Protecting Wooden Tabletops---Can you?

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:04 pm
hello i just bought a beautiful wooden kitchen table and i was wondering if there is any product i could put on, paint on whatever to be able to see the beautiful wood but protect it from chips and scratches. Does anything exist any info would be great thanks!!!! i know you can also get glass cut to put over tops but thats a little nerve racking seeing as we have parties and i dont want to worry about my table glass shattering. Anything out there like lamenating a table top haha?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 852 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:22 pm
You can buy clear plastic tableclothes. Looks a little bizarre but it will do the job.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:23 pm
You can get a plastic resin to protect the table. You may have seen this on some of the wooden bars in restaurants or bars. I do not know the exact name, but a google search of plastic resins should yield some results.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:28 pm
There is such thing as shatterproof glass and it is
probably the best solution to any other top. If you laminate
the table you won't see the wood underneath, and if you
cover it with padding and tableclothes, you won't see anything
either.

I have a huge round kitchentable made of Pine and over
the years has had its fair share of scratches, but somehow
the worn-in look looks quite well.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:34 pm
Worn is good.....I agree with CJ. It will look like an antique in no time, and will save on your stress levels. Matt or satin (silk) varnish is what I would use, just in case of wine spills.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:36 pm
I'm in agreement with CJ. If you just bought a "beautiful" table why would you want to muck it up by coating it with something?

Go to a glass specialty shop and tell them what you are trying to do. They can make you a topper from laminated, tempered glass that would be fairly shatter resistant and if it does shatter it would just crack instead of flying in a million pieces. (This is the same stuff they make car windshields out of!)
0 Replies

abe froman

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:45 pm
Thank you all, the quickest and best answer/response site ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah thats sounding good i do like the distressed look too but if i could keep the table clean and clear of defects by using the glass as you have said may be just what i need thanks any more ideas are appreciated
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 05:26 pm
Watco Teak gives a fairly decent protection, leaving the wood looking and feeling like wood. It's a cinch to apply, too.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 05:45 pm
roger, won't watco teak alter the color of the wood though?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:33 pm
It gives it a slight yellowish tinge, but if you don't have the bare wood for comparison, you'd never know the difference. Not, their teak oil does do this a bit more than the Watco Danish, but gives better moisture and abrasion resistance. It's a trade off, but that would be my choice. He can always treat a spot on the underside and see how it looks.
0 Replies