What? Are you kidding me?

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:32 pm
I just heard something and wanted to know if anyone else has ever heard of this. I will also do some research but am looking for some kneejerk reactions to this right now.

This is what I heard:

Quote:
Gravity was actually disproved about five years ago. There is something now called Intelligent Falling?

Shocked Mind you, I have no clue about that statement. I'm just curious if anyone has heard of this. I'm going to look it up right now too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,800 • Replies: 22
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:33 pm
Methinks it was sarcasm.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:35 pm
That'd be my guess too.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:36 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Methinks it was sarcasm.

FreeDuck,

I swear to you. It is not sarcasm. I am listening to this conversation in a chat room. They are discussing this topic right now. They are really talking about evolution a lot and this came into the conversation.

They haven't said a whole lot more about it yet, but they keep mentioning it.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:37 pm
Yeah, I've heard of the theory that gravity may be an "illusion" (whatever that word means), but I have never heard that gravity was "disproved."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:37 pm
Is it possibly the person that is pro-evolution who keeps saying it?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:38 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Is it possibly the person that is pro-evolution who keeps saying it?

FreeDuck,

Yes, as a matter of fact he is pro-evolution. He seems to be very knowledgeable about it too. But, I'm so totally clueless about evolution what he says is like genius to me.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:40 pm
MA, for some reason, alot of things are being called intelligent this and that now days.

Also, they think they are starting to find out that we and the world around us don't realy exist, that we are just energy, or particles of matter, etc.

Insane I tell ya.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:40 pm
Then he is definitely being sarcastic. Intelligent Design, Intelligent Falling.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:47 pm
Ok, I PM'd the guy saying that stuff and he said, yes, he was being sarcastic but he knew he didn't put the sarcasm in his voice. Took me forever to get his attention to ask him.

Scared me for a minute there! I thought I might start floating in the air or something!

Thanx everyone.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:47 pm
It was obviously a joke, but the real humor is in your failure to recognize it Razz
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:50 pm
Doktor S,

I'm not very educated when it comes to science and things like that. I knew on A2K I could probably get an answer fairly quickly.

Thank you everyone that answered me.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:52 pm
Heehee..you funny momma. Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:59 pm
I wasn't trying to be funny. I honestly had no clue. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 12:03 am
I have two degrees in physics, so I believe I can answer this authoritatively. Actually, Intelligent Falling is an old idea, largely abandoned when Isaac Newton formulated his theory of gravity in the 17th century. It postulated that God helped objects to fall since the impersonal action of a gravitational force alone couldn't acount for it. Sometimes people who believe in evolution talk about it in an attempt to demonstrate that Intelligent Design is foolish.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 12:29 am
That post clarified a lot of things Brandon. You learn something new everyday...
0 Replies

georgia brown

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 12:40 am
the meaning of everything will be changed eventual, society today is unsatisfied the meaning of words. gravity now or gravity later?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 01:23 am
Sir Isaac Newton did not explain what caused gravity except that it followed the inverse square law which is descriptive of a field of attractive energy spreading spherically. In short he described how gravity behaved but gave no explanation for its existence. There are all kinds of theories now of gravitons, etc. Maybe there will be an explanation for gravity in the future.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:20 am
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Falling

Momma et al.- I hope that everyone understands about the nature of "The Onion"! Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:31 am
Thanx for those links, Phoenix. I was in the middle of a bunch of stuff and was listening to a voicechat and that discussion came up.

Those guys were sounding so serious and I was so shocked. I guess shocked is the right word. I had never heard that about gravity and intelligent falling before.

I am so glad for A2K! I know I might have sounded stupid to some because I didn't know, but I think the only stupid question is the one not asked. :wink:
0 Replies