 am
My thoughts and prayers to the families, friends and other co-workers of the deceased and to lone survivor who remains in critical condition.

May those who died rest in peace, may their families know we share their pain, may the young man whose life hangs on the wind gain strength from our support.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 07:57 am
I don't believe you can blame the officials for this one, timber. It is my understanding that someone came up from the shaft and said something to the effect that twelve had been found... one alive. Someone standing nearby heard the "twelve" and "alive" and immediately got on his cell phone and the news spread like wildfire that all twelve were alive.

The officials essentially had their hands tied because they weren't completely aware of the situation happening below.

When they were absolutely certain of the outcome they made the announcement.

I can not even begin to imagine the emotional rollercoaster those poor mining families went through.

A true tragedy in every sense of the word.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:07 am
Yes, Gus, a macabre turn of events, but at least the one survivor has shown positive signs.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:28 am
I agree the officials are blameless, but you know how these things work. That dripping sound you hear isn't condensate falling from the roof and walls of the mine, its from the gathering flock of salivating lawyers.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:01 am
Timber,

When I first read that part "twelve found alive" I started crying with joy! But then, as I went on and read in your post they were not alive, my tears turned to pain.

Those poor families! For a brief while they were rejoicing and then it was taken away. I can only imagine how terrible that must have been for them.

It makes me realize even more just how important it is that the complete story needs to be learned before sharing it.

My prayers and thoughts are with all the families and loved ones of the miners that were lost. I am praying for the survivor. Perhaps he can shed some light for the rest of the world on this. My most fervent prayer is that people become more aware of how words can effect others and should know the whole story before leaking any information.
0 Replies

leah140

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 01:51 pm
ok, i have been watchin the news in the uk, and the press are saying that 1 miner died, and 12 survived....but infact it is the other way round, 12 have died and only 1 has survived. what a way to satrt the new year. god? i dont think so
0 Replies